FOR GODS SAKE............

AgentAxeman

A millionaire caught speeding in Switzerland has been hit with a record-breaking £182,000 fine.

Judges at the cantonal court in St Gallen arrived at the sum by basing it on his estimated personal wealth of over £16 million.

The court said the repeat offender drove up to 35 mph faster than the 50 mph limit.

The unidentified driver can still appeal the decision to the Swiss supreme court.

The fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record.

;) Damn! And i thought our courts were tough...............

They tried income related fines here a few years ago but the middle classes whinged so much it was quietly dropped.

It's an interesting debate of setting real deterrents versus treating everyone equal. My view is that as long as the law is unbiased in terms of prosecution then theres room for punishments of scale once guilt is established.

Its right to do though, whats the use in fining a millionaire £200? its no deterrent, it wouldnt even register.

+1

+2

+3 (this could go on for some time...)

Its right to do though, whats the use in fining a millionaire £200? its no deterrent, it wouldnt even register.

+1

+2

+4 (i couldnt stand being left out!) ;)

+1

+2

+5

It's the middle of the scale that matters though - if someone on the dole or minimum wage is fined £100 and a millionaire £20k say then how much do you fine someone on 100k?

Would £1000 (10x £100) be a deterrent? - probably but at the same time they may "laugh it off" whereas the minimum wage person may strruggle.

If you then take "make them wince" as your benchmark, would a fine of say £3k for the £100k person be fair or is that too much?

When you read stuff like that it's easy to understand why motorsport is illegal in Switzerland.

Why is that?

Absolutely no idea but it is....

Seems crazy that a country that has it's own F1 team and has had 24 drivers in the sport's 60 year history makes the sport illegal.

You can negotiate your own tax rate in Switzerland. If you have moneny you can approach the regional authorities (each one having autonomy over tax) and propose that you will move into the area on the basis of a certain tax rate. Since the regional tax offices view individuals as having a choice to live there, they will reduce tax rates for the mega-rich since if they come, their tax revenues can jump enormously.

You can negotiate your own tax rate in Switzerland. If you have moneny you can approach the regional authorities (each one having autonomy over tax) and propose that you will move into the area on the basis of a certain tax rate. Since the regional tax offices view individuals as having a choice to live there, they will reduce tax rates for the mega-rich since if they come, their tax revenues can jump enormously.

here it's called "discussions with HMRC on investing in the UK"

+1

+2

+5

+6

I always think it's stupid the amount footballers get fined when they do something like this in the UK.

+1

+2

+5

+6

I always think it's stupid the amount footballers get fined when they do something like this in the UK.

Aye +7

When you read stuff like that it's easy to understand why motorsport is illegal in Switzerland.

Why is that?

Absolutely no idea but it is....

Seems crazy that a country that has it's own F1 team and has had 24 drivers in the sport's 60 year history makes the sport illegal.

It was banned in 1955 after a crash at Le Mans where a car went into the crowd, disintegrated, and killed 80-odd spectators. Three or four other european countries banned motor sport temporarily until safety standards were raised. I think the Swiss did eventually lift their ban a couple of years ago.