The Guitar Thread

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

PXL_20240916_145355843_wwjkKdhu0J.thumb.jpeg.c300f2680c4209a273a7ca6c9453f360.jpeg

Strong recommend for this little thing if you're wanting to dip your toe into amp/effect modelling. 

It's got 7 of the full Helix's amp models on there, and then four each of the full Helix's delay/distortion/modulation/reverb models. 

Piece of absolute piss to use. Turn the centre dial to pick the amp you want, then turn the four effects dials to pick a distortion / delay / mod / reverb or combo of the above. Once you're within a certain effect (say boost), the more you turn clockwise, the more boost you get until it flips into overdrive, and the same again. 

There's even a 30 second looper on there if you turn the delay knob all the way to the right. 

It's got stereo line out and also a headphone jack on the side. Also a USB in so you can plug it into your phone / tablet / PC and the sound from that will come through the headphones too. 

All for the absolute bargain price of £180. 

There's an edit program where you can go in and tweak all the amp and effects settings just like you would on a real Helix too, if you can be fucked. But it's the simplicity of not having to do any of that to get a good sound which is the best thing about it.

Screenshot_20240916-164439.png

• Like 3

That looks great - are you still getting a lot out of the Helix? 

I still use mine for my home setup, amazing piece of gear.

I've just been setting it back up actually. It's been tucked under my desk so I haven't really been able to get at it but it's back in business now. Mental that they're still pushing out substantial updates with new amps/effects 9 years after it first came out. 

I'd buy anything Line 6 put out as the replacement to the Helix, comfortable in the knowledge that they'll support it for years. 

• Like 1

Speaking of, interesting new thing from Neural DSP this week, the Nano Cortex. 

500 quid, can profile amps and use other peoples profiles and presets from their online library but can't do its own patch building/modelling or support the Neural plugins like the full fat version.

Couple of friends have got the full quad cortexs recently and they are astonishing bits of kit. The real time transposer is unbelievable, changing tunings on the fly for someone who mostly plays metal?! fuck yes.

The Nano does that too, and seems to mostly fulfill everything I'd actually want for a third the price of the full unit, considering it.

Aye I've seen a few videos on it, and by all accounts the QuadCortex is a big step up on all of the other modellers. I know it's been getting some grief cos it doesn't come with amp models and doesn't contain drives, but assuming you can get other people's captures online and stick your own favourite drive in front of it, it seems a good bit of kit.

John Cordy on YouTube has done some videos on it recently and has gigged it in the past week if you wanted to hear his thoughts. He does pretty considered, if a bit rambling, videos on these things. 

Kemper have just released an upgrade for their latest unit (cost 749 euros), and if you want all of the new features it'll cost you 300 euros. Paid firmware upgrades ffs. 

Hopefully everyone bins their Kemper and that'll be enough to stop the other companies from starting this shit.