Capital of culture

Matty

Everton star raided at knifepoint

Everton defender Phil Jagielka was threatened with a knife by thieves who broke into his Cheshire home.

The 27-year-old was watching his team play Hull City on television in the Carling Cup when three men stormed into the house in Knutsford.

He was forced to hand over jewellery and the keys to his Range Rover car after being threatened with a knife.

Cheshire Police said: "Nobody was hurt during the incident and the car was found abandoned a short distance away."

The Everton player's two young children are understood to have been at home at the time of the raid although his wife was out.

A spokesman for the club told BBC News: "Phil was shaken by the incident.

"This is perfectly understandable because he is a husband and father first and a footballer second.

"Phil is helping police with their inquiries."

A police spokesman added: "The homeowner was threatened with a knife and forced to hand over jewellery and the keys to his Range Rover car."

Jagielka is the 11th Merseyside footballer to be confronted by thieves while at home. In May, burglars broke into the Woolton home of his Everton teammate Steven Piennar. Other victims have included Liverpool players Steven Gerrard and Lucas Leiva.

I wonder what his odds were? Who's next on the list then?

Edited by Matty

This happened to Vince Grella just the other week (down in London, I believe).

Fuck me, what a state of affairs.

Yeah, I agree they can hire security, but they shouldn't have to.

Agree that they shouldn't have to. But there's plenty wrong with the World. If they weren't getting paid so much then they wouldn't be living such extravagant lives and wouldn't be such a lucrative target for thieves. For the sake of one less Bentley in the garage they could hire security guards or at the very least vastly improve the secuirty of their properties.

Edited by OzToonFan

I wonder whether they're specifically targetted or it's because they live in rich ghettoes which are themselves a target? Not that it justifies being robbed one iota, but I agree with OTF they'd be less of a target if they didn't flaunt their wealth. I bet Jagielka had a humvee sat on his front drive, or some equally flash car.

makes you wonder if its some kind of scam, some crime boss getting kids to do the jobs then come in down the line with a 'personal security' firm which is legit but ran by these fellas too

I bet Jagielka had a humvee sat on his front drive, or some equally flash car.

A police spokesman added: "The homeowner was threatened with a knife and forced to hand over jewellery and the keys to his Range Rover car."

:lol:

Depends on the range rover, innit :spit: