What are you drinking?

Guest alex

2 hours ago, Alex said:

JW Black Label is £20 on prime atm (as is chivas regal 12)

Usually at least one of the big supermarkets has it on sale at that price. It's basically how I choose which one I go to for the food shopping any given week.

• Haha 2

1:04ish for desperately sexy yank cocktail demonstration (with added first ever Boxing Day appearance of CLIFF RICHARD on TT :lol: ) we did the mince pie whisky sour yesterday and the mother in law loved it :thumbup:

Doing the punch today for the visitation of  constantly poorly auntie Mag, it’ll either kill or cure her :good:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001fy97

Was staying over my mams for Christmas as it's an easier drive to visit family. 

Got back from a night out and hit the spirits cabinet...only one was open. Brandy, "three barrels" or some shite.

I woke up and she said "Thomas have you been at that brandy? It's for bloody cakes man!" :lol: 

I am a man of taste.

• Haha 7

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Looks like Bushmills have discontinued their Honey whiskey. A mate loved it and I was gonna get him a bottle. 

Whats Black Bush like. (no funny business MF either) 

Im not massively fussy but prefer a Brazilian if I'm honest. 

More seriously, I think this thread has spoken that Black Label is the champion of good quality affordable blends, with Chivas being a close second. I'll sometimes settle for Aldi's Highland Black, Jameson Black Barrel or even Grouse Smokey Black as an alternative if I'm feeling particularly cheap but something about the smokey peat flavours feels a bit artificial and the hangovers are way worse than from  Mr Walkers Amber Restorative.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Looks like Bushmills have discontinued their Honey whiskey. A mate loved it and I was gonna get him a bottle. 

Very good, especially because it has not been adulterated with fucking honey

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Black Bush is really nice imo. It’s a blended whisky (spelt ‘whiskey’, technically - since it’s Irish - but it’s much more ‘Scotch’ in its character). It’s just Bushmills single malt with a little bit of grain whisky added. So it’s a very simple but high quality blend which is matured in Sherry casks. It’s not as good as a Sherry heavy single malt from Speyside (for example) but it’s also miles cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Black Bush is really nice imo. It’s a blended whisky (spelt ‘whiskey’, technically - since it’s Irish - but it’s much more ‘Scotch’ in its character). It’s just Bushmills single malt with a little bit of grain whisky added. So it’s a very simple but high quality blend which is matured in Sherry casks. It’s not as good as a Sherry heavy single malt from Speyside (for example) but it’s also miles cheaper. 

Hmmm I may go for a Speyside one.  We always like an Irish Whiskey as we both have Irish heritage, but it's always good to spread your wings.

On 28/12/2022 at 12:28, Gemmill said:

I quite like the idea of whisky but as it stands I'm still rocking a full set of working taste buds. 

Drinking whisky is a lot like smoking tabs. You have to endure a bit of pain at first before you realise what all the fuss is about 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Hmmm I may go for a Speyside one.  We always like an Irish Whiskey as we both have Irish heritage, but it's always good to spread your wings.

Tamnavulin Sherry Cask Edition might be worth a look in the cheap as chips Speyside single malts if you're not looking something peaty.  Fairly unremarkable but dangerously smooth. Usually easy to find at £20-£30 a bottle.  I'd probably drink it far more often if it was even slightly smokier. 

49 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Tamnavulin Sherry Cask Edition might be worth a look in the cheap as chips Speyside single malts if you're not looking something peaty.  Fairly unremarkable but dangerously smooth. Usually easy to find at £20-£30 a bottle.  I'd probably drink it far more often if it was even slightly smokier. 

The red wine cask is nice too. 

32 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

The red wine cask is nice too. 

Good to know, I look out for it. I was gifted a bottle of the Sherry Cask a few years ago and the first sip I think I got a bit angry and probably uttered words to the effect of "WHERE'S THE FUCKING PEAT?" but after another few mouthfuls had calmed down and found myself really liking it, so I'll pick it up sometimes if it's cheaper than Black Label.

14 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ve been In Bruges for the last couple of days. 

Had a nice pint of Fosters at McDonalds. 

Our local McDs is next door to a supermarket. I'll typically just order get a coffee and then abandon the missus and kids while they're eating their processed shite to go and browse the whisky isle. Much better system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Good to know, I look out for it. I was gifted a bottle of the Sherry Cask a few years ago and the first sip I think I got a bit angry and probably uttered words to the effect of "WHERE'S THE FUCKING PEAT?" but after another few mouthfuls had calmed down and found myself really liking it, so I'll pick it up sometimes if it's cheaper than Black Label.

Our local McDs is next door to a supermarket. I'll typically just order get a coffee and then abandon the missus and kids while they're eating their processed shite to go and browse the whisky isle. Much better system.

Morrison’s always has one of them on special offer 

• 2 weeks later...