GLOBAL WARMING

AgentAxeman

Why didn't you say you wanted t discuss the gluon, photon, graviton etc....Personally I thought they were made up. :(

There's no coherence in your cut and paste frenzy, making me suspect you have little understanding of the principles of Physics, even from a lay perspective.

I admit that I wouldn't particularly want to discuss particle physics as it is too far beyond my knowledge zone. Difference is, just because I don't understand it, does not mean I assume these particles don't exist, or I'll go Googling on a whim.

You're too silly to understand the answer. Of course man has had an impact on the health of the planet, but that has nowt to do with global warming.

There's the rub, climate change is what I'm talking about, Global warming is a fuzzy phrase that doesn't do justice to the topic.

To say the global community is "warming" is to ignore the unbelievably complex cause and effect of minute changes in wind and water "streams" that have occured thanks to us. Man has had an affect on the climate of the world. While the Earth does flux and flex, the industrialisation clearly isn't part of that natural rhythm and so obviously we should try and return to some kind of balance. It just makes sense not to blindly charge headlong down a dangerous path.

but I forgot about the ufos and/or deities who will save us from ourselves.

New Theory: Universe Was Born in a Black Hole

By Robert Roy Britt

Senior Science Writer

posted: 09:45 am ET

17 September 2003

If black holes and the Big Bang befuddle you, try wrapping your brain around this one: The entire universe may have been created in an explosion inside a black hole.

"It's a mathematically plausible model which refines the standard model of the Big Bang," said Blake Temple, a mathematician at the University of California, Davis.

The standard model holds that the universe began about 13.7 billion years ago. The Big Bang is described not as an explosion so much as a rapid outflow of material from a point of nearly infinite density. It is a theory, one among several attempting to describe the observed expansion of the universe today. It has not been proved.

The Big Bang has been compared to black holes before, because the tremendous crush of matter that defines a black hole is much like the unfathomable density that preceded the Big Bang. Both phenomena are termed singularities.

In the proposed modification to the standard model, the Big Bang is an actual explosion, Temple explained today in a statement, and it occurs within a black hole in an existing space. The shock wave of the explosion is expanding into an infinite space.

Temple also describes the whole scenario as a white hole, the theoretical opposite of a black hole because it tosses matter outward instead of pulling it in.

White holes have been talked about before, mostly as mathematical curiosities. There is no evidence these "anti-black holes" exist, whereas scientists have solid evidence for the presence of black holes.

Eventually, Temple says, the universe will emerge from all this as something like an exploded star, called a supernova, but on an enormously large scale. He said the new theory satisfies Einstein's equations in the General Theory of Relativity, which gave rise to the Big Bang theory.

Temple can't say where the matter we see today originally came from. What existed before the Big Bang? This, in fact, is a thorn in the side of all cosmologists, and it may never be answered because we can't see time and space as it existed prior to time as we know it.

But Temple and colleague Joel Smoller, from the University of Michigan, wrote recently in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:

"It is natural to wonder if there is a connection between the mass that disappears into black hole singularities and the mass that emerges from white hole singularities."

And it remains to be seen, or more likely not, whether any of this is true.

makes sense to me. crunch & bang, crunch & bang, etc.

Geekiest thread ever? Do you all have posters of Patrick Moore on your bedroom walls?

Shouldn't you be masturbating over Vauxhall Astra Spoilers?

You're too silly to understand the answer. Of course man has had an impact on the health of the planet, but that has nowt to do with global warming.

There's the rub, climate change is what I'm talking about, Global warming is a fuzzy phrase that doesn't do justice to the topic.

To say the global community is "warming" is to ignore the unbelievably complex cause and effect of minute changes in wind and water "streams" that have occured thanks to us. Man has had an affect on the climate of the world. While the Earth does flux and flex, the industrialisation clearly isn't part of that natural rhythm and so obviously we should try and return to some kind of balance. It just makes sense not to blindly charge headlong down a dangerous path.

Who's to say industrialisaton isn't part of a natural cycle?

New Theory: Universe Was Born in a Black Hole

By Robert Roy Britt

Senior Science Writer

posted: 09:45 am ET

17 September 2003

If black holes and the Big Bang befuddle you, try wrapping your brain around this one: The entire universe may have been created in an explosion inside a black hole.

"It's a mathematically plausible model which refines the standard model of the Big Bang," said Blake Temple, a mathematician at the University of California, Davis.

The standard model holds that the universe began about 13.7 billion years ago. The Big Bang is described not as an explosion so much as a rapid outflow of material from a point of nearly infinite density. It is a theory, one among several attempting to describe the observed expansion of the universe today. It has not been proved.

The Big Bang has been compared to black holes before, because the tremendous crush of matter that defines a black hole is much like the unfathomable density that preceded the Big Bang. Both phenomena are termed singularities.

In the proposed modification to the standard model, the Big Bang is an actual explosion, Temple explained today in a statement, and it occurs within a black hole in an existing space. The shock wave of the explosion is expanding into an infinite space.

Temple also describes the whole scenario as a white hole, the theoretical opposite of a black hole because it tosses matter outward instead of pulling it in.

White holes have been talked about before, mostly as mathematical curiosities. There is no evidence these "anti-black holes" exist, whereas scientists have solid evidence for the presence of black holes.

Eventually, Temple says, the universe will emerge from all this as something like an exploded star, called a supernova, but on an enormously large scale. He said the new theory satisfies Einstein's equations in the General Theory of Relativity, which gave rise to the Big Bang theory.

Temple can't say where the matter we see today originally came from. What existed before the Big Bang? This, in fact, is a thorn in the side of all cosmologists, and it may never be answered because we can't see time and space as it existed prior to time as we know it.

But Temple and colleague Joel Smoller, from the University of Michigan, wrote recently in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:

"It is natural to wonder if there is a connection between the mass that disappears into black hole singularities and the mass that emerges from white hole singularities."

And it remains to be seen, or more likely not, whether any of this is true.

makes sense to me. crunch & bang, crunch & bang, etc.

If the universe made sense it wouldn't work.

Fair enough, there may well have been a civilisation who went through similar progression, but thee is literally no evidence of that. There is evidence suggesting that the pollutants that industrialised man has released has had a noticeable effect on the climate.

just saying like...

Fair enough, there may well have been a civilisation who went through similar progression, but thee is literally no evidence of that. There is evidence suggesting that the pollutants that industrialised man has released has had a noticeable effect on the climate.

just saying like...

I'm positive we can turn it round on this planet. :unsure:

just saying like...

I'm positive we can turn it round on this planet. :unsure:

My point was that there is no evidence of industrialised civilisations prior to our own, yet there is evidence of prehistoric life... surely industry would have left some kind of remainder?

Politico says that the fate of the earth, i.e. the climate bill in the senate, is now in the hands of Sen. Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico. This is because he is seen as someone who could get a bipartisan consensus. But Democrats on the Hill are missing their big opportunity to appeal to Republicans by not foregrounding climate change as a security issue–in fact, an al-Qaeda issue. That’s right, Fox Cable News. You can’t be a ‘war on terror’ hawk if you blow off the dangers of climate change. Those bombings in Kampala you went crazy about? Not completely unrelated to East African drought. And, Bangladesh is not going to be pretty. Read on.

The general bad news is that a University of Alabama team of scientists has concluded that the first half of 2010 has been the hottest first five months of a year on record.

The specific bad news is that a team of climate scientists at the University of Colorado has discovered that some parts of the Indian Ocean are warming and rising more than others. A huge bathtub-shaped region has warmed 1 degree Fahrenheit during the past 50 years. The rising waters could threaten the low-lying Maldives islands. The change also has implications for monsoon rains, perhaps making them heavier in the east (Bangladesh, Orissa in India) and producing drought in the west (i.e. East Africa). The warming of these waters is almost certainly caused by man-made increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

These findings are very bad news, since the last thing Bangladesh needs is more flooding, and the last thing East Africa needs is more drought. Floods and displacement in Bangladesh could push Muslims in that populous country to desperation and extremism.

And, the increasing tendency to drought in East Africa– Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, is wrought up with the poor security situation in that part of the world and in turn present opportunities for warlords and al-Qaeda to take advantage of the impoverished and displaced. A failed state like that in Somalia cannot be entirely blamed on climate change, but it is one contributory cause. In short, East Africans are already facing climate-change disaster– and Darfur, Eritrea, and extremism in Somalia (which was responsible for Sunday’s horrific bombings in Uganda) is connected to this problem.

That is, yes, the ‘war on terror’ hawks who want to defeat al-Qaeda will have to start fighting global warming as a key part of the struggle for human security.

http://www.juancole.com/2010/07/global-war...dian-ocean.html

Politico says that the fate of the earth, i.e. the climate bill in the senate, is now in the hands of Sen. Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico. This is because he is seen as someone who could get a bipartisan consensus. But Democrats on the Hill are missing their big opportunity to appeal to Republicans by not foregrounding climate change as a security issue–in fact, an al-Qaeda issue. That’s right, Fox Cable News. You can’t be a ‘war on terror’ hawk if you blow off the dangers of climate change. Those bombings in Kampala you went crazy about? Not completely unrelated to East African drought. And, Bangladesh is not going to be pretty. Read on.

The general bad news is that a University of Alabama team of scientists has concluded that the first half of 2010 has been the hottest first five months of a year on record.

The specific bad news is that a team of climate scientists at the University of Colorado has discovered that some parts of the Indian Ocean are warming and rising more than others. A huge bathtub-shaped region has warmed 1 degree Fahrenheit during the past 50 years. The rising waters could threaten the low-lying Maldives islands. The change also has implications for monsoon rains, perhaps making them heavier in the east (Bangladesh, Orissa in India) and producing drought in the west (i.e. East Africa). The warming of these waters is almost certainly caused by man-made increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

These findings are very bad news, since the last thing Bangladesh needs is more flooding, and the last thing East Africa needs is more drought. Floods and displacement in Bangladesh could push Muslims in that populous country to desperation and extremism.

And, the increasing tendency to drought in East Africa– Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, is wrought up with the poor security situation in that part of the world and in turn present opportunities for warlords and al-Qaeda to take advantage of the impoverished and displaced. A failed state like that in Somalia cannot be entirely blamed on climate change, but it is one contributory cause. In short, East Africans are already facing climate-change disaster– and Darfur, Eritrea, and extremism in Somalia (which was responsible for Sunday’s horrific bombings in Uganda) is connected to this problem.

That is, yes, the ‘war on terror’ hawks who want to defeat al-Qaeda will have to start fighting global warming as a key part of the struggle for human security.

http://www.juancole.com/2010/07/global-war...dian-ocean.html

But maybe not :jesuswept:

• 2 months later...

There is a new movement in the left (Naomi Klein, seemingly Juan Cole amongst others) who promulgate a narrative that the emissions of the west are directly responsible for natural disasters and destructive climate change in impoverished areas of the world.

I have no real grasp on the science involved so it is difficult to make a judgement on whether there is truth in this matter, however the cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if the left are trying to make themselves relevant again after a pretty bad century and their absolutely redundant ideology (at key times) with regard to this last decade. There has always been a masochistic streak in the western left, and they are always keen to attack those of us who don't rabidly engage in the self-flaggelation that they promote.

There is a new movement in the left (Naomi Klein, seemingly Juan Cole amongst others) who promulgate a narrative that the emissions of the west are directly responsible for natural disasters and destructive climate change in impoverished areas of the world.

I have no real grasp on the science involved so it is difficult to make a judgement on whether there is truth in this matter, however the cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if the left are trying to make themselves relevant again after a pretty bad century and their absolutely redundant ideology (at key times) with regard to this last decade. There has always been a masochistic streak in the western left, and they are always keen to attack those of us who don't rabidly engage in the self-flaggelation that they promote.

Let's cut through the crap, it's basically made up and not in the jackanory style of times gone by, no - that would be too straighforward. It's made up in such a way with such weight of evidence it looks as if it's real.

Well, Naomi Klein and her like would posit that when I go round cruising for poon in my SUV, an Indonesian farmhand dies of malnutrition as a result. That I don't accept this readily as fact probably demonstrates that I have been brainwashed by the cooperations into a rampant consumer, hell-bent on guzzling oil and suckling from the bosom of capitalism. Either that or they're wrong.

Does that mean those chemtrail thingies that were supposedly a secret experiment to deflect sunlight in order to halt global warming must actually be something else then?

Edited by alex