Liverpoo

wykikitoon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a guy who works for us who is just the same. Born and bred down here in Devon as far as I know and yet he gets all arsey when you mention that they're out of the CL. He's normally a decent guy but he comes across as a right glory supporting tit, when it comes to football. I bet even I have been to Anfield more than him (once). I'm not the sort of fool who thinks you should support whichever team is nearest to where you live, or where you are 'from', I have no connections to the Blackburn/Lancashire area other than my real surname. But to big yourself up as a fan of a big 4 team when you've probably never even gone to a match and climbing aboard the big SKY fashionista boat like Zoe Ball is fucking sickening.

On the flip side, those who write in and demand you should automatically supprt your 'local' team are pretty dumb too. People move around the country more often than before, and it isn't nas simple as that. I would ask these zealots whether I should support Barnet, FC Gutersloh, Happy Valley, Carlisle, Bedford Town, Coventry City, Shrewsbury Town, Bridlington Town or Exeter City. All have been my 'local' team at some point in my life.

But to get back on topic: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Keep up the good work Manuel the Spanish Waiter. RBS will be having their own football team soon.

On the flip side, those who write in and demand you should automatically supprt your 'local' team are pretty dumb too. People move around the country more often than before, and it isn't nas simple as that. I would ask these zealots whether I should support Barnet, FC Gutersloh, Happy Valley, Carlisle, Bedford Town, Coventry City, Shrewsbury Town, Bridlington Town or Exeter City. All have been my 'local' team at some point in my life.

In my opinion locality and family allegiance are the only valid reasons for supporting a particular team. After that I just think it bizarre.

In my opinion locality and family allegiance are the only valid reasons for supporting a particular team. After that I just think it bizarre.

Spot on, and the family allegiance thing only applies if it wasn't bourne out of gloryhunting. You see debates on the internet, about who has the biggest national fanbase etc... It doesn't matter, has never mattered and will never matter. Liverpool's plastic support will disappear completely like it almost did in 2003, if they had THREE barren years. A clubs fanbase is the amount of people who are willing and able to go to games regularly only excuse being financial problems. On this score we're second or third in this country by a million miles.

Edited by Stevie

So I'm not allowed to support Blackburn despite my dad's friend taking me to many matches during the 1990's, the first time I went to regular games in my life? Do you advise that I support Exeter City, the league team, or Exmouth Town, where I actually live? Or perhaps I should go for whichever place I have lived at the longest, which would be Bedford Town.

I'm interested in your views as I have no family heritage towards any particular team, nor am I really 'from' anywhere.

Billy, thats allowed IMO. However as youre so far away, do you try and support your local clubs? A lot of people do that and I applaud them.

If Liverpoo fail to qualify for the CL then a LOAD of support from places overseas will dissaper IMO.

Spot on, and the family allegiance thing only applies if it wasn't bourne out of gloryhunting. You see debates on the internet, about who has the biggest national fanbase etc... It doesn't matter, has never mattered and will never matter. Liverpool's plastic support will disappear completely like it almost did in 2003, if they had THREE barren years. A clubs fanbase is the amount of people who are willing and able to go to games regularly only excuse being financial problems. On this score we're second or third in this country by a million miles.

Having lived in Finland and Norway I can tell you the plastic scandinavian fans that have been described in this thread are a lot more loyal than you might think. I know Finnish fans of Stoke and Forest who've been supporting them since the 70s and just stuck with them through it. Their own league isn't up to much so along with supporting HJK or whoever they choose an English club in the hopes of seeing a team they support play good football, with good players in good competitions. I also know a die hard Ajax fan from Lapland who obsessively follows them since Litmanen's spell there in the 90's. As for Norway, there's supporter clubs for league 2 teams there, the likes of Leyton Orient actually have a fanbase there, god knows why.

Having lived in Finland and Norway I can tell you the plastic scandinavian fans that have been described in this thread are a lot more loyal than you might think. I know Finnish fans of Stoke and Forest who've been supporting them since the 70s and just stuck with them through it. Their own league isn't up to much so along with supporting HJK or whoever they choose an English club in the hopes of seeing a team they support play good football, with good players in good competitions. I also know a die hard Ajax fan from Lapland who obsessively follows them since Litmanen's spell there in the 90's. As for Norway, there's supporter clubs for league 2 teams there, the likes of Leyton Orient actually have a fanbase there, god knows why.

...and less than 0.1% of these will go to more than five games a season. It really is just pathetic.

...and less than 0.1% of these will go to more than five games a season. It really is just pathetic.

In the late 90's there were a couple of relitively attractive Norweigan lasses came across to SJP for every home game. Not sure whether they still go like, but they were certainly dedicated at that time.

In the late 90's there were a couple of relitively attractive Norweigan lasses came across to SJP for every home game. Not sure whether they still go like, but they were certainly dedicated at that time.

Did they have hairy faces?