If promoted who are we replacing Hughton with?

Park Life

When you look at the league I think what the team is doing (overall rather than the last few games) is approximately what you'd call 'par for the course'. How much of it is down to Hughton is debatable though. But to argue we should stick with Hughton if we go up is like saying we don't need to sign any more players for next season as the current lot 'deserve their chance'.

Hang on, the majority on here were saying we'd finish mid-table at best. Acca-spacca was derided for suggesting we'd win the league. So we can't be 'par for the course', we are vastly overachieving against most people's expectations.

Having said that, I agree that the football is not good to watch and without serious strengthening will see us relegated from the PL before March.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you look at the league I think what the team is doing (overall rather than the last few games) is approximately what you'd call 'par for the course'. How much of it is down to Hughton is debatable though. But to argue we should stick with Hughton if we go up is like saying we don't need to sign any more players for next season as the current lot 'deserve their chance'.

Hang on, the majority on here were saying we'd finish mid-table at best. Acca-spacca was derided for suggesting we'd win the league. So we can't be 'par for the course', we are vastly overachieving against most people's expectations.

Having said that, I agree that the football is not good to watch and without serious strengthening will see us relegated from the PL before March.

I think it's more a case that the league is a lot more shit than we anticipated rather than us over-performing.

I think it's more a case that the league is a lot more shit than we anticipated rather than us over-performing.

Nail on the head.

Which is exactly what AccaDacca was telling everyone from Day 1

I'd seen very little Championship football prior to this season, I based what I just said on having seen the league this season. And I've said on more than one occasion AC/DC has been proven to be correct about a lot of things.

Edited by alex

I reckon it depends if theres a buy-out in the summer. If the fat man sells up, then i'm hopeful of someone v good. Esp if new owners back the club with a large sum for transfers, be a good challenge for a lot of world class managers.

(Dear Santa, Ive been a very good boy this year and I only ask for three things this christmas. 1) Make the cockney bastard disappear 2) Make some really wealthy Arab come in to financially back the team and club 3) Send Chris Hughton to anger management school, leaving the job vancant for J. Mourinho. :-) Please Santa, your a geordie thru and thru, you want it too!)

Fuck off!

Overachieving? Haha FUCK OFF once more!

We drop out of the PL after how many years in the top flight? After how many years competeing for european places?

FUCK OFF

We are completely and utterly underachieving this season IMO!! IMO!! IMO! (yes iv have a few beers!)

I know we are top of the league but do we deserve to be? No!

Are we playing PL football in the CCC? No!

We have a squad of players who by the majority are accostmoed to the PL...does that show? No!

ARE WE UNDERACHIEVING? YES!

Accadacca was rite in saying we should piss this league, we should, so should Forest and WBA...this league is shit but we are SADLY not much better.

Drunken rant over... :D;)

However, if the supporters buy the club off Ashley we can bring the Keegler back and enjoy exciting football once again :icon_lol:

For once in my life I'd like SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL rather than excitement

And you're advocating sticking with Hughton? ;)

Surely you've been posting here long enough to know that Rob's views are often unsubstantiated? :D

I've watched this lot for damn near 50 years and we are not successful because we have no stability - a couple of wins and everyone thinks we're the best team in the WORLD/GALAXY/UNIVERSE

To plan on changing a winning manager just because he has no personal style or personality seems crazy to me - you lads seem to want A BIG NAME - well which successful top rate manager is going to join NUFC FFS when we';re just out of Div2???

You'll get Peytar Read or someone like that

Fuck off!

Overachieving? Haha FUCK OFF once more!

We drop out of the PL after how many years in the top flight? After how many years competeing for european places?

FUCK OFF

We are completely and utterly underachieving this season IMO!! IMO!! IMO! (yes iv have a few beers!)

I know we are top of the league but do we deserve to be? No!

Are we playing PL football in the CCC? No!

We have a squad of players who by the majority are accostmoed to the PL...does that show? No!

ARE WE UNDERACHIEVING? YES!

Accadacca was rite in saying we should piss this league, we should, so should Forest and WBA...this league is shit but we are SADLY not much better.

Drunken rant over... :D;)

How can you underachieve when you're top? We actually have to win this League before we can achieve owt else.....................

Taking a step back and looking at the situation. Hughton has done a fantastic job.

I was more worried about relegation than promotion when the season started and judging from the posts most people on here were expecting consolidating mid-table.

The priority is to get promoted again and Hughton has put us prime position for this. For this he deserves praise.

However, if the supporters buy the club off Ashley we can bring the Keegler back and enjoy exciting football once again :icon_lol:

For once in my life I'd like SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL rather than excitement

And you're advocating sticking with Hughton? ;)

Surely you've been posting here long enough to know that Rob's views are often unsubstantiated? :D

I've watched this lot for damn near 50 years and we are not successful because we have no stability - a couple of wins and everyone thinks we're the best team in the WORLD/GALAXY/UNIVERSE

To plan on changing a winning manager just because he has no personal style or personality seems crazy to me - you lads seem to want A BIG NAME - well which successful top rate manager is going to join NUFC FFS when we';re just out of Div2???

You'll get Peytar Read or someone like that

Stability = success does it? Someone better tell Real Madrid. The argument that you put any manager in place (especially one like Hughton), give him a few seasons and the 'stability' will bring you success is so facile I don't even know why I'm bothering. Ferguson and Wenger didn't bring success because of stability, it's the other way round. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I know you can point to Ferguson's early seasons etc. but that was a different era plus he was rebuilding a side and had achieved unbelievable things at Aberdeen. Both factors allowing him time someone like Hughton hasn't earned and never will imo. Keeping Hughton on is simply a cheap, easy option for the owner.

Taking a step back and looking at the situation. Hughton has done a fantastic job.

I was more worried about relegation than promotion when the season started and judging from the posts most people on here were expecting consolidating mid-table.

The priority is to get promoted again and Hughton has put us prime position for this. For this he deserves praise.

But he needs replacing when we're promoted yes?

I'll wait till the end of the season and if we go up...

If we get a few good players I think he can keep us up. Now if he can do that we might be in a good position to get a better manager.

I don't think we will get anyone better until Mike is shown he is willing to spend the cash needed or buggers off.

he is willing to spend the cash neeeded or buggers off.

Maybe. He might surprise us and will get a shot anyway. He didnt do very well last time but the whole club was in disarray, Shearer hardly managed any better but we wanted him to take over.

Maybe. He might surprise us and will get a shot anyway. He didnt do very well last time but the whole club was in disarray, Shearer hardly managed any better but we wanted him to take over.

Are you on medication?

Are you on medication?

Occasionally. Are you saying he hasn't done a good though?

Are you on medication?

It's difficult to gauge isn't it? It's a shit league and we've manged to keep together by hell or highwater the best defence in the league. In the CCC the likes of Taylor, Collo and Ricky are world class, sides have very few chances against us (even though we are often being outplayed) and most oftne than not they haven't proved good enough to take them. The way we are playing this wierd containing game with ocassional hoofs up the middle or Guti running down the left will get murdered in the PL, you just can't get away with it over a season. In short what I'm saying is that our positon in the table is misleading, the key indicator is how badly we're playing (in a shit league). There is no hope whatsoever that CH will survive past christmas in the PL. Better to bite the bullet in the summer and try and get a better manager or a real one at least. The longer we leave this problem the harder it will be to get out of it.

Edited by Park Life

I understand what you are saying but if he gets us promoted then there is no way Ashley is going to sack him in the summer. As I said earlier though, he has surprised us all by leading the league so maybe he'll manage to lead us to fourth bottom next year. Celebration time.

I understand what you are saying but if he gets us promoted then there is no way Ashley is going to sack him in the summer. As I said earlier though, he has surprised us all by leading the league so maybe he'll manage to lead us to fourth bottom next year. Celebration time.

You're probably right, but the last thing we need is to be scraping around for a manager at christmans with survival on the line.

Are you on medication?

It's difficult to gauge isn't it? It's a shit league and we've manged to keep together by hell or highwater the best defence in the league. In the CCC the likes of Taylor, Collo and Ricky are world class, sides have very few chances against us (even though we are often being outplayed) and most oftne than not they haven't proved good enough to take them. The way we are playing this wierd containing game with ocassional hoofs up the middle or Guti running down the left will get murdered in the PL, you just can't get away with it over a season. In short what I'm saying is that our positon in the table is misleading, the key indicator is how badly we're playing (in a shit league). There is no hope whatsoever that CH will survive past christmas in the PL. Better to bite the bullet in the summer and try and get a better manager or a real one at least. The longer we leave this problem the harder it will be to get out of it.

Whilst the tactics we are employing don't make good viewing it is effective, it is winning us games, we are not conceeding and Leicester aside it's a long time since we failed to score a goal.

I agree that we'll struggle if we play the same way in the PL, but that's next season. The question is, does CH have the tactical nouse to realise that and change to a more effective style for the Prem?

I think if you polled 100 toon regulars at the start of the season and offered them promotion with ugly football, every one of them would have said yes. Suddenly that's not good enough.

Edited by donaldstott

Are you on medication?

Whilst the tactics we are employing don't make good viewing it is effective, it is winning us games, we are not conceeding and Leicester aside it's a long time since we failed to score a goal.

I agree that we'll struggle if we play the same way in the PL, but that's next season. The question is, does CH have the tactical nouse to realise that and change to a more effective style for the Prem?

I think if you polled 100 toon regulars at the start of the season and offered them promotion with ugly football, every one of them would have said yes. Suddenly that's not good enough.

I don't really give a fuck what supporters think tbh. ;)

theres a difference between ugly football and the way we are constantly setting up, players out of position, players who arent performing still getting spots week in week out

all the signs of a manager with no balls and we can't afford that next season when we're more than likely to be in a desperate relegation battle

You're probably right, but the last thing we need is to be scraping around for a manager at christmans with survival on the line.

Aye far better to fire the one we have a week before the transfer window closes in the summer, spend a fortune on termination payments and bring in a load of tossers who have no idea what the players are like eh?

Aye far better to fire the one we have a week before the transfer window closes in the summer, spend a fortune on termination payments and bring in a load of tossers who have no idea what the players are like eh?

He's on peanuts.

How will we spend a fortune on termination payments for a manager who isn't on very much and only has another season after this in terms of his contract anyway? The whole point about Hughton is that he's gotten the job because he's a cheap, easy option. I don't expect him to get sacked come the summer but he'll be gone by Xmas imo. Then we'll be back to square one (or Joe Kinnear).