Trendy or Trad?

Monkeys Fist

I'm cooking goose today (for me Mrs P and P Jnr) with all the trimmings. nb use goose fat to moisten the roast potatoes with for th final 20 min.

Mrs P's parents for another Xmas dinner tomorrow.

Coating your roasties in Semolina gives them a lovely slightly sweet crunchy-ness to them.

Bollocks, that reminds me - I forgot to buy semolina last night. Supermarkets are chaos today according to the rock radio. Reports of people being stuck in carparks cos they are so busy. Same for retail parks too, so you're fucked if you haven't finished your shopping yet.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some wierdo mention putting semolina on his roast potatoes or did I imagine it? :(

No, Paws is the guilty party I think.

Obviously picked it up subconciously whilst drooling over Nigella's festive rack( for she is responsible for the semolina spuds).

I swear by goose fat for top notch roasties.

I'm having the in-laws over again this year. Not going Trad as neither myself or Mrs Paws are fans of Turkey Dinners.

I'm cooking (as usual) and this year the menu is:

Starter - Creamy Carrot & Coriander Soup with a sprig of Parsley as Mrs Paws can't eat her favorite types of fish at the minute.

Main - Roast Fillet of Beef wrapped in Proscutio Ham and Porcini Mushrooms in red wine accompanied with the more Trad: Pig in Blankets, roasties (using Semolina), carrots, sude mash, peas, roast parsnips and stuffing (Sage & Lemon Thyme & another one I cant remember).

Sweet: Bread & Butter Pudding (my all time fave) but made with Italian Pannatone and Rum soaked rasins <_<

Eat your heart out Hugh Fernley-Nostrilstal and Jamie 'Bad Boy' Oliver (although the main course comes from one of his books :yahoo: ).

Xmas day breakfast is a slightly tweaked menu this year for Mrs Paws. We'll have to forego the trad smoked slamon and scrambled eggs with Champagne and she'll be having Cooked smoked salmon with eggs and a champagne spritzer (cant believe I'm going to add lemonade to the Champage I've bought - still, needs must). As I hate fish, I'm having Sausages from my local butcher with black pudding in them, scrambled eggs and undiluted champagne :lol:

Poncy-tastic :(

Not decided what I'll be cooking on New Years yet.

I made a Bread and Butter pudding made with Pannatone raisin bread the other day, delicious! I add alittle cream AND evaporated milk too.....piggy-tastic!

Christmas day I will be cooking beef with red wine and redcurrant jelly gravy with roast honey and mustard parsnips, mashed swede and carrots, savoy cabbage, pigs in blankets and yorkshires oh and of course roast potatoes.....yum!! We have xmas pudding, bot normally have a light dessert like mandarins in vodka/orange jelly with meringue and clotted cream!

Edited by Toonraider

I'm having the in-laws over again this year. Not going Trad as neither myself or Mrs Paws are fans of Turkey Dinners.

Starter - Creamy Carrot & Coriander Soup with a sprig of Parsley as Mrs Paws can't eat her favorite types of fish at the minute.

Main - Roast Fillet of Beef wrapped in Proscutio Ham and Porcini Mushrooms in red wine accompanied with the more Trad: Pig in Blankets, roasties (using Semolina), carrots, sude mash, peas, roast parsnips and stuffing (Sage & Lemon Thyme & another one I cant remember).

Sweet: Bread & Butter Pudding (my all time fave) but made with Italian Pannatone and Rum soaked rasins <_<

Eat your heart out Hugh Fernley-Nostrilstal and Jamie 'Bad Boy' Oliver (although the main course comes from one of his books :yahoo: ).

Xmas day breakfast is a slightly tweaked menu this year for Mrs Paws. We'll have to forego the trad smoked slamon and scrambled eggs with Champagne and she'll be having Cooked smoked salmon with eggs and a champagne spritzer (cant believe I'm going to add lemonade to the Champage I've bought - still, needs must). As I hate fish, I'm having Sausages from my local butcher with black pudding in them, scrambled eggs and undiluted champagne :lol:

Poncy-tastic :(

I made a Bread and Butter pudding made with Pannatone raisin bread the other day, delicious! I add alittle cream AND evaporated milk too.....piggy-tastic!

Christmas day I will be cooking beef with red wine and redcurrant jelly gravy with roast honey and mustard parsnips, mashed swede and carrots, savoy cabbage, pigs in blankets and yorkshires oh and of course roast potatoes.....yum!! We have xmas pudding, bot normally have a light dessert like mandarins in vodka/orange jelly with meringue and clotted cream!

I'm leaving Toon now- set me a place.

I'll bring half a pound of Tesco Basics Cheddar for after.

Did some wierdo mention putting semolina on his roast potatoes or did I imagine it? :(

Obviously picked it up subconciously whilst drooling over Nigella's festive rack( for she is responsible for the semolina spuds).

Or beef drippings too. Not beef curtain drippings obviously. <_<

Sounds like some lush dinners going on.

We're have beef apparently, only going to be 4 of us this year so a turkey is too much.

Am very jealous of Mr Paws, sounds amazing.

He's telling porkies.

He's really doing Turkey Twizzlers with Aunt Bessies frozen spuds and Batchelors Mushy Peas.

Arctic Roll for pud.

All washed down with Blue Nun.

:(<_<

We're have beef apparently, only going to be 4 of us this year so a turkey is too much.

He's telling porkies.

He's really doing Turkey Twizzlers with Aunt Bessies frozen spuds and Batchelors Mushy Peas.

Arctic Roll for pud.

:(<_<

As long as the Blue Nun was properly chilled....

Did some wierdo mention putting semolina on his roast potatoes or did I imagine it? :icon_lol:

Guilty as charged for all of the above m'lud (especially the drooling bit <_< ) Goose fat is essential for roasties.

Did some wierdo mention putting semolina on his roast potatoes or did I imagine it? :icon_lol:

Guilty as charged for all of the above m'lud (especially the drooling bit <_< ) Goose fat is essential for roasties.

:icon_lol:

breast or thigh man?

Eat your heart out Hugh Fernley-Nostrilstal and Jamie 'Bad Boy' Oliver (although the main course comes from one of his books :blush: ).

Xmas day breakfast is a slightly tweaked menu this year for Mrs Paws. We'll have to forego the trad smoked slamon and scrambled eggs with Champagne and she'll be having Cooked smoked salmon with eggs and a champagne spritzer (cant believe I'm going to add lemonade to the Champage I've bought - still, needs must). As I hate fish, I'm having Sausages from my local butcher with black pudding in them, scrambled eggs and undiluted champagne :icon_lol:

Poncy-tastic :icon_lol:

Oh good. I've never tried it before and tbh the pud is Mrs Paws idea. I'd planned on using cream but wouldn't have thought of the evaporated milk. Might see if I can get some this afternoon.

Cheers for the tip :icon_lol:

Your mustard parsnips sound canny too. Might have to try that one out too :icon_lol:

Little gutted I'm not going round me mate's house again. They had melted red leicester over the top of the chipolatas. Gee whizz they were lush.

Just hope if me dad is cooking again he'll do proper gravy instead of just pouring the turkey juice over everything... :icon_lol:

Oh aye and I've made some chocolate and raisin fudge. Shame I didn't have any rum handy, but it'll still be great for pud.

He's telling porkies.

Arctic Roll for pud.

:icon_lol:<_<

As long as the Blue Nun was properly chilled....

Too right. Am dead classy me like. Nee waam wine for me!

:icon_lol:

breast or thigh man?

If given the choice, I'd have to sample them both. It'd be rude not too man :icon_lol: :icon_lol: