The great cold snap of 2009/2010

Guest Insider

I remember once opening the back door to about 5 ft of snow. That was fun!!! Twas maybe 1979 or 1980?? and we couldnt get out of the valley for 9days. Good job we had plenty of coal in the bunker!!

tbh, i'm quite enjoying all this snow. course that might be something to do with me not having a job atm so i dont have to fight my way through it! :D

Whrere were you living Narnia?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant ever remember a prolonged period of snow like this in my lifetime, and I am in my late 20s. Strange how it only really becomes a major disaster when the south of the country is going to be really affected by it.

QFT

I cant ever remember a prolonged period of snow like this in my lifetime, and I am in my late 20s. Strange how it only really becomes a major disaster when the south of the country is going to be really affected by it.

QFT

Indeed. Although that is indicative more of how they're unable to cope by comparison rather than a greater level of importance.

I spent the night in the car - got home at about 11am - completely fucked off with it all now although that vitriol is aimed more at the authorities than the weather itself.

QFT

Indeed. Although that is indicative more of how they're unable to cope by comparison rather than a greater level of importance.

I spent the night in the car - got home at about 11am - completely fucked off with it all now although that vitriol is aimed more at the authorities than the weather itself.

The authorities want fucking hanging at the shocking planning

Guest Insider

Aye, had Sky News on for a bit last night and it's headline was "Snow is sweeping across southern England". Well, Sky, I'm in the North-East and it's snowing like fuck. Pricks.

QFT

The authorities want fucking hanging at the shocking planning

Don't think it's their fault in all honesty. People expect too much. The SE is a fucking nightmare for traffic without the really bad weather they've had.

QFT

:D

People love a moan don't they. As if if a troop of 3000 gritters and ploughs should be maintained constantly at the taxpayers expense for an occurence we've all agreed has come for the first time in our lifetimes.

The only shocking planning is from any individual making a non-critical journey knowing full well what the conditions are.

People love a moan don't they. As if if a troop of 3000 gritters and ploughs should be maintained constantly at the taxpayers expense for an occurence we've all agreed has come for the first time in our lifetimes.

The only shocking planning is from any individual making a non-critical journey knowing full well what the conditions are.

:D Exactly. Especially the bit in bold though. Great British tradition.

No. Noelie and Rob W will remember the winter of 1947. Rob will no doubt remember a worse one about 1880, though :D

I blame gobal warming. :D

I blame gobal warming. :icon_lol:

Its what did for the Kingdom of Nubia thousands of years ago. :D

This winter is so far not as cold as 1979, so thats in the lifetime of more than just a couple of posters on here.

This winter is so far not as cold as 1979, so thats in the lifetime of more than just a couple of posters on here.

Going to get onto that as soon as I get back to England.

It's the coldest spell since '81 though so the same principle about wasting money on preparing for stuff that happens once in a blue moon (New Year's Eve was a blue moon btw) applies.

Re: Gritters. You dont need them on call 356 days a year funnily enough, just say you know when the chance of snow rises above 20% or something. Whats that? 3 weeks of public sector pay to save millions of man hours of wasted economic activity? If the chance exists, grit the roads anyway. A quick back-of-fag-packet calculation suggests they could grit the roads 5 times per winter for a hundred years without it ever snowing before the costs are bigger than the benefits.

In this day and age and with the reliance on transport at the heart of the economy, its unforgivable to allow the roads to become the way they are. Its just shit, lazy public sector management, as usual.

It's the coldest spell since '81 though so the same principle about wasting money on preparing for stuff that happens once in a blue moon (New Year's Eve was a blue moon btw) applies.

I remember all the hoo ha about the Thames Barrier in the 90's...Like London was going to flood anyday.. :rolleyes:

I blame gobal warming. :rolleyes:

The plough army could be used once every thirty years then? I can't imagine it's implementation will be a political hot potato in the coming election. :icon_lol:

Re: Gritters. You dont need them on call 356 days a year funnily enough, just say you know when the chance of snow rises above 20% or something. Whats that? 3 weeks of public sector pay to save millions of man hours of wasted economic activity? If the chance exists, grit the roads anyway. A quick back-of-fag-packet calculation suggests they could grit the roads 5 times per winter for a hundred years without it ever snowing before the costs are bigger than the benefits.

In this day and age and with the reliance on transport at the heart of the economy, its unforgivable to allow the roads to become the way they are. Its just shit, lazy public sector management, as usual.

The roads get the way they are as an act of god. Not public sector management. There's gritters out doing what roads they can and 29 times out of 30 it's enough to avoid too much trouble.

Anyone that doesn't like it.....

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&amp...sa=N&tab=wf

The roads get the way they are as an act of god. Not public sector management. There's gritters out doing what roads they can and 29 times out of 30 it's enough to avoid too much trouble.

The Gritters come out after the snow 99 times out of a hundred because it is too expensive and since Road Gritting services are contracted out (on retainers, meaning they get paid for being 'available to grit'), the contract company decides (on the basis of cost/profit) whether to come out. Cant be arsed to look hard but....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3282205.stm

The Gritters come out after the snow 99 times out of a hundred because it is too expensive and since Road Gritting services are contracted out (on retainers, meaning they get paid for being 'available to grit'), the contract company decides (on the basis of cost/profit) whether to come out. Cant be arsed to look hard but....

And I always thought you were a free market advocate :D

And I always thought you were a free market advocate :D

Then you've never understood me :icon_lol:

I blame gobal warming. :rolleyes:

I saw that last night. Don't recall any mention of gritters ( or the lack of) being what did for them. :icon_lol:

Thought the rock gongs were quite funky.