Newcastle United

Craig

On a slightly serious note, one of the things I really can't forgive the Halls for was the completely underwhelming "celebration" of the club's centenary - it shows that when it comes to an appreciation of the club's history and tradition they were no different to Ashley.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, the club merely became known as Newcastle United 117 years ago. Contrary to popular opinion, East End and West End did not merge. West End went bust, and their directors proposed that East End takeover their lease at St James' Park. East End agreed, and some West End directors, players and officials joined East End, who then changed their name to something more representative of the whole city (and of course, because they no longer played in the East End). The club was formed as Stanley AFC (SAFC!!!! :icon_lol: ) on November 14 1881, becoming Newcastle East End AFC before the start of the 1892/93 season to avoid confusion with clubs from Stanley in County Durham. So NUFC was 128 last month.

My understanding was that it was more than just a name change - even if West End went bust they did contribute the ground so I still see it as a merger forming a new club moving forward.