Alcohol admissions top 860,000 in one year

Park Life

The scale of the health problems caused by alcohol in England was laid bare in the report which showed 863,257 patients sought treatment for alcohol-related harm in 2007/08, an eight per cent increase from the previous year or an additional 176 admissions every day.

The total includes more than 560,000 people who were admitted to hospital with conditions caused directly by their drinking. They had conditions which are mostly caused by long-term drinking such as liver cirrhosis or had overdosed on alcohol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthne...n-one-year.html

Got to say, since I've been living in Germany I've been drinking half what I used to drink in England. :(

The scale of the health problems caused by alcohol in England was laid bare in the report which showed 863,257 patients sought treatment for alcohol-related harm in 2007/08, an eight per cent increase from the previous year or an additional 176 admissions every day.

The total includes more than 560,000 people who were admitted to hospital with conditions caused directly by their drinking. They had conditions which are mostly caused by long-term drinking such as liver cirrhosis or had overdosed on alcohol.

Got to say, since I've been living in Germany I've been drinking half what I used to drink in England. :)

Can't hold your liquor? FFS...

:)

Got to say, since I've been living in Germany I've been drinking half what I used to drink in England. :)

.....like falling down and hurting yourself b/c you're drunk?...at least for 303257 of em anyway.

My Dad was in Hospital this week and he was talking to the bloke next to him who said he drank between 5 and 10 litres of cider a day depending on how much money he had.

Another bloke was saying he drank at lunch break from work, drank when he got in the house then went to the working mens club till it closes and comes back and has a whisky and a couple of cans before sleep, every day!

How are these people still alive? Apparently they were both shaking like fuck too and one guy said when the Doctor tells him to stop he just ignores him and goes out and gets pissed again.

It's a shame Doctors and Nurses have to put up with people they literally cannot help because they wont help themselves.

I did as well.

When Keegan came back I was so overjoyed/confused I went and bought a crate and 3 tickets to the Bolton game and I felt so bad the next day I went to hospital and had a blood test.

Me and my House mates (Huddersfield and a Norwich fan) were just glued to SSN and then just played PES and jammed.

Never again will I drink that much, the excitement was amazing though.

never been admitted to hospital but ive been in a few states. dont drink now.

on a mates stag do we got him so pissed he collapsed. he ended up in hospital getting his stomach pumped and what not.

a while later, he looked like he was gonna vomit so one of the nurses held an empty foil tray thing under his chin and he said "someones nicked me chinkies!"

:P

I did as well.

When Keegan came back I was so overjoyed/confused I went and bought a crate and 3 tickets to the Bolton game and I felt so bad the next day I went to hospital and had a blood test.

Me and my House mates (Huddersfield and a Norwich fan) were just glued to SSN and then just played PES and jammed.

Never again will I drink that much, the excitement was amazing though.

Oh I wished mine had only been that....

My folks went on hols when I was 15. I came home from school and treated myself to the bottle from the drinks cabinet that contained the biggest %age on the label. Proof 151 Bacardi, half a bottle later apparently my Mam called me from their hols and I told her to fuck off when she said I was drunk (a phone call I have no recollection of).

She hung up, called my brother who was living locally at the time who drove home, found me unconcious slumped in the armchair with the bottle now empty. I woke up at 7am next morning wired into so many machines I could barely move - I'd spent the night in one of the 3 Intensive Care beds at Shotley Bridge Hospital.

Now they never went into the finer details but when I was discussing this with a 'friend' in the medical industry some years later and suggesting they may have tried to scare the shit out of me the reply I got was "they don't 'waste' ICU beds to scare people, if you were in there you were in a very bad way!"

Ah well, you live and learn :P

Luckily I don't think I've ever been that bad, not sure if it's the worst I've ever been but the worst I've been found by the family was when I was 18/19 passed out with my head on the bog seat after throwing up. Was put to bed by my mam and was promptly sick over the side of the bed. Classy. Other casualties that night from the lads were out included one tripping over a grass verge and dislocating his shoulder and one (aged roughly 23/24) nailing the 17 year old sister of a local nut case. I think we were drinking pints of something called "Get Laid" from what was then Presidents and is now Gills Chippy.

Got a lift home from the cops once (well, halfway home - lazy bastards) after trying to walk down the middle of the Central Motorway in a snowstorm, but never troubled the hospitals yet, touch wood.

My Dad was in Hospital this week and he was talking to the bloke next to him who said he drank between 5 and 10 litres of cider a day depending on how much money he had.

Another bloke was saying he drank at lunch break from work, drank when he got in the house then went to the working mens club till it closes and comes back and has a whisky and a couple of cans before sleep, every day!

How are these people still alive? Apparently they were both shaking like fuck too and one guy said when the Doctor tells him to stop he just ignores him and goes out and gets pissed again.

It's a shame Doctors and Nurses have to put up with people they literally cannot help because they wont help themselves.

did you know Tom that if you're a registered alcoholic, you can get an extra allowance so you can feed your habit. strange (and extremely silly) but true!!