North-south Comedy divide.

Monkeys Fist

He generally does daft things but he did do a great program in America in which he drove across the entire country without going to a single chain store or corporate business.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Dave Gorman last week, he was excellent !

I think you need to be a certain type of person to find Dave Gorman funny. When he does these adventures following him round with a camera, it always strikes me what a boring cunt he is. I feel exactly the same about Harry Hill and Jack Dee, I just think pipe down you mug.

Ross Noble is a poor representative of Newcastle, I don't find him particularly endearing or amusing. I know he's classed as an actor, but most of the gags in Blackadder were done through his genius, I think Rowan Atkinson is one of the funniest blokes to come out of Newcastle, even if he did go to RGS.

My favourite Northern comedian is Peter Kay, his humour appeals to old and young, he doesn't swear, keeps it clean, and can still be honest and genuinely funny. My favourite Southern comedian is probably Terry Alderton.

Saw Dave Gorman last week, he was excellent !

I think you need to be a certain type of person to find Dave Gorman funny. When he does these adventures following him round with a camera, it always strikes me what a boring cunt he is. I feel exactly the same about Harry Hill and Jack Dee, I just think pipe down you mug.

Ross Noble is a poor representative of Newcastle, I don't find him particularly endearing or amusing. I know he's classed as an actor, but most of the gags in Blackadder were done through his genius, I think Rowan Atkinson is one of the funniest blokes to come out of Newcastle, even if he did go to RGS.

My favourite Northern comedian is Peter Kay, his humour appeals to old and young, he doesn't swear, keeps it clean, and can still be honest and genuinely funny. My favourite Southern comedian is probably Terry Alderton.

I don't know like. A bit of blue for Dads now and again :o

Is Dave Gorman the zany, wacky prick that that Lou bird was always on about? OMG create your own cult!!!11

No, that's Danny Wallace. (Dave Gorman's erstwhile flatmate)

They're very similar though, both do "dares" which take a while to complete and put them in odd situations and what not. If you don't like that kind of thing, you won't like them. Some of their anecdotes are very very funny, but I can see why people find their almost enforced wackery a little grating.

Is Dave Gorman the zany, wacky prick that that Lou bird was always on about? OMG create your own cult!!!11

No, that's Danny Wallace. (Dave Gorman's erstwhile flatmate)

They're very similar though, both do "dares" which take a while to complete and put them in odd situations and what not. If you don't like that kind of thing, you won't like them. Some of their anecdotes are very very funny, but I can see why people find their almost enforced wackery a little grating.

Danny Wallace is even less funny than Dave Gorman if that helps.

Edited by alex

I think Peter Kay absolutely nailed the comedy that accompanied the nostalgia-wave we saw in fashion, music etc. The trouble is that most of his material is lifted directly from other comedians on the circuit. A lot of smaller acts found they could no longer use their stuff because he'd done it to a massive audience.

I think Peter Kay absolutely nailed the comedy that accompanied the nostalgia-wave we saw in fashion, music etc. The trouble is that most of his material is lifted directly from other comedians on the circuit. A lot of smaller acts found they could no longer use their stuff because he'd done it to a massive audience.

Meant to be basically Dave Spikey's act isn't it? Still funny like.

I can't put my finger on what it is, but I don't like that bloke. You can be funny with humility and he aint got it.

He delivers it well, I'm just a snob when it comes to him. The disproportionate praise he got for what was, in effect, other peoples work really rankled me.

I can't put my finger on what it is, but I don't like that bloke. You can be funny with humility and he aint got it.

I'd agree with that, he's got a smugness to his style that doesn't really get you to warm to him. And when his shtick is all about "do you remember when" nostalgia stuff, you really need for there to be a connection between the act and the audience, in a way that's not neccesary for Deadpan stuff. You don't have to want to go for a pint with Steven Wright to think he's fucking hilarious.

He delivers it well, I'm just a snob when it comes to him. The disproportionate praise he got for what was, in effect, other peoples work really rankled me.

Thing is with Peter Kay is that he's only got one stand-up act as far as I can tell. Seen him live and a few different performances on the telly and it was almost word-for-word at times. I think That Peter Kay Thing and Phoenix Nights were brilliant though (as was his stand-up the first few times you saw it). Max and Paddy though....

I always thought 8 Out Of 10 Cats showed Dave Spikey up to be a bit of a comedy charlatan. All he ever did was answer questions with "Is it [something obviously wrong]?" so that he could deliver a bit of his stand-up routine about that subject.

Well yes, but what's that in MPDG?

I found it funny, mainly because it was new. I'm glad he's stepped away from that now though, it would very quickly become schlock.

Thing is with Peter Kay is that he's only got one stand-up act as far as I can tell. Seen him live and a few different performances on the telly and it was almost word-for-word at times. I think That Peter Kay Thing and Phoenix Nights were brilliant though (as was his stand-up the first few times you saw it). Max and Paddy though....

"Have you done a pump?"

:o

Well yes, but what's that in MPDG?

I found it funny, mainly because it was new. I'm glad he's stepped away from that now though, it would very quickly become schlock.

I think he makers a better writer than stand-up.

He filled in for Frank Skinner on the radio for 3 weeks a few months back and he was utter shite.

Thought Rowan Atkinson came from Consett? :o He is good though, loved his stuff on Not The Nine O'Clock News.

He did indeed. Allensford to be exact. His parents owned the farm which later became the Royal Derwent Hotel - now the Derwent Manor.

Billy is and always will be no 1 for me, followed by Dylan, I like his style. I watched Alan Carr the other night and surprisingly really enjoyed it :o I was prepared to turn over!

I have an old DVd of Alan Davies too and he was class!

Thought Rowan Atkinson came from Consett? :razz: He is good though, loved his stuff on Not The Nine O'Clock News.

He did indeed. Allensford to be exact. His parents owned the farm which later became the Royal Derwent Hotel - now the Derwent Manor.

Nice knowledge Craig :o Not just that his parents owned the place, but bringing us right up to date through two name changes.

Thought Rowan Atkinson came from Consett? :razz: He is good though, loved his stuff on Not The Nine O'Clock News.

Nice knowledge Craig :o Not just that his parents owned the place, but bringing us right up to date through two name changes.

I thank you! Need to find something useful to do :razz:

Rowan atkinson was actually born in the Princess Mary Maternity Hospital in Gosforth and he used this in the thin Blue line to create the name Gasforth the fictional town in which his station was set.

Like eddie izzard on a panel, think some of his standup is utter shite though. Depends on if he's delivering to a US or UK audience, some of that comedy does not travel well.

Dave Gorman's Googlewhack was hilarious and original.