Robben to leave Chelsea?

Craig

I've heard Henry has fallen out with Wenger, and won't re-sign his contract.

I think we should make a move for him, because he'd play lush with Owen.

56527[/snapback]

It's not that long ago that you reckoned people who thought Michael Owen would sign for us had their head in the clouds....

;)

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...970entry17970

56657[/snapback]

I know, I was wrong. That's why we should go for Henry, because we can sign anyone and we want, money no object!

56660[/snapback]

I think most of us were a tad cynical regarding Owen coming here. Especially after the Rooney saga and our poor league campaign. In any case, signing Owen, if anything, makes it less likely that we would sign Robben as we probably wouldn't have the cash even if he were available.

56788[/snapback]

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. Few of us thought we could land Owen at the time, but through a combination of shrewd business and good fortune, plus Alan Shearer's pulling power, we managed it. However, for Craig to use that as an argument to proove we can get any world class player we wish is just plain ridiculous. Do people think we have infinite funds, or that we are are a more attractive option than teams like Barcelona, Milan, Arsenal, ManU etc?

I now know what HTL was talking about when he accused people of talking Championship Manager on here. Obviously its harmles to speculate, but I think people should be at least a little realistic. This reminds me of a N-O thread.

Have you been on N-O recently? My favourite today was the one where someone started a Sheringham for England thread then later said if they got enough people interested they could start a campaign. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Jesus wept tbh.

Have you been on N-O recently? My favourite today was the one where someone started a Sheringham for England thread then later said if they got enough people interested they could start a campaign. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Jesus wept tbh.

56826[/snapback]

;)

56826[/snapback]

Not only is it a Sheringham for England thread. He actually says that Sheringham could be the key to England winning the World Cup. Bloody hell.

I've heard Henry has fallen out with Wenger, and won't re-sign his contract.

I think we should make a move for him, because he'd play lush with Owen.

56527[/snapback]

It's not that long ago that you reckoned people who thought Michael Owen would sign for us had their head in the clouds....

;)

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...5533;entry17970

56657[/snapback]

I know, I was wrong. That's why we should go for Henry, because we can sign anyone and we want, money no object!

56660[/snapback]

I think most of us were a tad cynical regarding Owen coming here. Especially after the Rooney saga and our poor league campaign. In any case, signing Owen, if anything, makes it less likely that we would sign Robben as we probably wouldn't have the cash even if he were available.

56788[/snapback]

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. Few of us thought we could land Owen at the time, but through a combination of shrewd business and good fortune, plus Alan Shearer's pulling power, we managed it. However, for Craig to use that as an argument to proove we can get any world class player we wish is just plain ridiculous. Do people think we have infinite funds, or that we are are a more attractive option than teams like Barcelona, Milan, Arsenal, ManU etc?

I now know what HTL was talking about when he accused people of talking Championship Manager on here. Obviously its harmles to speculate, but I think people should be at least a little realistic. This reminds me of a N-O thread.

56820[/snapback]

On the contrary, I'm one of those who doesn't think real life is like Championship Manager however I had an inkling since about way back in February that we'd end up with Owen (ask Gol, he told me enough times to stop talking bullshit!) purely because I think the situation regarding the WC would get to him and that we'd be a 'viable option' - it proved right but I think it's only because of the WC that we were a consideration.

The same could be said of Robben. Holland have qualified and he'll be wanting to play. If he has fallen out with JM and wants to move on then for the sake of his WC ambitions, he may well do so. IF he does, then I think we'd be mad not to challenge the likes of Spurs for his signature as I think we'd have a chance.

As for money, agreed we don't have a bottomless pit and questions are asked as to where it is coming from, but we didn't have the money when we signed Shearer but when it became apparent that he was available, we made sure it was available. You never have enough money to buy a player, there's always something else it could be spent on/borrowed for - the question is, is the risk worth it?

In the case of Arjen Robben, I think it would be worth it.

If I was talking about Frank Lampard, then I agree there'd be absolutely no realism whatsoever. But with Robben, it's a different story. 12 months ago, a thread about the possibility of signing Scott Parker would probably have invoked the same debate! ;)

On the contrary, I'm one of those who doesn't think real life is like Championship Manager however I had an inkling since about way back in February that we'd end up with Owen (ask Gol, he told me enough times to stop talking bullshit!) purely because I think the situation regarding the WC would get to him and that we'd be a 'viable option' - it proved right but I think it's only because of the WC that we were a consideration.

The same could be said of Robben. Holland have qualified and he'll be wanting to play. If he has fallen out with JM and wants to move on then for the sake of his WC ambitions, he may well do so. IF he does, then I think we'd be mad not to challenge the likes of Spurs for his signature as I think we'd have a chance.

As for money, agreed we don't have a bottomless pit and questions are asked as to where it is coming from, but we didn't have the money when we signed Shearer  but when it became apparent that he was available, we made sure it was available. You never have enough money to buy a player, there's always something else it could be spent on/borrowed for - the question is, is the risk worth it?

In the case of Arjen Robben, I think it would be worth it.

If I was talking about Frank Lampard, then I agree there'd be absolutely no realism whatsoever. But with Robben, it's a different story. 12 months ago, a thread about the possibility of signing Scott Parker would probably have invoked the same debate! ;)

57056[/snapback]

Well fair enough, but I really can't see this one being pulled off in a million years. As Alex has said, financially the Owen signing makes any other big signings less likely - NUFC is run as a business unlike Chelsea and it would not make any sense to shell out so much money (probably at least as much as Owen) on another player, particularly an injury prone one. Plus, even if we had the resources, why would he come here? Before you point out that Owen did, he made it pretty clear that we were way down on his list - but for some reason the other big clubs didn't fancy him.

Also, with Shearer retiring, if we have any money left to spend at all, it has to be invested in a striker. With the exception of Owen and Shearer, who have we got up front? In reality, we could do with another two strikers given Owen's injury record. All this makes the signing of a nine figure midfielder ludicrous imo, especially considering we already have cover for that position.

Edited by Renton

56826[/snapback]

I seen that thread, fuck me gently ;)

Also, with Shearer retiring, if we have any money left to spend at all, it has to be invested in a striker.

57066[/snapback]

I know it's likely to disappoint most but I strongly suspect that Shearer's replacement has already been procured...

56826[/snapback]

Just read it. Oh dear. The bloke can't even last a whole match (not surprising considering his age)