Coventry City 0-2 Newcastle United FT

Tom

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.. and 12 points ahead of third.

On 45 points, about half way of the amount we need to get auto promotion.

and yet ... not even halfway through the season.

Fuck it ... I've just jinxed us!

Full time.

7 points clear :lol:

12 points clear of the play offs :ithankyou:

cue Accadaccaspacca

If we win at Barnsley at the weekend, it could be even more than 12 points. Swansea are playing Forest and Cardiff are away at Boro, so these teams are bound to take points off each other.

4000 away fans their tonight, well done fellas! :lol:

And about 7000 will be at Barnsley on Sat. A number a lot of Premiership clubs could be proud of.

2000 more than Plymouth managed in total for their last home game.

this might be the rum talking, but as a loyal fan base, we're second to none.

Can't we just stay in the Championship..... :icon_lol:

I forgot what it felt like to win. :lol:

We've won 7 of our last 7. Took us 38 matches to notch up 7 wins last season. :ithankyou:

would like pancrate toget a start

this, with guthrie moved infield.

Top marks to Hughton if he does this (whether it works or not).

You're kidding aren't you? It's the obvious move.

Since when has that mattered?

What I meant was I wouldn't give Hughton much credit for playing people in their proper positions (were he to do so). However, I actually expect him to play Butt and shove Guthrie out to the right again. Hope I'm wrong though.

Its what i'd do, its what you'd do but am not sure its what Hughton will do. If he does, then i think it will be significant since it means firstly, that he isnt playing to sneak a 0-1 result (which he shouldnt do) and secondly that he realises that Butt is more of a liability over 90 minutes (he can put a 30 minute shift in at best nowadays imo) than giving Guthrie the central role.

If we start with Jonas, Guthrie, Smith and Pancrate then we are starting with one of our best midfield combinations. I think Hughton has been erring on the side of caution a few times with his midfield (or feels pressured to play senior players?). Not doing so is a good sign, no?

Fair enough, but like I said, I wouldn't say 'well fucking done Chris' when it's that obvious to most of us. And I think it's probably a combination of the bit in bold that has led to his selections so far.

The commentators on Radio 5 summed it up pefectly last night, saying there was no one in the midfield who could put their foot on the ball and play it on the deck. Apparently we just lumped it for the first 30 minutes. Its no surprise that both assists were from the left back.

However, we did get the 3 points so cant complain too much at the midfield selection but surely he will change it for saturday?

Guthrie must be sick as a chip man, having been made to play wide-right he's then overlooked for the middle of the park for Butt. Nolan will be back there on Saturday I'd imagine.

At the start fo the season I thought Guthrie would be one of our best players this season. I liked the look of him at the start of last season - he looked like he had a good attitude and rarely gave the ball away. Never looked like providing a telling pass or setting up many goals like, but I was hoping that might be a question of not having the confidence to try something out of the ordinary... he was always going to start struggling when the team started bombing. I thought he was just the kind of player that could move up a few notches thanks to the KK effect... anyway, when it all went bollock shaped I was still hoping a season pulling the strings in the championship might give him that confidence to run the show. Should have known better - since when did we develop a talent.... To be fair though I can't really blame Hughton for erring on the side of caution - he's not a manager and was always going to play it safe a the start, to make sure we didn't get off to a stinker and wreck our chances of going up. Can't really drop Nolan either, cos the goals he's scored are priceless.

Surely Hughton must realise Butt is on his way out? It sounded like he had one of his better games for us yesterday but Lawro and his mate were still pretty scathing.

'Lawro' scathing about NUFC ???? :lol::ithankyou::icon_lol:<_<:( You'll be telling me there's no Santa, next.

Surely Hughton must realise Butt is on his way out? It sounded like he had one of his better games for us yesterday but Lawro and his mate were still pretty scathing.

It sounded like the old story - his tackling etc was good and contributed to the result but his distribution was shite.

I've said before that I have no problem with him playing as long as he hands the ball off to someone else instead of trying to play - I think him being "forced" into that last year because the rest were shit was a huge factor.

Smith does this quite well and the centre halves + jonas haven't been bad this year at moving the ball around when they've tried - it sounded last night as if they'd either been told to be more direct (probably because of some strange idea that Shola could cope) or it was just a bad day.

Can't find any highlights yet, anybody had any luck?

watched the goals this morning on SSN. someones transplanted sholas head on ronaldihno's body. i swear...........

Lawro did make reference to the fact he'd bulked up!!

He was a bit tasteless last night when he said in the first half that all the long balls were like Luftwaffe flying overhead.