Charva

Guest Stevie

We all know them, and we all know reformed charva's, some of my good friends are, lads and lasses. I was never a fully paid up member of the charvadom association, I reckon I had brief flirtations. When Berghaus and Nevica coats were in their hay day I had them but despite the people around me I was never ever a charva. I preferred to see myself as a young better looking version of Oz who was always my childhood hero. Oz was never a charva, just a fuckin proper Geordie by my definition call a spade a spade, rough diamond type of bloke, with decent values.

Anyway Auf Wiedesehen Pet was on the neet, second series before they fly out to Spain. Oz says the word charva 3 times in the show. Now that was what 1986? When I got to secondary school which was 1990, 11 or 12 year old, charva was a well used word. Forget the meaning of it, although to me it didn't necessarily mean like a rarfy, or as the pilfering bin dippers would say "scally", could even mean a big bloke, "some fokkin big charva". Anyway I don't care what anyone says the word charva originated from Newcastle, and chav is a national hybrid word of charva. I seen some wank documentary about how the word chav came from gypsies in the south, did it fuck, the evidence was minimal to say the least, and I know for a fact charva came before fuckin chav. Mugs.

Isn't Charver a derivation of a Norman word for young man? and from that you get Chav and from that step people created myths about "Council House and Vulnerable" among others. It's bollocks. It started from Norman English, it just so happens that Geordie holds closer ties with older versions of English, words like fettle, marra, yem all dragged from ancient settlers of our fair isle. But they're all old.

I like our version of English, it's fluid and pleasant on the ear, without sounding weak or fay

Isn't Charver a derivation of a Norman word for young man? and from that you get Chav and from that step people created myths about "Council House and Vulnerable" among others. It's bollocks. It started from Norman English, it just so happens that Geordie holds closer ties with older versions of English, words like fettle, marra, yem all dragged from ancient settlers of our fair isle. But they're all old.

I like our version of English, it's fluid and pleasant on the ear, without sounding weak or fay

Pish, utter pish. Stick to your Salvia from the Kard Bar mate.

Edited by Stevie

Aye I noticed he says it a few times like. I'd watched it millions of times before I noticed him say it mind. The bit when they're all sitting in the bar the night before they go to spain and that lad that Sammy Johnson plays walks in. He clearly says 'there's that charva that caused all the bother last neet.'

Always use that as backup when someone's trying to tell me that charva is derived from 'chav.' I'd never even heard 'chav' until a few years ago when the media picked up on it and decided it was a revelation. Charva however, I've heard all through my life.

Edited by WubbleUC

I'm not convinved charver and chav mean the same thing as each other or have a common root. Charver to me is broadly synonymous with the scouse scally or Glaswegian ned (non-educated delinquent) - basically the underclass. Down south being a chav is more about having a hideous taste in fashion I reckon. Anyone see that documentary with Julie Burchill in it about chavs a few years back? What a horrible cow she is.

We all know them, and we all know reformed charva's, some of my good friends are, lads and lasses. I was never a fully paid up member of the charvadom association, I reckon I had brief flirtations. When Berghaus and Nevica coats were in their hay day I had them but despite the people around me I was never ever a charva. I preferred to see myself as a young better looking version of Oz who was always my childhood hero. Oz was never a charva, just a fuckin proper Geordie by my definition call a spade a spade, rough diamond type of bloke, with decent values.

Anyway Auf Wiedesehen Pet was on the neet, second series before they fly out to Spain. Oz says the word charva 3 times in the show. Now that was what 1986? When I got to secondary school which was 1990, 11 or 12 year old, charva was a well used word. Forget the meaning of it, although to me it didn't necessarily mean like a rarfy, or as the pilfering bin dippers would say "scally", could even mean a big bloke, "some fokkin big charva". Anyway I don't care what anyone says the word charva originated from Newcastle, and chav is a national hybrid word of charva. I seen some wank documentary about how the word chav came from gypsies in the south, did it fuck, the evidence was minimal to say the least, and I know for a fact charva came before fuckin chav. Mugs.

Was he modest too? Or just completely deluded?

I watched it tonight too, was mint :razz:

It's my favourite out of the five series. 90% of people prefer the Germany one, not me.

Nah the one in Spain is mint :P

I can watch it for hours and not get board, so funny. Barry has got to be my fave. Them bermuda shorts last night were priceless :P

I watched it tonight too, was mint :P

It's my favourite out of the five series. 90% of people prefer the Germany one, not me.

Nah the one in Spain is mint :P

I can watch it for hours and not get board, so funny. Barry has got to be my fave. Them bermuda shorts last night were priceless :P

When he split them, "Ah fink you oughta get those back on shelf sharpish Barry". :razz:

Something I thought last night, when you see Brenda now 20 odd years on you think nah, but in her day she was decent, but it is amazing what passed as good looking in the 80s. Dennis's bird last night had teeth more yellow than our 1992 away shirt.

I watched it tonight too, was mint :razz:

No chance, the first series was far superior. Although each episode of AP1 was stand alone, it formed a continuous tale reminiscent of the brilliant Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads. The second series failed to do this meaning it only made sense if you watched it in chronological order. And it was set in two locations which made it feel even more disjointed. Also, AP1 had better guest actors and was just more funny in general.

AP2 doesn't even make sense towards the end, the plot went to shit when Gary Holton (Wayne) died and they had to resort to using body doubles and making Oz take his part. It just didn't work. That said, I liked them both, but only the first series was a true classic imo.

Apparently it wasn't Norman for youth it was Romani word for prostitute...

Always thought it was a Romany word for a young lad. Btw, the word was in common use when me dad was a lad. In Walker it was, anyway.

Always thought it was a Romany word for a young lad. Btw, the word was in common use when me dad was a lad. In Walker it was, anyway.

Wiki says it's Romani for child.

Wiki Charver

It also says it's a prostitute

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/charva

Wiki Charver

Which must mean Gypsies use child prostitutes! :razz:

Kill them all :P

Wiki Charver

Which must mean Gypsies use child prostitutes! :razz:

Kill them all :P

Maybe this is what set Hitler off?

I watched it tonight too, was mint :P

Nah the one in Spain is mint :)

When he split them, "Ah fink you oughta get those back on shelf sharpish Barry". :razz:

Something I thought last night, when you see Brenda now 20 odd years on you think nah, but in her day she was decent, but it is amazing what passed as good looking in the 80s. Dennis's bird last night had teeth more yellow than our 1992 away shirt.

I was thinking the same when I watched it a couple of weeks back :P

Hitler had a bit of a charver cut tbh.( if you take the tache away)

Hitler_without_moustache_by_lyonlamb.jpg

More Emo than Charver.

Bang on some Eye liner and a lip ring and you've got yourself a very misunderstood boy