The great cold snap of 2009/2010

Guest Insider

Guest Insider

I'm 23 and this is the longest period of snow and ice that i can remember in my lifetime. Certainly the worst conditions I've ever had to drive in. They reckon in the paper that it could be like this for the next 6 weeks :D Wish it'd fuck off now to be perfectly honest.

Edited by Insider

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember it being like this in the early 80's and us being sent home from school. I can also remember it being worse than this I think in 1977 when we had 2ft of snow in our back garden.

Aye, I remember crossing the field to get to middle school in '77 and walking thru paths in the snow. The snow was almost waist deep.

I was , at 9 yrs old, of Wackyesque stature.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

I remember once opening the back door to about 5 ft of snow. That was fun!!! Twas maybe 1979 or 1980?? and we couldnt get out of the valley for 9days. Good job we had plenty of coal in the bunker!!

tbh, i'm quite enjoying all this snow. course that might be something to do with me not having a job atm so i dont have to fight my way through it! :D

I think people travel greater distances to work/school now - when I was a kid most people worked quite locally and could walk to school (of course the school run doesn't help the latter).

I think a couple of years above are right - 77 and 79 ring a bell as bad ones.

Guest Stevie

I think early 87 was the worst I remember. I think two of our home cup ties, you were invited down to clear the pitch and if you did you got a free ticket, think it was against Northampton or PNE.

I don't mind the snow, it's nice and cheerful :D

I think there's too much noncing around about the snow these days, we used to just get on with it and I'm sure it was deeper. I get the impression that people are less prepared for harder conditions, like everything else the government has turned the public in to a bunch of fannies. Agreed people do tend to work further away from home but then there was less morning traffic to snarl things up because more women stayed at home looking after the kids and the kids walked to school instead of parents driving their little darlings 300yds down the road.

I think there's too much noncing around about the snow these days, we used to just get on with it and I'm sure it was deeper. I get the impression that people are less prepared for harder conditions, like everything else the government has turned the public in to a bunch of fannies. Agreed people do tend to work further away from home but then there was less morning traffic to snarl things up because more women stayed at home looking after the kids and the kids walked to school instead of parents driving their little darlings 300yds down the road.

:D

Someone (Nicky Campbell maybe) was trying to be funny on the radio the other day by asking some meteorologist how they decided to say it was an 'Arctic chill' or a 'Siberian freeze' or whatever. The bloke said it depended on wether the cold air came from the Arctic or from Siberia.

I remember hiding behind the wall at the bus stop with about 50 snowballs pre-rolled waiting for the bus to drop people off and pelting the driver incessantly until he had to close the doors and fuck off. We used to do it all the time so there must have been loads of snow.

I'm sure when I was a lad the snow had sharp edges, and used to cut our faces as it fell.

We didn't mind though. We were grateful to have faces in those sepia tinted days.

You were lucky to have a face, we just had another pair of bollocks where the face would be. And instead of snow it was red hot lava.

I'm sure when I was a lad the snow had sharp edges, and used to cut our faces as it fell.

We didn't mind though. We were grateful to have faces in those sepia tinted days.

You were lucky to have a face, we just had another pair of bollocks where the face would be. And instead of snow it was red hot lava.

Still got the problem?

Still got the problem?

:D You walked straight into that like LL.

I'm sure Viz did a character with nuts for a face. Can't be arsed to google it tho.

Someone (Nicky Campbell maybe) was trying to be funny on the radio the other day by asking some meteorologist how they decided to say it was an 'Arctic chill' or a 'Siberian freeze' or whatever. The bloke said it depended on wether the cold air came from the Arctic or from Siberia.

iirc (it's been quite a while since I did my met), the five air flows that affect UK are:

Arctic (straight down from north pole)

Polar Maritime (basically NW'ly wind)

Polar Continental (basically ENE'ly winds)

Tropical Maritime (WSW'ly winds)

Tropical Continental (largely SE'ly winds)

Looking at the weather last night, we have what's called a 'Blocking High' over UK at the moment, which the wind rotates clockwise around (apart from a slight deflection called the Angle of Indraft iirc). This 'blocking High' is bringing in Polar Continental wind from Russia/Siberia way.

I think I'm right in all that. As I say, it's been a fairly long time since I studied it.

Yours,

Snakehips Kettley