The Guitar Thread

Tom

For those of you who actually know what you are doing, I'd like to ask your opinions. Did you get "proper" lessons when you were learning, or did you teach yourself? If you got lessons, were they useful? Would you recommend them? Obviously people are different and different teachers will work for different people etc, but I'd like to get a general feel for what people who can actually play think. Looking to start learning, hopefully when I get positive results for my last (!) exam at the end of the month.

Edit:

Also, do you reckon something like this could actually work to teach people how to play guitar?

http://rocksmith.ubi...home/index.aspx

I taught myself with a couple of starter tips from my dad e.g. notes of the guitar, part names etc... but I did play piano fairly well and knew a fair bit music theory already. I started playing when I was 11 though and apparently your mind is more like a sponge at that age and it gets harder to learn as you get older. My brother got lessons a year after I started playing and seemed to catch up with me fairly well. He had a very good teacher though. I suppose i's like owt else...if you get a good teacher and you really want to learn then it will work.

As for the guitar game thing...I didn't bother looking into what it was but immediately think it is a waste of time. If you need a game to keep you interested enough to learn to play you are never gonna be any good. Just the simple sitting for hours trying to master a 4 note riff in your bedroom should be enough to hold your interest if you really have the passion

@Andrew- I used to teach guitar about 10 years back and I had a student called Andrew who would be about your age now and I mostly taught him songs and a tiny bit of theory crap! Could it be thee?

Wish I'd stuck with the guitar. I had lessons, but used to get frustrated too easily when I couldn't grasp something, instead of sticking at it.

Got a couple of guitars I should really sell, but got an awful feeling I'll regret it if I ever do, despite never picking them up in years.

Got a couple of guitars I should really sell, but got an awful feeling I'll regret it if I ever do, despite never picking them up in years.

Jill keep them, if anything it will make a great NME story when your daughter goes onto a successful music career and she thanks her mum for introducing her to the guitar.

Aye, he must be a reet divvy, always picking up the wrong guitar ;)

Anyone got that new guitar hero that uses a proper guitar? Any good?

He actually has all of his guitars specially set up to sound exactly the same as his '59 Les Paul when he plays live

• 1 month later...

Does anybody on here play the piano/keyboard? (wasn't worth it's own thread)

I'm after an electric piano - I've got about £150 in the budget I reckon. I can do the basics - triad chords and a tiny bit of lead so I can get through some songs but I'm after learning a bit more so I don't have to concentrate as much when I'm playing - i.e I can enjoy it more.

I don't need a million sounds - Grand piano, upright & a rhodes would have me sorted.

I could do with an organ sound in there too - Muse use one on Megalomania.

Why did you start playing the organ?

Because one of my first bosses used to play it and I fancied a go.

As it happens Im hobby free at the minute and could quite fancy having another go.

Once thought I write a great song til I realised some months later it had already been a hit!!!!