Blackpool vs Newcastle United

Tom

I have to question Hughton a bit on this Blackpool one.

(1) I'm an old-timer who goes along with the adage "Never change a winning team" so why did he drop the 'Lone Ranger' and put in someone coming off an injury??

(2) Granted one change had to be made because of Smith's suspension.

(3) But why Butt as a replacement rather than Lua-Lua or someone else with legs, energy, and pace??

(4) Is he reluctant or afraid to blood young lads?? preferring to go with very experienced old cart horses who should may belong in the knacker's yard.

(5) And why does he persist in playing a lone striker who has no one to play-off to or play on-to when there is no creative midfield to provide service??

You have some good points there. In the first couple games he wasn't afraid to play the youngsters but it seems now maybe us winning a few has put pressure on him. I did feel for Ranger last night, was a bit unfair on him.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(1) I'm an old-timer who goes along with the adage "Never change a winning team" so why did he drop the 'Lone Ranger' and put in someone coming off an injury??

Ranger looked fucked towards the end against Cardiff. I can only assume he didn't want to burn him out.

(3) But why Butt as a replacement rather than Lua-Lua or someone else with legs, energy, and pace??

Agree with that.

(4) Is he reluctant or afraid to blood young lads?? preferring to go with very experienced old cart horses who should may belong in the knacker's yard.

Nee idea.

(5) And why does he persist in playing a lone striker who has no one to play-off to or play on-to when there is no creative midfield to provide service??

Because until very recently he's had to. Assuming Lovenkrands isn't fully match fit then Ranger was effectively our only striker.

goes to show how much the squad needs extra numbers. the warning signs were there on sunday against cardiff

It wasn't the numbers that lost it tonight, it was a poor midfield. Butt and Barton have the quality to dominate a midfield - they just failed to do it tonight.

kind of supports my point doesn't it. we need better quality and depth of squad than those two. likewise up front. ranger, carrol, lovenkrands, ameobi - not really good enough if shola gets injured is it

Good, so hopefully the chances that the criminals in charge don't think they might get away with murder and just sit it out to try to sell the club at a higher price in the future.

I also share the sentiments that you reap what you sow by fielding a midfield of cloggers like Butt, Nolan, Barton devoid of any attacking flair. It also shows that Hughton isn't that managerial genius that he suddenly has become for many.

You have some good points there. In the first couple games he wasn't afraid to play the youngsters but it seems now maybe us winning a few has put pressure on him. I did feel for Ranger last night, was a bit unfair on him.

All good points, the two highlighted are the ones I find most baffling?

If Carroll and Ranger are both fit, Get them on together from the start ffs!

As has been amply argued elsewhere on here- Thanks Nicholas, but :D

Bit of a wake up call hopefully.

I dont see why we needed a wake up call tbh. It's not like we were being delusional. I'd agree that the wins were papering over the cracks, but we were bound to lose at some point.

We've managed to muddle through the last couple of games whist missing key players, but I think Smith was perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back. We were missing to many of our key players, and some of our others failed to perform.

THe 5Live commentators seemed to think that Barton was playing some neat stuff, but there was no-one getting on the end of it? I'd be interested to hear what someone at the match thought of that.

Nolan was quiet as was Guthrie I think - both key players for us.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not the end of the world. We lost to a side who battled harder and were on us from the word go. I'd say it was a game we should have won, but they are a strong side at home as their record shows.

Smith is back next game and the balance to midfield should be restored a little.

Good, so hopefully the chances that the criminals in charge don't think they might get away with murder and just sit it out to try to sell the club at a higher price in the future.

I also share the sentiments that you reap what you sow by fielding a midfield of cloggers like Butt, Nolan, Barton devoid of any attacking flair. It also shows that Hughton isn't that managerial genius that he suddenly has become for many.

Agree with the 2nd paragraph but I get the feeling Ashley and co don't learn from their mistakes.

Agree with the 2nd paragraph but I get the feeling Ashley and co don't learn from their mistakes.

Do you have any proof to back up this extremely contentious assertion?

Not really, it's just a hunch.

Not really, it's just a hunch.

Pah!

Its ill thought statements like yours that give our supporters a bad name. Where's Accadacaspacacaa when you need him?

:D

I dont see why we needed a wake up call tbh. It's not like we were being delusional. I'd agree that the wins were papering over the cracks, but we were bound to lose at some point.

We've managed to muddle through the last couple of games whist missing key players, but I think Smith was perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back. We were missing to many of our key players, and some of our others failed to perform.

THe 5Live commentators seemed to think that Barton was playing some neat stuff, but there was no-one getting on the end of it? I'd be interested to hear what someone at the match thought of that.

Nolan was quiet as was Guthrie I think - both key players for us.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not the end of the world. We lost to a side who battled harder and were on us from the word go. I'd say it was a game we should have won, but they are a strong side at home as their record shows.

Smith is back next game and the balance to midfield should be restored a little.

I mean the result will hopefully trigger a wake up call now. Hopefully more to the owner

Thing is though, we've missed the boat on permanent deals and, while the ambiguous rules around 'emergency loan signings' will allow us to get more bodies in we've probably also missed the boat on some of the better young players who PL sides might have allowed us to get on season and half-season loan deals.

we don't really have a big enough (or good enough) squad to rest and rotate players do we? the best 11 has to play every week, often twice a week. the fixtures come thick and fast in this division

Sounded to me like, if anything, Blackpool were holding on (difficult to tell from just the radio obviously) but perhaps it was a case of switching to 4-4-2 far too late and not asking enough questions of their defence rather than fatigue on our part.

Not true. Barton effectively left Butt to get in all the decent tackles and Barton lost his rag at one point, lashing out at one of the Blackpool players.

Coming forward, Barton had two shots - one which was decent and one which was shite. These are the games that he should be dominating the midfield, instead he failed to compete.

Ironically, Barton's best spell was in the last 15 minutes - but by then our approach was long ball, so good midfield play wasn't needed.

Just seen the goals. I think Harper could have done better with their first, he should have pushed the initial shot out wide instead of back to the Blackpool player.

He made about seven saves before that goal.

But if you'd've bothered to go to the game, you would've known that.

Just goes to show that you look like a clown when you make sweeping statements about a game you didn't see.

Just seen the goals. I think Harper could have done better with their first, he should have pushed the initial shot out wide instead of back to the Blackpool player.

He made about seven saves before that goal.

But if you'd've bothered to go to the game, you would've known that.

Just goes to show that you look like a clown when you make sweeping statements about a game you didn't see.

:D

What a twat.