The Guitar Thread

Tom

Genuine query- which frets are the ones that need replacement, I’ve had a quick look, ran my stumpy sausage fingers over each one, and I honestly can’t feel any nicks or lumps?  

The top fret nearest the headpiece has some marks on it, but I really can’t feel any deformations? 

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Genuine query- which frets are the ones that need replacement, I’ve had a quick look, ran my stumpy sausage fingers over each one, and I honestly can’t feel any nicks or lumps?  

The top fret nearest the headpiece has some marks on it, but I really can’t feel any deformations? 

Other end of the neck, second and third last fret, there's a really small nick out of both frets. 

Good news is those frets are so far up the neck that they're part of the "fall-away" - basically the last 5 or 6 frets get progressively lower as you reach the end of the neck. So I reckon Dave will just take the level of those frets down enough to buff that mark out and then polish the frets up. 

If it had been anywhere else on the neck, there would have been a bigger job to level the frets but not up the dusty end. 

• Like 1

If he's still working on stuff like Come as you are just now he might not even be using that end of the fretboard much, for a while at least. 

If you get quoted something unexpectedly high for a repair and setup it might just be worth getting a basic setup and leaving the damage as is until hes learning the Sweet Child of Mine solos. 

Not saying don't get it fixed like, just that it's called "the dusty end" for a reason. Doubt it should cost that much though, from what Gemmill's said it sounds like something a good tech would cover within their hourly bench rate assuming there's no other surprises.

• Like 1

I was playing last night quite late on and I was bang into it before I remembered my neighbours exist. 

100% pulling the trigger on the Waza’s at the end of the month :lol: 

I emailed the Manson custom shop and they’re FULL for 2022 so unless some special editions crop up I’m just gonna keep putting some money aside for the custom shop job…..UNLESS I pull the trigger on something else in the meantime but nothing is jumping out at the moment.

I was very close to buying a PRS SE Custom 24 today :lol:

I've still got two other guitars up for sale that would change my budget quite a lot but its still on my mind.

They look good, I'd love a core model PRS of some sort, one of the little details I've always liked is the rectangle pickup bobbins that really fill out the pickup ring.

I looked at the S2 and the SE which are obviously way more sensibly priced, and was set on an S2 for a while, but the core stuff has genuinely worthwhile upgrades like the pickups and stuff. 

The price of PRS core range guitars is generally outrageous. Fair play though cos they sell plenty. 

I think both the SE and S2 ranges are absolutely class mind. 

I looked at the Mcarty models for a while and they look class across along all ranges. There’s still that thing in the back of your head however, where you spend £1800-2000 on a guitar and it’s not a “proper one”. :lol: 

How on Earth are East Coast releasing S-Types with rosewood boards for £99!? 

I thought there were supply issues with rosewood or at least ethical issues? Most guitars up to £600-700 will have pao ferra or Indian Laurel. 

Which, in a recent bout of snobbishness, I have decided i absolutely can’t stand.

• Haha 1

Rosewood is back on the "no bother" list I think, although I believe it's still pricier than the alternatives. 

I think the answer is that they're being made by 8 year olds living in borderline death camps. ;)

Ah right! 

I wasn’t sure, I’m still seeing shit load of fenders and even dearer epiphones using rosewood alternatives & it really puts me off. 

East Coast have go to be doing something dodgy like, their most expensive guitar seems to be a £200 LP with both a rosewood board and a set neck.

Not that I’m after buying one like it just annoyed me :lol: 

• Haha 1

Ok so I have had the Katana head MKII for a couple of weeks now and I am very much in the "Where has this been all my life" phase.

This thing is absolutely brilliant, genuinely perfect for what I want from an amp.

In addition to all its well publicised gubbins, it also seems to play better with my Kraken than Victorys own Sheriff did, the fact that its effects can come in after the loop to add to it is incredible.

Bloody love it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Ok so I have had the Katana head MKII for a couple of weeks now and I am very much in the "Where has this been all my life" phase.

This thing is absolutely brilliant, genuinely perfect for what I want from an amp.

In addition to all its well publicised gubbins, it also seems to play better with my Kraken than Victorys own Sheriff did, the fact that its effects can come in after the loop to add to it is incredible.

Bloody love it.

They're spectacularly good. I'd probably have bought one by now but it just wouldn't be a great look for a guy with a sideline in flogging 60 year old tech. Even the old Roland Cube tech was great tbh 

Wait did I say out loud? I meant to say "ha, check this prick out thinking his modern day digital amp is better than a JTM45".