Southgate sacked by Boro

Jimbo

I see the odds of Benitez being replaced by Dalglish have been slashed, how ironic would that be that another big club resorts to one of it's legends to save their asses when the going gets tough - of course I wouldn't dream of comparing such a thing to all the abuse Newcastle fans got for wanting Keegan back, or even Shearer :)

:)

About fucking time.

Dalglish has been touted as new Liverpool manager ever since he got involved with the youth policy.

Even more surprised that the scousers want him back when you see how they ridiculed Everton for bringing Kendall in 3 times!!

Dalglish would seriously fuck that job up I hope he gets it! :)

Boro set to name Strachan as boss

Championship side Middlesbrough are set to appoint former Celtic boss Gordon Strachan as their new manager two days after Gareth Southgate was sacked.

Chairman Steve Gibson told BBC Tees the new manager is unlikely to be in place for Middlesbrough's match against Preston on Saturday.

But he said an announcement would be made ahead of the match at Deepdale.

Strachan, 52, left Scottish side Celtic in May and has also managed Coventry and Southampton.

Former England defender Southgate was dismissed on Tuesday, just hours after his team defeated Derby 2-0.

The victory took Boro to fourth in the Championship, one point adrift of top spot, following relegation from the Premier League last season.

Gibson appointed rookie managers Bryan Robson, Steve McClaren and Southgate during his reign as chairman at The Riverside Stadium, but indicated he wanted a more experienced name in charge - with Strachan fitting the bill.

BBC 5 live's chief football reporter Ian Dennis said: "Strachan will be charged with realising Gibson's objective of winning promotion at the first attempt.

"Middlesbrough are just one point from the top - and Strachan will inherit a splendid opportunity."

Boro had suffered three defeats at home already this season, the latest of which came against Watford on Saturday.

"When I sat down and considered our start to the season, I felt that the league table was actually more favourable than some of our performances," Gibson's statement on the club website read.

"Then I looked at the important games against the teams immediately around us, and took those results into account.

"In general the results and the performances have not been to the level I would have hoped for.

"Before last night, our five home games had brought in seven points. That will not get us promoted - and promotion is the only objective for the season."

Strachan is a former Scotland international midfielder who played for Dundee, Aberdeen, Manchester United, Leeds and Coventry during a successful career.

He became player-manager of Coventry in 1996 and remained at the club until his dismissal at the end of the 2000-01 season.

Strachan took over at Saints in October 2001 and took the club to the 2003 FA Cup Final before resigning in February 2004.

The Scot succeeded Martin O'Neill as Celtic boss and won the SPL title in three consecutive seasons. He left the club after failing to retain the title last season.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ugh/8319489.stm

"When I sat down and considered our start to the season, I felt that the league table was actually more favourable than some of our performances,"

An owner with a bit of sense.

Agreed, maybe it could be argued that he was too loyal to Southgate but at least Gibson can see the bigger picture. Then again, he loves his club whereas our owner holds us in contempt.

Could we even attract a manager with Strachan's pedigree now? Sadly I don't think so.

Under the current circumstances I don't think Strachan would have touched us with a shitty stick. Still, the owner wouldn't have approached anyone with a strong will anyway. Hughton's probably just getting a change to his job description and (if he's lucky) a little bit more money.

Any manager with any ambition wouldn't come within a million miles of us. No money, no chance to form a team, lots of bullshit, cost cutting etc. You'd have to be desperate to take the job in the first place or mad

Any manager with any ambition wouldn't come within a million miles of us. No money, no chance to form a team, lots of bullshit, cost cutting etc. You'd have to be desperate to take the job in the first place or mad

Sad state of affairs I blame NUSC... :)

Imagine what Rod Liddle would be writing if this was NUFC instead of Boro btw. Fickle fans, chairman not content with being one point off top etc.

While I think it's odd timing to give him the sack he hasn't done a good job at Boro regardless of the supposed transfer restraints he had. It wasn't so much the players he bough (though many were indeed shite) it was those he sold. The likes of Shwarzer, Woodgate, Young, Boatang, Cattermole and Yakubu were all sold by Southgate and were never really replaced.

While I think it's odd timing to give him the sack he hasn't done a good job at Boro regardless of the supposed transfer restraints he had. It wasn't so much the players he bough (though many were indeed shite) it was those he sold. The likes of Shwarzer, Woodgate, Young, Boatang, Cattermole and Yakubu were all sold by Southgate and were never really replaced.

I don't think he really had much of a choice keeping any of those though and if he did they would not have been happy. Bar Perhaps Boateng and Cattermole.

All though I think his biggest mistake was Alves like for all that money.

Ouch.

It is strange how Mr. Horse face was sacked at this time, as he was doing OKish, and they have a good chance of automatic promotion. Obviously Strachan or whoever else may sign on was contacted on the sly. I think Gordon has some job to do, as Boro have little money and the smog monsters are staying at home.

Ouch.

It is strange how Mr. Horse face was sacked at this time, as he was doing OKish, and they have a good chance of automatic promotion. Obviously Strachan or whoever else may sign on was contacted on the sly. I think Gordon has some job to do, as Boro have little money and the smog monsters are staying at home having quality time with the family

fyp

Ouch.

It is strange how Mr. Horse face was sacked at this time, as he was doing OKish, and they have a good chance of automatic promotion. Obviously Strachan or whoever else may sign on was contacted on the sly. I think Gordon has some job to do, as Boro have little money and the smog monsters are staying at home having quality time with the family

fyp

Naughty! But funny :)

Strachan to be presented in a press conference at 2:30pm today

didnt stop that arse on SSN saying "gordon strachan is to be presented as the new...castle manager at 2:30pm today thats gordon strachan is to be presented as the new middlesbrough manager at 2:30pm today"

I reckon Strachan will be a success at Boro. Different to any previous managers they've had under Gibson in recent years as he's got a proven track record of having relative amounts of success at the clubs which he's been to.