China has second highest number of billionaires

Park Life

China has more billionaires than any other country apart from the United States, a Forbes report has claimed.

Published: 3:20PM BST 13 Oct 2009

There are 130 billionaires, up from 101 last year, compared with 359 in the United States, 32 in Russia and 24 in India 24, according to the magazine.

China's rich are also getting richer, with the average wealth on the list £361 million, up almost one-third on last year.

Report author Rupert Hoogewerf said China's super-rich had bounced back from the financial crisis with a vengeance.

"We've seen China buck the trend and the wealth seems to be still growing," he said. "They've put the credit crunch behind them.

"The key driver has been urbanisation. You've got all these cities being built, and that requires property developers, iron and steel manufacturers. The latest thing is cars."

Topping the list was Wang Chuanfu, chairman of electric car and battery maker BYD, with an estimated personal wealth of $5.1 billion.

Second place went to Zhang Yin and family, owner of paper recycler Nine Dragons Paper, while in third place was Xu Rongmao and family, owner of Shimao Property Holdings.

What to do about China?? :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: So we should expect a Chinese Billionaire to buy out Ashley then.... right?

That would be lovely. ;)

No more half time pie....

Pint of flat piss in a plastic glass and fried meat pie please, extra chicken feet

:icon_lol: So we should expect a Chinese Billionaire to buy out Ashley then.... right?

That would be lovely. ;)

No more half time pie....

Pint of flat piss in a plastic glass and fried meat pie please, extra chicken feet

;) I love the way he's wearing a mask but uses his bare hands to make the pies. Hygiene at its finest. And then hoys them down on the bench. Made with love ;)

I was going to ask, are these Chinese Billionaires as dodgy as the the Russian Oil Oligarchs?

Yup.

I'm no expert, but....

I thought the Russian Oligarchs took advantage of the rapid privatisation forced on them by the IMF. Snapping up state assets at a fraction of their true worth and making billions at the expense of the public and the economy.

China never took IMF funds did they? Their plan for long term growth included privatisation when the economy was in a position to handle it, so China has gone from strength to strength while Russia's financial clout dwindled and it's billionaires fucked off elsewhere with the cash.

Also, wiki says the word oligarch theoretically means "one of the few rulers", so I'm not sure having more billionaires than any country bar one could warrant those billionaires being given that name.

I was going to ask, are these Chinese Billionaires as dodgy as the the Russian Oil Oligarchs?

Yup.

I'm no expert, but....

I thought the Russian Oligarchs took advantage of the rapid privatisation forced on them by the IMF. Snapping up state assets at a fraction of their true worth and making billions at the expense of the public and the economy.

China never took IMF funds did they? Their plan for long term growth included privatisation when the economy was in a position to handle it, so China has gone from strength to strength while Russia's financial clout dwindled and it's billionaires fucked off elsewhere with the cash.

Also, wiki says the word oligarch theoretically means "one of the few rulers", so I'm not sure having more billionaires than any country bar one could warrant those billionaires being given that name.

Who suggested that they could?

Yup.

I'm no expert, but....

Parky said they're as dodgy as the oligarchs.

I don't know what the similarity is between them, so I was was stating the differences as I see them. I don't know much about how China has prospered so I'd love to learn more, but what I do know is that poverty has reduced dramatically thanks to their economic policy and the growth in business....

Checking up on it - "Based on household surveys, the poverty rate in China in 1981 was 64% of the population. This rate declined to 10% in 2004, indicating that about 500 million people have climbed out of poverty during this period."

Wheras in Russia poverty only grew through the 90s prior to Putin getting in. The oligarchs raped the place.

Edited by Happy Face

They could at least spread the wealth a bit. Like those kind Nigerian princes I hear so much about.

Funny you should mention that, I'm expecting a large cash payment from one of those any day now. Should be soon as I've given him my bank details and everything :icon_lol:

They could at least spread the wealth a bit. Like those kind Nigerian princes I hear so much about.

Funny you should mention that, I'm expecting a large cash payment from one of those any day now. Should be soon as I've given him my bank details and everything :icon_lol:

;)

Edited by Park Life

Yup.

I'm no expert, but....

Parky said they're as dodgy as the oligarchs.

I don't know what the similarity is between them, so I was was stating the differences as I see them. I don't know much about how China has prospered so I'd love to learn more, but what I do know is that poverty has reduced dramatically thanks to their economic policy and the growth in business....

Checking up on it - "Based on household surveys, the poverty rate in China in 1981 was 64% of the population. This rate declined to 10% in 2004, indicating that about 500 million people have climbed out of poverty during this period."

Wheras in Russia poverty only grew through the 90s prior to Putin getting in. The oligarchs raped the place.

Sorry, I was asking if they were as dodgy as oligarchs, not if they were the same as oligarchs.

Sorry, I was asking if they were as dodgy as oligarchs, not if they were the same as oligarchs.

Yeah, it's Parky's fault. He didn't say why they were similarly dodgy. :icon_lol:

I know nothing about them tbf. ;)

I just tend to count all billionaires as dodgy.

"Beware the yellow peril"

My grandma told me they used to say that when she was little. She was born in 1909.

A few days after moving into an ethnically diverse neighbourhood of Birmingham in my second year of uni, an old Irish woman came up to us in the local park and, out of nowhere, proclaimed "You've got to watch out for them Pik-Paks!".