Thems

Guest Stevie

If you've got someone to abuse fyckin put it in here of just ignore the thread. You see them threads people have made a big effort fuckin "0 replies 147 views" its a collective look you muh this post is wank.

Anyway, if some can tell me an interestin fact I didnt know about the north east I will dnate Gloves' 10a to a charity of your choice.

;)

• 6 months later...
Guest Tuco Ramirez
There is a river running under Grey St. and Dean St. called the Lort Burn. This is Old English for "Shit Burn".

A bridge which crossed the burn still exists under Grey St. As it was simply incorporated when the burn was culverted.

It is where High Bridge crosses Grey St. hence the name.

I've a photo of it somewhere. Will see if I can dig it out later.

DIG it oot

There is a river running under Grey St. and Dean St. called the Lort Burn. This is Old English for "Shit Burn".

A bridge which crossed the burn still exists under Grey St. As it was simply incorporated when the burn was culverted.

It is where High Bridge crosses Grey St. hence the name.

I've a photo of it somewhere. Will see if I can dig it out later.

DIG it oot

Hunted high and low.

It was in a book I had of photos called Hidden Newcastle.

There's also a medieval Jewish cemetery behind Tilleys.

The building Tilleys is part of had to be built around it, and has a small internal courtyard where the cemetery is.

I've seen it when I did some work on the building.

Pretty overgrown but you can still see some Hebrew inscriptions.

In Medieval times, Newcastle was divided by several streams or burns flowing towards the River Tyne. Several of the roads have the term bridge in their names although no water is visible today. Examples are Barras Bridge, New Bridge Street, High Bridge and Low Bridge. They were often important sites for industry and settlement but hampered communications and development. As the town expanded they were filled in and now flow in culverts buried deep below the surface.

The Skinner Burn was culverted between 1840 and 1859. It flows under Bath Lane from just south of Corporation Street, beneath Thornton Street, then west of Clayton Street West, around the site of the old abattoir, and down the east edge of Forth Banks into the Tyne where there is a small outlet in the river wall.

The Lort Burn rises in Leazes, between Barrack Road and Richardson Road, then runs across Richardson Road just north of the junction with Queen Victoria Road, down the north side of St. Thomas Street and bends south just after the junction with Percy Street and on beneath Grey Street and Dean Street and the Side. It was crossed by the High and Low Bridges. The Lort Burn was fully covered in 1784 because it was considered as "a vast nauseous hollow… a place of filth and dirt"

The Pandon Burn was a deep and wide glacial valley. It was crossed by Barras Bridge and New Bridge Street. The valley was filled in over the culverted stream in several stages, completed by 1886. Its waters are joined, before reaching the river, by the Erick Burn, which flows beneath the Laing Art Gallery. In 1977, during President Carter's visit to Newcastle, part of the infill of Pandon Dene south of the Civic Centre, subsided under the weight of the crowd.

The Scottish language is born out of Northumbrian largely, not the other way around.

I've had this with you before...its not :D

They are both (that is the Geordie and the Lowlands Scots dialects, because thats what they are,dialects) from the Anglian root of what is now called called Old English.

The oldest existing poem in Old English is by a bard called Aneirin, where he describes a raid form old Northumbria down to Catterick. You can see what remains of it it in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, where it was written 1400 years ago.

:D

Yes, indeed you're correct. What I should be saying is that the Scottish dialect is heavily infuenced from Northumbrian Old English ;)

Just East of the Tyne pub in Ouseburn is the site of an overflow cemetery full of the victims of the last major Cholera outbreak in Newcastle.

The green bounded by Ford St. And Cross St. is where it was.

There's a footpath there which I'm pretty sure is made up of some of the old headstones.

The quayside 'Chares', Broad Chare, Peppercorn Chare etc. are what remains of old docks along the river dating back to Roman times.

When the Law Courts were being built, the car park at the back was excavated and the old Medieval and Roman quays were uncovered.

The 'chares' are the bits the ships would pull in to. If they came in empty, they'd tip their ballast over the side, and gradually the docks filled up and became unusable.

Some of the older buildings down there are the long narrow warehouses which were built on the jettys coming out into the river

e.g. The Wetherspoons next to the BT centre.

One of the first examples of prisoners being used as human shields occurred in our fair city.

I forget the exact details, but the Jocks had us under siege and began firing canon at the Keep.

We had several of their top boys as prisoners, and they were tied to the West Wall of the keep , in view of the attacking jocks.

No more canon, the keep survived, the siege was broken.

Don't fuck with the Geordies

A bakers dozen means thirteen. This old saying is said to come from the days when bakers were severely punished for baking underweight loaves. Some added a loaf to a batch of a dozen to be above suspicion.

I've been told Dog Leap Stairs are so called because they led to the old butchers area of the Town, and all the mutts would congregate there for any scraps.

Silver Street, the remains of which run between the Tax Offices and the circular church at our end of the Tyne Bridge( St. Marys? Anyone), was unsurprisingly the street where the silversmiths plyed there trade.

The vast majority of these silversmiths were Jewish.

I'd be interested to see if the current Hacidic community in Gateshead are the descendants of what was once a sizeable Jewish community in Old Newcastle?

Just East of the Tyne pub in Ouseburn is the site of an overflow cemetery full of the victims of the last major Cholera outbreak in Newcastle.

There's a footpath there which I'm pretty sure is made up of some of the old headstones.

Back of the Ouseburn school theres a path made of headstones

That'll be the one.

Is it beside the green?

The Scottish language is born out of Northumbrian largely, not the other way around.

I've had this with you before...its not :D

They are both (that is the Geordie and the Lowlands Scots dialects, because thats what they are,dialects) from the Anglian root of what is now called called Old English.

The oldest existing poem in Old English is by a bard called Aneirin, where he describes a raid form old Northumbria down to Catterick. You can see what remains of it it in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, where it was written 1400 years ago.

;)

Yes, indeed you're correct. What I should be saying is that the Scottish dialect is heavily infuenced from Northumbrian Old English :D

1400 years ago Northumbria strecthed from Edinburgh to North Yorkshire so the people on both sides of the Tweed spoke pretty much the same language. The big change came after the Battle of Carham in 1018 when Malcom II,King of Scots, defeated a Northumbrian army on the banks of the Tweed between Kelso and Coldstream. Its a little known punch up, but it basically created the Tweed as the border between England and Scotland, as it remains to this day. This is the point where the common language split into different dialects, but still using the same words..e.g. bairn, cuddy, lowse etc etc...to the modern ear those north of the Tweed got a dialect with much in common with other parts of Scotland but it is very different from the dialect in Glasgow or Inverness etc.

The Gaelic speeaking kings of Scotland, who had been seeking to expand into the Lothians and Borders for around 100 years before the battle, were completely alien to the natives of the Tweed valley, who had been under the influence of the prince bishops at Durham Cathedral (the real power in Nothumbria,despite the Dukes at Bamburgh) for 400 years at that point. And it took a long time for that influence to truly fade; up until the mid 1800s the middle arch on the old bridge at Berwick marked the border between Berwick town council and land owned and goverened by the Church of England at Durham :D

That'll be the one.

Is it beside the green?

I'd call it a field but you can call it a green if you want.

That'll be the one.

Is it beside the green?

I'd call it a field but you can call it a green if you want.

Tomayto tomato.

The grassy bit.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tuco Ramirez

I had a goodun the other night, that I've never heard before some smart alec will have. Whitley Bay was apparently hit by a 100 foot tidal wave a few hundred years ago and it came in as far as North Shields on land.