Working Class

wykikitoon

I said someone was working class who worked in accountancy and she was NOT happy (oops).

IMO the working class / upper class has changed since the earlier part of this centuary. Earlier it meant working class were physical people i.e labourers, steel workers, mill workers etc

What are other peoples thoughts?

Every cunt thinks there middle class now, they're not. Just in debt up their fucking eyeballs, anyone can do that.

Yeh definitely.

My mother is from a working class background and my Dad is from a more middle class background but I consider myself to be working class.

A lot of people confuse themselves and their class by going to Uni and then suddenly start declaring themselves as middle class, and you see changes in their accents and unnecessary changes in their vocabulary.

At the end of the day unless you are very skint class shouldn't really be an issue as living standards seem to be fairly decent these days, most people can have basic things they need.

''Underclass'' is a different matter. It's something that's always existed but it's become easily mockable in the digital age as it's more accessible for people to see. Such as websites taking the piss out of Chav's and tributes to tramps and lunatics in the form of Facebook groups.

It's about upbringing and attitude imo - I don't like it when people think they've been "promoted" just because they get a good job/earn a decent wage/buy a semi-detached house.

I think mobility is possible in the sense that peoples kids could grow up middle class without them really noticing it but that's about it.

the English are obsessed with class - they spend ages when they first meet you trying to pigeon hole you using accent, school, place of birth, first names, father's job..........................

Americans just want to know how rich you are

I think it's a lot harder to define now than it used to be.

Generally, it used to be that if you had an office or civil service job or you were a professional (eg doctor, solicitor, teacher) you were Middle Class.

If you were doing a manual or a skilled industrial job, you were Working Class.

Nowadays, you can have Plumbers, Mechanics etc earning the same or more than some civil servants and officce workers.

also, with the decline in heavy industry, more people are doing clerical/office based jobs, so nowadays the lines are blurred.

Then you have people defining theirs and other people's class in different ways. Some people will define it on their family background, some on their job and lifestyle.

Personally, I've never been sure. My Mam was a teacher (she's now retired), which as a professional occupation is probably Middle Class. My maternal Grandparents were very much Middle Class. Big semi detached house with a big garden in a leafy, affluent suburb. My Grandad was fairly high up in the civil service, and was privately educated.

My dad though left school at 15, did his apprenticeship, became a Turner, worked at Parsons and Swan Hunters, and was the son of a miner and a school cook. So basically, he's from solidly working class background.

So, where does that put me? I'm not sure. If I go on my parents background, I'm in the middle. workwise, I'm a civil servant - but whilst I'm not on minimum wage, I'm not on a great deal of money - enough to get by. I went to University, but I'm not sure that makes me Middle class. I grew up in, and still live in Heaton, which has always been a mixture of Working and Middle Classes.

These days, I just don't worry about it. it's not that important. I've met people from all sorts of backgrounds, and you find that you find really nice and really nasty people at all points of the spectrum, and what kind of person someone is, is more important than their class.

I think it's a lot harder to define now than it used to be.

Generally, it used to be that if you had an office or civil service job or you were a professional (eg doctor, solicitor, teacher) you were Middle Class.

If you were doing a manual or a skilled industrial job, you were Working Class.

Nowadays, you can have Plumbers, Mechanics etc earning the same or more than some civil servants and officce workers.

also, with the decline in heavy industry, more people are doing clerical/office based jobs, so nowadays the lines are blurred.

Then you have people defining theirs and other people's class in different ways. Some people will define it on their family background, some on their job and lifestyle.

Personally, I've never been sure. My Mam was a teacher (she's now retired), which as a professional occupation is probably Middle Class. My maternal Grandparents were very much Middle Class. Big semi detached house with a big garden in a leafy, affluent suburb. My Grandad was fairly high up in the civil service, and was privately educated.

My dad though left school at 15, did his apprenticeship, became a Turner, worked at Parsons and Swan Hunters, and was the son of a miner and a school cook. So basically, he's from solidly working class background.

So, where does that put me? I'm not sure. If I go on my parents background, I'm in the middle. workwise, I'm a civil servant - but whilst I'm not on minimum wage, I'm not on a great deal of money - enough to get by. I went to University, but I'm not sure that makes me Middle class. I grew up in, and still live in Heaton, which has always been a mixture of Working and Middle Classes.

These days, I just don't worry about it. it's not that important. I've met people from all sorts of backgrounds, and you find that you find really nice and really nasty people at all points of the spectrum, and what kind of person someone is, is more important than their class.

Pleb. :(

As Tom states above, the line between working and middle classes has become more blurred. There is however a clearly defined underclass now: No work ethic, few social skills and impossible to educate. Filthy, ignorant, breeding, feral scum.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

As Tom states above, the line between working and middle classes has become more blurred. There is however a clearly defined underclass now: No work ethic, few social skills and impossible to educate. Filthy, ignorant, breeding, feral scum.

Mackems have been around for ages. Shirley.

Mackems have been around for ages. Shirley.

not around - at the bottom of the pile is more correct