Obama v Fox

Park Life

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck me, I hope he made the mistake of addressing a particularly nationalistic Greek as Turkish. :D

I was thinking similar like. I know it's a insular country and I know it has so much diversity in it that you can almost see why you wouldn't feel the need to go abroad but at the same time, it's not like you meet the charvas when you come across ones in Europe. They tend to be pretty privileged by US standards. I know they're not all like that btw.

You meet some scarily ignorant Americans doing the whistlestop tour thing in Europe. Some of them aren't even sure what country they're in.

Another favourite was the girl who'd claimed to have 'done' (an obscenely arrogant use of the verb that irked my brother and I no end) England, when on further questioning it revealed that she had seen Buckingham Palace and been to a few Walkabouts in London. :D

I once had a conversation with one who commented on the quaintness of the Turkish national costumes in the window of a shop. I told him we were in Greece. He asked "What's the difference?" Cracked me up. I mean, Brits abroad can be canny bad, but they usually know what country they're in.

Was it an American or Canadian who thought that you were from Scandanavia? :D

Left wing love in!! :D

:D

seriously tho, you can't call people stupid cos they disagree with your political views, and if you do then you're as bad as those you're attacking! Dont forget that these people also think you're 'Stupid'. i guess if thats the case we're all as stupid as each other!! :D

which p.o.v. is the correct one?

that is the question!!

Fair and balanced Fox News are organising, hosting, promoting and supporting tea party's to protest the government...then reporting on them as a glorious example of grass roots protest and democracy in action.

It's not left wing to oppose that.

whats wrong with organising, hosting, promoting and supporting tea party's?

whats wrong with protesting against a government you disagree with?

whats wrong about calling it democratic? it's an opposing p.o.v. which you need in a democracy.

glorious grass roots protest. is that a direct quote? is so, then it's a bit o.t.t.

not looking for an argument here. just giving the discusion a bit of balance!

seriously tho, you can't call people stupid cos they disagree with your political views, and if you do then you're as bad as those you're attacking! Dont forget that these people also think you're 'Stupid'. i guess if thats the case we're all as stupid as each other!! :D

that is the question!!

I don't mind engaged right-wing folk, it's the willfull ignorance. John Stewart's show is quick to berate both sides of the aisle, but the right don't half make it easy. That woman from the Tea Party protest group with a 45 Magnum gun belt, with a crucifix in the holster... you couldn't write it.

You meet some scarily ignorant Americans doing the whistlestop tour thing in Europe. Some of them aren't even sure what country they're in.

Another favourite was the girl who'd claimed to have 'done' (an obscenely arrogant use of the verb that irked my brother and I no end) England, when on further questioning it revealed that she had seen Buckingham Palace and been to a few Walkabouts in London. :D

I once had a conversation with one who commented on the quaintness of the Turkish national costumes in the window of a shop. I told him we were in Greece. He asked "What's the difference?" Cracked me up. I mean, Brits abroad can be canny bad, but they usually know what country they're in.

Was it an American or Canadian who thought that you were from Scandanavia? :D

American, I suppose the accent's a bit different to what they've heard before. First time I went to Florida they thought we were Danish. I suppose fair play to them for having heard of Denmark :D

that is the question!!

:rolleyes:

Fair and balanced Fox News are organising, hosting, promoting and supporting tea party's to protest the government...then reporting on them as a glorious example of grass roots protest and democracy in action.

whats wrong about calling it democratic? it's an opposing p.o.v. which you need in a democracy.

glorious grass roots protest. is that a direct quote? is so, then it's a bit o.t.t.

Which is more than Fox are doing, given their tagline. :D

There's nothing wrong with any motivated group of individuals doing any of that. For a TV news channel to organise those events and report them as news is scandalous.

that is the question!!

I suppose they should try to remain fairly neutral if they want to portray themselves as a news channel. Obviously they might have an editorial leaning towards left or right / conservative or liberal or whatever but I don't really think they should be orgainising what amounts to political rallies with a strong agenda then portraying them as some sort of spontaneous example of the democratic process being alive and well.

AA, the point that was being made is that FOX declare themselves to be objective and then promote these protests, only to then report on the protests that they've organised as a ground swell movement of the people.

It's demagoguery on a national scale. FOX aims at the lowest common denominators; fear and prejudice. Stating that Obama's health plan will include "Death Panels", is both dangerous and untrue.

that is the question!!

I don't mind engaged right-wing folk, it's the willfull ignorance. John Stewart's show is quick to berate both sides of the aisle, but the right don't half make it easy. That woman from the Tea Party protest group with a 45 Magnum gun belt, with a crucifix in the holster... you couldn't write it.

yeah, but you get loonies like that from all walks of life!!!

does'nt christianity tell the 'believers' to smite their enemies?? in fact does'nt every religon??

funny!! :D

I suppose they should try to remain fairly neutral if they want to portray themselves as a news channel.

There is a culture difference - it would be hard to imagine a British newscaster doing an opinion piece to camera as they do in the states. Those I find fair enough even if they are bat shit crazy but as mentioned actually reporting stuff you've arranged as spontaneous for News purposes is dodgy.

that is the question!!

There's nothing wrong with any motivated group of individuals doing any of that. For a TV news channel to organise those events and report them as news is scandalous.

does smack a bit of the ol' 'propaganda' does'nt it. mind you, i can't think of any political movement (left or right) that has'nt used these tactics before.

just saying like............

seriously tho, you can't call people stupid cos they disagree with your political views, and if you do then you're as bad as those you're attacking! Dont forget that these people also think you're 'Stupid'. i guess if thats the case we're all as stupid as each other!! :rolleyes:

that is the question!!

does smack a bit of the ol' 'propaganda' does'nt it. mind you, i can't think of any political movement (left or right) that has'nt used these tactics before.

They're meant to be a news channel rather than a political movement though. :D

does'nt christianity tell the 'believers' to smite their enemies?? in fact does'nt every religon??

I'm confused, I'm talking about a Christian woman who thought it was appropriate to have a symbol of peaceful martyrdom nestled in a symbol of violent action. Now if it was irony I'd appluad it. That it was intended to say "I'm going to shoot you in the face with Jesus" scares the crap out of me.

seriously tho, you can't call people stupid cos they disagree with your political views, and if you do then you're as bad as those you're attacking! Dont forget that these people also think you're 'Stupid'. i guess if thats the case we're all as stupid as each other!! :rolleyes:

that is the question!!

all good proaganda stations call themselves news channels. any 'state controlled' channel (eg. al jazeera, pravda, bbc) for example has its own political bias. but in this case, i think its probably driven by money.

I'm confused, I'm talking about a Christian woman who thought it was appropriate to have a symbol of peaceful martyrdom nestled in a symbol of violent action. Now if it was irony I'd appluad it. That it was intended to say "I'm going to shoot you in the face with Jesus" scares the crap out of me.

maybe your taking it the wrong way Fish. maybe it was intended to say 'i used to be violent but have now replaced that with Jesus'??

that is the question!!

all good proaganda stations call themselves news channels. any 'state controlled' channel (eg. al jazeera, pravda, bbc) for example has its own political bias. but in this case, i think its probably driven by money.

But EVERY channel has a right wing (advertisers) bias.

Which channel organised, promoted and encouraged G20 or anti-war protesters?

Even NPR has banned the use of the word 'torture' in preference to "enhanced interrogation".

Edited by Happy Face

that is the question!!

Getting off topic but Al Jazeera isn't state controlled, it's independent. And the BBC isn't, even if it is state-funded. What propoganda does it put forward though? It's pretty critical of the government a lot of the time. Pravda is a bit different because it was a newspaper espousing the views of an autocracy. Not sure how independent it is these days. I think Fox is probably driven by it's owner(s) being right-wing conservatives.

Edited by alex

But EVERY channel has a right wing (advertisers) bias. - totally agree

Which channel organised, promoted and encouraged G20 or anti-war protesters? - I thought G20 was government organized?? are you talking about anti war protests in this country?? if so, no one. but the bbc promoted the hell out of them!

Even NPR has banned the use of the word 'torture' in preference to "enhanced interrogation" - there you go then, propaganda in action. led by a government that 'never' lies to it's citizens.

that is the question!!

Getting off topic but Al Jazeera isn't state controlled, it's independent. And the BBC isn't, even if it is state-funded. What propoganda does it put forward though? It's pretty critical of the government a lot of the time. Pravda is a bit different because it was a newspaper espousing the views of an autocracy. Not sure how independent it is these days. I think Fox is probably driven by it's owner(s) being right-wing conservatives.

sorry, i thought al jazeera was state controlled. i think it was before the war.

that is the question!!

:icon_lol:

sorry, i thought al jazeera was state controlled. i think it was before the war.

Which war? :D

I dunno. They air Arrested Development which isn't exactly conservative.

I think Murdoch likes to cover every demographic and his only allegience is to the mighty dollar.

I dunno. They air Arrested Development which isn't exactly conservative.

I think Murdoch likes to cover every demographic and his only allegience is to the mighty dollar.

I meant Fox News, but then again the right-wing agenda is probably just in deference to making as much money as possible in any case.

But EVERY channel has a right wing (advertisers) bias. - totally agree

Which channel organised, promoted and encouraged G20 or anti-war protesters? - I thought G20 was government organized?? are you talking about anti war protests in this country?? if so, no one. but the bbc promoted the hell out of them!

Even NPR has banned the use of the word 'torture' in preference to "enhanced interrogation" - there you go then, propaganda in action. led by a government that 'never' lies to it's citizens.

I'm confused as to what your point is then. Initially you seemed to be saying, it's ok that fox are right wing because other channels are left wing. If you agree they're all right wing, then you surely agree that the entire political discourse in the US only inhabits a conservative agenda.

The G20 is government organised...but the G20 protests are anti-globalisation. They were widely reported....mostly as violent lunatics. People were taking guns to those Town Halls and were praised for exercising their democratic right (though they were commiting a crime), while unarmed G20 protesters get beaten/murdered by police and are portrayed as the instigators....by ALL stations.

On your last point...it seems we agree, there is no balance in TV news.