Newcastle United 5-1 Cardiff City

Deano

Like I said in the other thread though, the team virtually picked itself last night. The midfield did anyway which was the area that made the big difference and he wouldn't have picked that side if Smith and Butt were available imo. Not having a go at him I just don't think he deserves much credit for it either.

Fair point re midfield, but let's also bear in mind how many of that team last night are "his" players since taking over. The formation might have been forced, but 6 or7 of that team are at Newcastle because he got them

and for that he does deserve credit.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said in the other thread though, the team virtually picked itself last night. The midfield did anyway which was the area that made the big difference and he wouldn't have picked that side if Smith and Butt were available imo. Not having a go at him I just don't think he deserves much credit for it either.

Fair point re midfield, but let's also bear in mind how many of that team last night are "his" players since taking over. The formation might have been forced, but 6 or7 of that team are at Newcastle because he got them

That's a different thing though. He was being praised for the selection, wasn't he?

Can't remember and as I'm at work and on the bat phone it's hard to keep track when a discussion cross threads!

My point in both threads however is that given his coaching abilities, which are meant to be sound, he may now be learning in the other parts of the job which will make him a decent manager.

Particularly bearing in mind the dross out there on the manager merry go round.

Can't remember and as I'm at work and on the bat phone it's hard to keep track when a discussion cross threads!

I was replying to Parky which was the post above mine. As for Hughton, I keep hearing about what a good coach he is but I don't think his tactics have borne that out of late. Last week against Leicester being a case in point. I don't think Ashley will replace him in the summer but that's Glen Roeder all over again for me, although I think Roeder's probably a better coach / manager and was certainly more tactically astute. Re: his signings, are they even 'his'?

I'm surprised no ones mentioned anything they seen off the pitch. Even in the tunnel before the game it was going off a bit, afterwards bother seemed to be everywhere, and before the game heard a lot happened. A lot of faces you only see for Sunderland turned out. Heard two accounts of 10-20 Shrewsbury coming up to fight the welsh ;) what a funny old night. All in all if those Welsh were a good representation of Wales, I hope Scotland win today.

Aye was a bit of bother on Barrack road like, those welsh are fucking horrid rats like! But fair play they made some noise last night!

That's a different thing though. He was being praised for the selection, wasn't he?

Aye i think Guthrie and two wingers made a difference, Nolan or Smith in that other role wouldnt of made a difference but Nolan did do well.

Hughton deserved credit for his team selection last night although it was forced upon him somewhat with Smith and Colo's injuries.

Onwards and upwards!!

I do like our last goal tbh.. ;) Been a while since I've seen one of our forwards finish so sweetly :D

Carrols header was tremendous from a great ball.

Lovenkrands 1st was pretty good as he had to use strength to get by the defender and a clinical finish.

His 2nd was top drawer at any level, composed and tidy!

My favourite was Carrolls header though...

I do like our last goal tbh.. ;) Been a while since I've seen one of our forwards finish so sweetly :D

Carrols header was tremendous from a great ball.

Lovenkrands 1st was pretty good as he had to use strength to get by the defender and a clinical finish.

His 2nd was top drawer at any level, composed and tidy!

My favourite was Carrolls header though...

Yeah was a sweet cross - been saying all season that we haven't got anyone who can cross the ball.. hopefully yesterday's performance is a sign of things to come. I reckon AC could be alright, if we actually tried crossing to him.. oh and it was good to see crosses/corners actually beating the first defender or getting off the ground! Routledge looks ok.

Carroll won loads of flick-ons last night as well.

Were the flick ons picked up by our players?

With Lovenkrands and now Routledge and Jonas on the wings, it's this kind of play that could cause a lot of problems to opposition.

With Lovenkrands and now Routledge and Jonas on the wings, it's this kind of play that could cause a lot of problems to opposition.

Best was quite a willing runner and Lovenkrands latched onto a few too.

Best was quite a willing runner and Lovenkrands latched onto a few too.

Carroll last night showed exactly what he is all about, like craggs said hopefully this is signs of things to come.

Simpson and Enrique (when fit) supplying Routledge and Jonas down the wings and also crossing from deep.

Best looked OK.

Lol.. a: I don't think he could believe his luck..b: it came to him quick.. c: he was off side anyway, so I expect he really didn't expect the ball to arrive and does it matter.. sounded to me like he chased them the whole time he was on... we need to close teams down and if he runs his legs off I'm not going to moan that he missed a header..

any highlights that aren't someone videoing their tv?

On the BBC Sport site now

Commentator sounds like something from a 30's war propaganda film ;)

Peter Brackley isn't it? I remember his dulcet tones from Football Italia on Channel 4.

The theme tune :D .

Edited by The Mighty Hog