Togo footballers shot in ambush

Happy Face

Gunmen have opened fire with machine guns on a bus carrying Togo's football team to the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola, wounding several players.

Officials say the shooting occurred in the Angolan oil-rich territory of Cabinda, where rebels have been fighting for independence.

The Angolan government called the incident an "act of terrorism". There are reports of serious injuries.

Togo is due to play its first game in Cabinda on Monday.

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor was on the bus but is unhurt. In a statement, Manchester City said Adebayor had been "shaken by the terrible events" but was "unharmed".

The bus was travelling to Cabinda from the squad's training ground in the Republic of Congo when the shooting happened.

"This was an act of terrorism," Cabinda affairs minister Bento Bembe told Reuters news agency.

However Africa Cup of Nations officials described the attackers as armed robbers.

Togo striker Thomas Dossevi told France's RMC radio that several players were "in a bad state".

"We were machine-gunned, like dogs," he said. "At the border with Angola - machine-gunned! I don't know why. I thought it was some rebels. We were under the seats of the bus for 20 minutes, trying to get away from the bullets."

The identities of those injured - who also included team doctors - are not known.

Togo are due to play Ghana, Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast in their group matches. Their first game is against Ghana

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8449319.stm

Doesn't bode well

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...bal&cc=5901

Midfielder Richmond Forson believes the number of injuries could have been much worse had the gunmen not originally fired on the wrong bus.

''It was the bus carrying our baggage which was in front of us which they fired on the most,'' he told Canal Plus. ''They thought we were in the bus in front.

''Fortunately for us. That's what saved us. Then they fired on our driver and those who were in front. The windscreen was shattered by the first bullets. It's disgusting to take bullets for a football match.''

Two players are reported to be injured and a Togolese sports ministry spokesman in Lome said that the bus driver had been killed in the attack.

"I am fine but several players are in a bad way," FC Nantes striker Thomas Dossevi told Radio Monte Carlo."We are still at hospital. We were attacked like dogs and had to hide for 20 minutes under the seats to avoid the bullets. We were shot, although we had two police coaches on our sides. There are two injured players and also some staff."

First the cricket and now this...

Just shy of a hundred years ago arms in the first world war were dropped for the sake of a game of sport and now fighting factions are actually targetting sport. Disgusting!

Angola has always had it's troubles mind. This will be music to the ears of those who reckon the World Cup should be held away from South Africa on the grounds of safety.

First the cricket and now this...

Just shy of a hundred years ago arms in the first world war were dropped for the sake of a game of sport and now fighting factions are actually targetting sport. Disgusting!

Angola has always had it's troubles mind. This will be music to the ears of those who reckon the World Cup should be held away from South Africa on the grounds of safety.

FIFA had to abandon their rotation plan once they realised South Africa was the only realistic contender to ever stage an African WC.

Trying to look for a positive - this will act as a warning for the remainder of this tournament and also for the WC. Of course SA is nothing like Angola, but even still you have to prepare for the worst.

It's amazing the way SkySports only concentrated if Adebayour was well, yeah who gives a fuck about the rest 8-)....

well realistically, who in SSNs audience does give a shit? only two players apart from adebayor play in england and they are people I've never heard of. one for villa one for plymouth

It's amazing the way SkySports only concentrated if Adebayour was well, yeah who gives a fuck about the rest 8-)....

well realistically,who in SSNs audience does give a shit? only two players apart from adebayor play in england and they are people I've never heard of. one for villa one for plymouth

At a wild stab in the dark I'm going to plumb for Villa and Plymouth fans.... ;)

well realistically, who in SSNs audience does give a shit? only two players apart from adebayor play in england and they are people I've never heard of. one for villa one for plymouth

Fun fact about Moustapha Salifou, the Togolese Villa player - since he joined Villa in 2007, he's made 4 appearances for Villa and won 40 caps for his country.

Edited by acrossthepond

its not so much the fact they're focusing on Adebayor over the other players thats shocking it's more the fact that it's taking precedence over the fact the driver has been killed.

I'm in Angola just now, working & it's well known to almost everyone here that you don't drive across the border from Congo to Cabinda, much safer to fly from the capital Luanda up to Cabinda. Rumour is the Togolese didn't inform the authorities they were travelling & just turned up at the border!! Obviously the boys with the guns knew!

Shame really, thats put the kibosh on our company letting us go to any games.

its not so much the fact they're focusing on Adebayor over the other players thats shocking it's more the fact that it's taking precedence over the fact the driver has been killed.

This. It's disgraceful that he was merely mentioned by SSN and in Adebayor's statement. ;)

Did Adebayor run the length of the bus to celebrate in front of the gunners again?

;):icon_lol:

I've had that texted twice.

The top and bottom of it is you can't trust these third world mugs, especially the most wank of the third world nations where they have a monkey holding a pineapple on their flag. No World Cup should be in Africa or Asia, if it was up to me every world cup would be in Northern Europe it's the only chance on minimalising the terrorist threat.

Did Adebayor run the length of the bus to celebrate in front of the gunners again?

The top and bottom of it is you can't trust these third world mugs, especially the most wank of the third world nations where they have a monkey holding a pineapple on their flag. No World Cup should be in Africa or Asia, if it was up to me every world cup would be in Northern Europe it's the only chance on minimalising the terrorist threat.

North Korea would be pretty safe I think.......................

I feel sorry for the Angolans - just as things starting to look up some thugs in Congo decide to hit the Togo team bus - but you have to ask where the hell where security?

North Korea would be pretty safe I think.......................

I feel sorry for the Angolans - just as things starting to look up some thugs in Congo decide to hit the Togo team bus - but you have to ask where the hell where security?

They weren't in Congo. Angola has an enclave which is surrounded by Congo, that's where the shooting took place. They want to break away this enclave, and Angola have said do one, as it has vast oil reserves.

You cant say that just because some football players have been shot in a third world country. Your judging the whole of Asia and Africa on one shooting by the sound of that. Look at Dubai, China & Korea, I am pretty sure Turkey is safe enough too. Every World Cup should be in Northern Europe? What about USA, Mexico and places alike?