Houghton Transfers

Barney

CHRIS Hughton wants to make four signings before the closure of the January transfer window.

The Newcastle United boss wants to replace the departing Geremi and either renew loans for the three players he signed on a temporary basis this season or bring in new signings to cover for them.

Hughton let Zurab Khizanishvili and Marlon Harewood return to Blackburn and Aston Villa respectively and is still negotiating with Manchester United over Danny Simpson – although he would like to extend his stay at St James’ Park.

With Geremi still keen to move to Turkish side Ankaragücü that creates four vacancies that Hughton wants to fill sooner rather than later.

“I would like to have the same numbers for the second half of the season,” he said. “But where we are at the moment, I am very very happy with the squad. I do not feel I need to add an awful lot.

“I think the strength of where we are at the moment is that we have been able to stay a tight knit group. So far we have been fortunate with injuries.

“A lot of players have played in a lot of games for us and I think that has been the strength of the team so far.”

With little money to play with United are likely to stick to their policy of bringing in players under the age of 26 with a significant re-sale value.

Although Mike Ashley said that recruitment philosophy would underpin the club’s transfer business when he originally took over, it is an approach that has been applied infrequently in the intervening years. But with the likes of Jermaine Beckford and Matthew Kilgallon being targeted, Hughton is determined to spend his limited budget on players with the potential to improve. “In an ideal scenario I think you’d always like to bring in somebody you can see potential in, whether that’s financial potential or in terms of being a good age.

“That’s always the best scenario, but for me the most important thing is that we have enough players to stay where we are for the rest of the season.

“What you have to do is have an eye on the future, on next season and so on, but the large majority of our thoughts are about this season.”

This is Hughton’s first transfer window since becoming a full-time manager and he admits it is a frantic period. His phone has rung virtually non-stop since the start of the month with some of the names being put to him coming as a “surprise”.

“There’s been a lot of phone calls and there have been a few surprise names,” he admitted. “A lot of players become available who you didn’t think would. It is also a time for agents to do their business.

“They wouldn’t think they were doing their job right if they were not throwing lots of names at you.

“To a degree I had this before, when I was the temporary manager. At the moment we have got players coming from all angles to us.

“This is a time for agents as well, this is their avenue to get information over and of course a lot of info they are giving to me they are giving to 30 or 40 (other) people as well.”

Meanwhile, Hughton will call his players in for an extra training session tomorrow after the Championship game at Reading was postponed.

Although the pitch at the Madejski Stadium was playable, the authorities decided the surrounding area was too dangerous for the game to go ahead.

CHRIS Hughton wants to make four signings before the closure of the January transfer window.

. “But where we are at the moment, I am very very happy with the squad. I do not feel I need to add an awful lot.

;)

I'm willing to bet we wind up with nobody worth getting excited about and it'll be a wasted window.

Upside is there'll be less deadwood for next season.

no shit sherlock

Let's see what tomorrow brings, a little bird tells me we're about to learn a few stark truths on Mr A and the finances.

howays pud - you have to expand on that

I would if I knew mate, all I know is that tomorrows papers have stories in however one of them might have been crossed wires with the story you just posted

ohhhh is it anything to do with what he has on twitter re 50mill?

Nah, the £50m relates to the Trust having already raised as per Ja's post in the Yes We can thread.

Stuff will be coming out over the next few days though about Ashley. My source is a good un and I believe its going to be big stuff.

Nah, the £50m relates to the Trust having already raised as per Ja's post in the Yes We can thread.

Stuff will be coming out over the next few days though about Ashley. My source is a good un and I believe its going to be big stuff.

<drumroll>

Does it involves monkeys launching a bid?

<drumroll>

Does it involves monkeys launching a bid?

I've not checked the main papers as of yet, think the mail's running a story about the fans getting £50m together so far though.

From today's Mirror:

Mike Ashley is set to put Newcastle up for sale again in the summer if they secure promotion back to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

The controversial Sports Direct tycoon failed to find a buyer for the North East club last season despite drastically reducing the asking price to secure its sale.

He eventually took the Magpies off the market last October and promised to finance a successful Championship campaign to ensure the fallen giants were restored to the top tier of English football.

But his decision was merely a temporary measure to ensure he limited his losses as Newcastle’s market value plummeted following relegation.

Ashley is well aware he is loathed and despised by the vast majority of die-hard fans that follow the club who have staged numerous protests to force him to quit.

Ashley is the first person to admit he made mistakes during his unwanted tenure of the club.

He forced Kevin Keegan to quit after appointing Dennis Wise to oversee player recruitment, appointed Joe Kinnear, snubbed Alan Shearer after he failed to keep the club up and proposed to sell the naming rights to St James’s Park.

A source close to Ashley said last night: “It is his intention to evaluate the situation in the summer.

“If the club can secure promotion he will almost certainly put it back up for sale immediately.

“He found it impossible to find a buyer at the first time of asking when Newcastle were battling for Premier League survival.

“In an ideal world he doesn’t want to stay somewhere where he’s not wanted. But he is a businessman and wasn’t prepared to give the club away to satisfy the widespread demands of the club’s followers.

“If the club can secure promotion it will undoubtedly make them a far more viable acquisition.”

Fat, lying, odius cunt.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

So, once again, next summer's transfer window- potentially the most crucial at the club in a while, will see us buying no-one as we go through the same tired old shit. " the club is for sale at the right price. "

If he seriously wants rid, why not start the process now? Have a new owner in place by the end of the season so that another transfer window isn't wasted.

My God, I really do despise the Fat Bastard.

He doesn't care about the club though. All his thinking is short term and Hughton the numpty is buying into it.

Ashley wants to run away from his idiotic decisions but wants to minimize the hole those idiotic decisions burnt into his pockets. That's why he only covers the running costs without considering any investment for the long term benefit of the club.

I'm willing to bet we wind up with nobody worth getting excited about and it'll be a wasted window.

Upside is there'll be less deadwood for next season.

no shit sherlock

;) Aye, some bold claims being made there like.