James Beattie considers Stoke future over Pulis bust-up

Craig

Stoke striker James Beattie is considering a move away from the club following a bust-up with manager Tony Pulis, BBC Sport understands.

It was alleged Pulis and Beattie had to be separated in the dressing room after Saturday's 2-0 defeat by Arsenal.

And contrary to reports, the 31-year-old has not apologised to Pulis and is in fact weighing up his options.

Beattie has 18 months left on his current contract, having arrived at the Britannia Stadium in January, 2009.

He became a big favourite at the club when his seven goals during last season's run-in played a significant part in keeping the club in the Premier League.

And while he has only scored twice this season, in October's 2-1 win over West Ham, Beattie has again been a key member of a squad that currently sits in 11th, seven points off the relegation zone.

More to follow.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/8401965.stm

Worth a punt in January if it is true? Seemed to be scoring goals for fun towards the end of last season...

2 in 15 this season. Carroll, Ameobi, Lovenkrands and Harewood have all bettered that. Plus we have Ranger who looks handy should he get an extended run out. Id rather save the money for someone decent in midfield

You can't make direct comparisons like that without considering the vast gulf between the two leagues though. Look at Nolan compared to any amount of PL players this year. I'd say Beattie's better than anyone at the club as well as a striker.

2 in 15 this season. Carroll, Ameobi, Lovenkrands and Harewood have all bettered that. Plus we have Ranger who looks handy should he get an extended run out. Id rather save the money for someone decent in midfield

You can't make direct comparisons like that without considering the vast gulf between the two leagues though. Look at Nolan compared to any amount of PL players this year. I'd say Beattie's better than anyone at the club as well as a striker.

I agree totally, Beattie signing for Stoke kept them up, different class to what we’ve got.

Hes had 1 and a half good seasons in 8 or 9. Hes not worth the fee or wages hed demand imo

Wouldn't be a fee. I was on about getting him on loan. You could possibly even do a deal on the wages if he isn't snapped up elsewhere. That's a completely different point to the one you were making with the comparisons though, isn't it?

Aye I was suggesting we'd go for him on loan rather than a permanent deal.

As for the amount he's scored this season, the Championship is a totally different kettle of fish compared to the Premiership. Far and away better than what we have at the moment.

Hes had 1 and a half good seasons in 8 or 9. Hes not worth the fee or wages hed demand imo

Wouldn't be a fee. I was on about getting him on loan. You could possibly even do a deal on the wages if he isn't snapped up elsewhere. That's a completely different point to the one you were making with the comparisons though, isn't it?

No, the 2 arent mutually exclusive, although I know thats your favourite allegation on here.

1 - His form at the minute is worse than almost every striker on our books

2 - If he was free then yes it would be another body in the squad. However he cost Stoke 3.5million so they arent just going to write that off.

If he was free then yes it would be another body in the squad. However he cost Stoke 3.5million so they arent just going to write that off.

Well, they wouldn't be if we got him on loan until the end of the season. Which is what I was suggesting. No one has said Stoke are about to give him to us, are they?

Just checked the stats, bearing in mind it looks like we are 6 months from being a premiership club again, his last season in premiership before Stoke . . . . . . 2 goals in 33 games for Everton.

And a six month loan with us in the Championship is relevant how exactly?

I'd rather continue with Big AC (if he isnt locked up) than Beattie.

Carroll blows hot and cold for me, but he's a young lad at the same time. I think someone like Beattie, who can do a similar job but is better at it, could take some of the pressure off the younger strikers and, as Matt pointed out, him in and Harewood out would be a good move. I still think we're thin on the ground when you think Lovenkrands is injury-prone, ditto Shola, Carroll is young and Ranger hasn't even scored a senior goal for us yet in a competitive match (although he might turn into a canny player).

You said he was worth a punt, it was Andrew who mentioned the loan im afraid

Worth a punt doesn't simply mean buying him you mong! We'd have to fork out for his wages... :lol:

You said he was worth a punt, it was Andrew who mentioned the loan im afraid

Worth a punt doesn't simply mean buying him you mong! We'd have to fork out for his wages... :lol:

if he is at Stoke that's go tot be £10 a week and all the pork pies he can eat........... they're not exactly Citeh are they?

Just checked the stats, bearing in mind it looks like we are 6 months from being a premiership club again, his last season in premiership before Stoke . . . . . . 2 goals in 33 games for Everton.

Aye, ignore his record of better than 1 in 2 in the Championship for Sheff Utd. It's the Championship we'd be using him in.