Raval

Tooj

Try the one and only living dahl. Superb.

:D

What I remember of the place from when I lived round there was just how empty it always was, never more than one or two tables in.

Probably due to the rather hefty prices.

What I remember of the place from when I lived round there was just how empty it always was, never more than one or two tables in.

Its hardly pricey at 17 quid for the most expensive dish. Looks reasonable to me.

If you think a pizza costs nearly 10 quid in most places and thats just bread, less than a pounds worth of ingredients and 2 minutes of chef time, a finely crafted seafood dish for twice the price has got to be fair.

Its hardly pricey at 17 quid for the most expensive dish. Looks reasonable to me.

If you think a pizza costs nearly 10 quid in most places and thats just bread, less than a pounds worth of ingredients and 2 minutes of chef time, a finely crafted seafood dish for twice the price has got to be fair.

That's only a couple of quid more than a Bargain Bucket!

A quality and nutritous family meal. :icon_lol:

Typical Geordie attitude to eating out is cheap = good though.

I dont think its just restricted to the north-east but its a shame anyway.

You could still have a starter and main off that menu for 15 quid, which is great value imo. The problem is the price of the drink. I bet thats pricey there.

Edited by ChezGiven

You could still have a starter and main off that menu for 15 quid, which is great value imo. The problem is the price of the drink. I bet thats pricey there.

I think everyone likes a bargain but I've been in places in the NE that are packed (even though they're shit) just because they're cheap. One example quite recently was the Wheatsheaf near the airport. It used to be a nice place as well but it was all 'Two meals for £8.95' and it was full to the rafters. The food was fucking terrible though. I'm not a snob but it was like something off you'd expect from Iceland and you'd be embarrassed serving it up in your own home. All frozen stuff. Canny depressing to see it doing so well. A place like that in a similar location honestly wouldn't survive in Norn Iron imo.

Raval looks nice btw. I'll await 2J's report :D

Edited by alex

I think everyone likes a bargain but I've been in places in the NE that are packed (even though they're shit) just because they're cheap. One example quite recently was the Wheatsheaf near the airport. It used to be a nice place as well but it was all 'Two meals for £8.95' and it was full to the rafters. The food was fucking terrible though. I'm not a snob but it was like something off you'd expect from Iceland and you'd be embarrassed serving it up in your own home. All frozen stuff. Canny depressing to see it doing so well. A place like that in a similar location honestly wouldn't survive in Norn Iron imo.

Raval looks nice btw. I'll await 2J's report :D

Interesting.

Aye, if Tooj gives it the thumbs up, i'll be looking to go next time am home. Of course, if its then shit i'll hold him personally responsible.

I think the prices must have been dropped since I took a look when it first opened because Im fairly sure you'd have hardly managed a starter alone for £15 at the time.

That and its location didnt exactly make it a "call in" place for most people.

As for the Weatsheaf, its dismal, we went in there a month or two back just to grab a quick bite to eat and like you say, cheap but decidedly average grub.

If you're looking for a good indian restaurant then Sachins Punjabi on Forth Banks is imho the best quality.

If anyones being watching the F word they will have seen the south american guy in the semi final doing stakes to die for on the grill. Is there anywhere local that does similar stuff well.

Me and the wife are also getting sick of paying pretty decent prices for shite and would like to pay that little bit more and find some class local acts.

If anyones being watching the F word they will have seen the south american guy in the semi final doing stakes to die for on the grill. Is there anywhere local that does similar stuff well.

Me and the wife are also getting sick of paying pretty decent prices for shite and would like to pay that little bit more and find some class local acts.

The Black Door ( at the Biscuit Factory, Sandeford).

The Grainger Rooms next to the Laing.

The Grainger Rooms' menus feature rare-breed Northumbrian meat directly from local farms, North Sea fish from sustainable groups, hand-picked wild mushrooms and wild foods in season.

http://www.graingerrooms.co.uk/

Thanks for those two suggestions but there a touch arty / fancy for what im after. Im sure they do nice food but im after straight forward food cooked exellently.

For example, have a butchers at this restaurant (one of my favourites but its in cardiff ;)

http://www.le-monde.co.uk/

Dover sole, great steaks etc etc all chosen individually by the customer from a display counter and then cooked for you in an open kitchen.

Is there anything of this quality / style in the North East

Thanks for those two suggestions but there a touch arty / fancy for what im after. Im sure they do nice food but im after straight forward food cooked exellently.

For example, have a butchers at this restaurant (one of my favourites but its in cardiff ;)

http://www.le-monde.co.uk/

Dover sole, great steaks etc etc all chosen individually by the customer from a display counter and then cooked for you in an open kitchen.

Is there anything of this quality / style in the North East

I know it's not quite the same thing, it doesn't have the display counter shenanigans, it's a chain etc. etc., but the Loch Fyne on Gosforth High Street is canny enough if you like your fish. Just one that springs to mind, anyway.

Wait, you said steaks and stuff as well. Must read posts before replying.

Confused about meat? Not like you.

Well I've been to a few meat markets in my time, but selecting the day's produce from a glass counter is a step too far. ;)

Went to Grainger rooms last Christmas, it was bastard freezing!

Try the Ivy House next to West Jesmond metro

Ivy House closed quite a while ago, unless it's reopened since.