The F1 2010 thread

Craig

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to worm out of a fiver bet? :) :)

Provide a link with the FIA announcing there's been a mid-season rule change about an introduction of an 'enforced stop'. Or

shut

the

fuck

up

:woosh:

Edited by alex

this having to use two types of tyre thingy looks enforced to me - eh?

A rule that's been in place for a couple of years. You stated that, following the opening race of 2010, the FIA would have to implement a rule to enforce an additional pit stop.

Alex and myself said 'absolute bollocks' and you were prepared to wager a couple of fivers to charity over it.

Are you serious renaging on that bet?

Provide a link with the FIA announcing there's been a mid-season rule change about an introduction of an 'enforced stop'. Or

shut

the

fuck

up

I hope I'm not getting to you young Alex (he said anxiously) - you know I'm a man of honour and pay my bets (even if I have to spend the next three months Googling every FIA rule to avoid paying up.....)

A rule that's been in place for a couple of years. You stated that, following the opening race of 2010, the FIA would have to implement a rule to enforce an additional pit stop.

Alex and myself said 'absolute bollocks' and you were prepared to wager a couple of fivers to charity over it.

In a different, better world I'd come round and do you for suggesting such a thing. Steal my pourse etc etc but steal my good name???

shut

the

fuck

up

I hope I'm not getting to you young Alex (he said anxiously) - you know I'm a man of honour and pay my bets (even if I have to spend the next three months Googling every FIA rule to avoid paying up.....)

I know you're full of it.

In a different, better world I'd come round and do you for suggesting such a thing. Steal my pourse etc etc but steal my good name???

I expect to see the Sir Bobby Robson foundation better off to the tune of £5 come November then - thanks for the confirmation :)

The cheques are made out - all I have to do is sign them.....................

By the way how did Her Hitler get away with driving people off the track again last week??

The cheques are made out - all I have to do is sign them.....................

By the way how did Her Hitler get away with driving people off the track again last week??

First sensible post you've made in this thread.

F1 urged to learn from Canada show

By Jonathan Noble Monday, June 21st 2010, 10:05 GMT

Formula 1 chiefs have been urged to learn the lessons of why the Canadian Grand Prix was turned into such a spectacle.

After tyre dramas in Montreal helped deliver one of the most exciting races of recent seasons - with 60 overtaking moves during the event – leading figures within the sport believe F1 should take into consideration exactly what the factors were that made it so good when it comes to framing new regulations.

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner reckons that Canada showed perhaps too much focus had been spent worrying about aerodynamics having the biggest effect on the racing.

"There was this myth of aerodynamics being the root of all evil – but in Canada you could quite clear see tyres have a much bigger influence on car being able to race each other," he told AUTOSPORT.

"In fact, you could say now it has a bigger influence than perhaps aero does."

Lotus technical chief Mike Gascoyne thinks one of the key lessons to come out of Canada was that it important tyre regulations are framed in such a way to make one of the available compounds very difficult to work with.

"If you were going to write the tyre rules for how you wanted races to be, they would be like Canada," Gascoyne told AUTOSPORT. "You had changing strategies, overtaking and lots of excitement.

"It was exactly what F1 needs, and it's proved that the argument for one tyre being very marginable is very strong."

He added: "Just look at the different way people used the tyres. Some used the super soft at the start and we ran it for 18 laps at the end – which was fine. [Vitaly] Petrov stopped five laps later than us, he came tearing up to us and we thought we were in trouble – but by the time he was up to us his tyres had dropped off and we were able to defend. That was good racing."

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh thinks Canada – allied to a number of similarly exciting races this season – has proved that there is not that much wrong with the current F1 regulations despite the poor season-opener in Bahrain.

"Lots of people want to write negative things, but we've now had seven fantastic races," said Whitmarsh, referring to Bahrain being the only boring event so far this year.

"In Turkey, after 40 laps, you had four cars split by three seconds – and there was a lot of pressure there. Then we had Canada.

"In F1 you are not supposed to follow closely and you cannot overtake – but Canada was a great race. We've been very fortunate and have had some classic motor racing this year."

Did you hear about Jenson threatening to take Mercedes to court Dr Ken?

No, go on...

Button sued Brawn to receive 2009 F1 car prize

Jenson Button had to file legal action before his former team handed over his prize for winning the 2009 world championship.

When the 30-year-old agreed to lower his salary amid the Honda/Brawn management takeover, a clause was added to his contract.

It read: "In the event that the driver wins the championship at any time during the term, the company shall transfer ... ownership of one chassis of the type driven by the driver during that winning season."

The clause has come to light because Button's company JB Next BV filed legal action in London's High Court in April against the Brackley based team.

According to a report in the Mail on Sunday newspaper, the team - now owned by Mercedes - refused to hand over a 2009 Brawn car to Button.

It is believed that six BGP001 cars were made, but an email to Button from Mercedes in January reads: "We have no spare 2009 chassis as limited quantities were manufactured for the 2009 season for cost reasons."

Mercedes reportedly offered to build a replica of the BGP001 car, but Button said it would lack the "special and unique" value of owning one of the very cars he drove to the title.

The newspaper said the team has ultimately decided to supply a 2009 Brawn car to the now McLaren driver.

"We have arrived at an amicable resolution, and so there will no longer be any court action over this," Button's spokesman confirmed.

Source: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=374093

greed

You're joking aren't you?

He took a massive pay cut to help keep the team afloat, then helped deliver the World Championship for them. No matter how unlikely it may have sounded at the time, if they'd written into his contract the gift of a car in return for his pay cut, they have to honour it. I'm not feeling sorry for a millionaire playboy here, but a deal is a deal. A bit like you paying up for your 'enforced pit-stops' bet.

FIA announces movable wing changes

Drivers' use of movable wings will be reformed for 2011, after today's FIA World Motor Sport Council agreed a new regulation to improve overtaking next season.

Formula 1 is set to introduce an adjustable rear wing next season, in place of the current adjustable front wing and F-duct, and any device in 2011 will only be able to be activated to assist overtaking.

The bodywork will not be allowed to be moved during the first two laps of a race, and thereafter only when a driver is less than one second behind the car in front.

A statement from the World Motor Sport Council said: "From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps.

"The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled the first time the driver uses the brakes after the system has been activated.

"The FIA may, after consulting all the competitors, adjust the time proximity in order to ensure the purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met."

The FIA also announced that F-ducts will be banned for 2011.

"With the exception of the parts necessary for the driver adjustable bodywork, any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited from 2011," the statement said.

The safety car rules have also been tweaked with immediate effect to confirm that drivers cannot overtake if the safety car enters the pit lane at the end of the final lap of a race, in reaction to Michael Schumacher's move on Fernando Alonso at Monaco.

Pirelli to become F1's new tyre supplier

The FIA has announced that Pirelli has been picked as Formula 1's sole tyre supplier for three years from the start of the 2011 season.

Pirelli had emerged as a strong favourite for the deal in the wake of Bridgestone's decision to pull out after this year's campaign.

"Pirelli has been selected as the single tyre supplier for the FIA Formula One World Championship for a period of three years, commencing in 2011," said an FIA statement.

"The sole supplier will undertake to strictly respect the sporting and technical regulations implemented by the FIA."

Fellow former F1 supplier Michelin ended up as Pirelli's closest rival for the deal, with Cooper Avon having been the other main contender.

Pirelli has 44 F1 wins to its credit from several previous periods in the sport, starting in the 1950s. It was last on the grid in 1991.

107 per cent rule returns for 2011

The 107 per cent rule will return to Formula 1 qualifying sessions in 2011, the FIA World Motor Sport Council announced on Wednesday.

The regulation was first introduced in 1996 to ensure that no cars would be able to start a race if they were deemed too much slower than the leaders. It was scrapped at the end of the 2002 season, with the introduction of single-lap qualifying for '03.

But now that qualfying has resumed to free-running sessions and there are three new teams on the grid - with another likely for 2011 - the FIA has brought back the ruling.

A statement released by the World Motor Sport Council said: "From 2011, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107 per cent of the fastest Q1 qualifying time will not be allowed to take part in the race.

"Under exceptional circumstances, however, which may include setting a suitable laptime in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race. Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be determined by the stewards."

The World Council also moved to eradicate slow-moving cars during qualifying sessions ruining the laps of their rivals. From 2011, a maximum time will be introduced, within which all cars will have to circulate under - even on in and out-laps.

"With immediate effect, any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically, or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers, will be reported to the stewards," the statement said. "This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.

"In order to ensure cars are not driven unnecessarily slowly on in-laps during qualifying or reconnaissance laps when the pit exit is opened for the race, drivers must stay below the maximum time set by the FIA between the safety car line after the pit exit and safety car line before the pit entry.

"The maximum time will be determined by the race director at each event prior to the first day of practice, but may be amended during the event if necessary."

I'll believe THAT when they apply it to Ferrari

Believe what? :icon_lol:

Stop being fucking vague man!!

107% rule

:lol: Fantastic. So an as yet non-existent response to a wildly improbable circumstance that's never previously been anywhere near an issue in F1 now constitutes unequivocal evidence of F1's inherent corruption. You, sir, are a bellend. :icon_lol:

I guess if they bring back 107% there'll be no pit-lane starts for cars who couldn't put a lap down in quali due to mechanical issues, or earlier crash (eg Alsono earlier on this year). Otherwise the slow cars simply wouldn't put in a lap time.

I don't see the need to introduce it, the FIA brought in these new teams and now they want to kill them off.

I'll believe THAT when they apply it to Ferrari

Believe what? :icon_lol:

Stop being fucking vague man!!

107% rule

You honestly believe that Ferrari will qualify outside of 107% of the pole sitter's time? :icon_lol:

Is this finally an admission that you don't have a clue what you're talking about or are you actually that stupid? :lol:

FWIW I can't see the point in bringing the rule back - all cars (including the new teams) easily qualify within it. The rule was only introduced after the '97 Australian GP when the Lolas were 11 seconds off the pace.