Hmmmm

snakehips

I was thinking (I do that, now and again) about today's result. Does that mean we are more of a prospect for purchase (due to yet another example of us being real promotion candidates) or, for the same reason, more reason for LardAsh to be more bullish about holding on to us ?

You can never guess what is going on in that fat fuckers head, so i find it hard to judge exactly what anything will mean!

For example say we're stuck with him and he's here come January and we're flying, will he think time to strip more assets for cash and risk blowing promotion, leaving him with a championship club, or will he think, small investement here in players (or at least no sales) push for promotion and once back in the prem he can sell us for a shitload more...or even stay (god i hope not) and get back to raking in the tv/sponsorship cash etc.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I was thinking (I do that, now and again) about today's result. Does that mean we are more of a prospect for purchase (due to yet another example of us being real promotion candidates) or, for the same reason, more reason for LardAsh to be more bullish about holding on to us ?

I was doing that as well today.

If it wasnt for the serious fraud squad, I would say it would be nailed on he would want to hang on. Now I bet he is under quite a lot of pressure, internal and external to sell us and concentrate on his empire. (Stop pissing around with a rich mans toy).

Our start will not have gone un noticed and who knows who's sniffing around be it americans or Geordies, but my instinct is that the sale will go through soon. My main area of uncertainty is around Shearer.

Dont really want him coming in and fucking it up.

I don't think Shearer would fuck it up myself, the only question would be if it caused much disruption and if there was an issue with him and more than just Barton. As it is i doubt there would be with any other players, they all seemed behind the decision for him to be appointed which ashley ignored and even where Barton is concerned i think Shearer would look at the fact he can't sell him now and probably give him one more chance.

But if Shearer did come in you'd want Hughton and Calderwood retained and having a big hand in helping Shearer as boss, after all he's still a novice and they have steadied the ship admirably now, so we'd want some continuity.

If it wasnt for the serious fraud squad, I would say it would be nailed on he would want to hang on. Now I bet he is under quite a lot of pressure, internal and external to sell us and concentrate on his empire. (Stop pissing around with a rich mans toy).

Our start will not have gone un noticed and who knows who's sniffing around be it americans or Geordies, but my instinct is that the sale will go through soon. My main area of uncertainty is around Shearer.

I don't think Shearer would fuck it up myself, the only question would be if it caused much disruption and if there was an issue with him and more than just Barton. As it is i doubt there would be with any other players, they all seemed behind the decision for him to be appointed which ashley ignored and even where Barton is concerned i think Shearer would look at the fact he can't sell him now and probably give him one more chance.

But if Shearer did come in you'd want Hughton and Calderwood retained and having a big hand in helping Shearer as boss, after all he's still a novice and they have steadied the ship admirably now, so we'd want some continuity.

Think its already in the public domain that Shearer wanted rid of Smith , Nolan and Barton as part of his plan. What does that tell you.

Probably that he wants some pace, movement and creativity in his midfield which we had none of in the prem, and with Barton the reason he wanted rid was obvious and correct. As it happens in the championship Smith and Nolan have been impressive, Barton as yet hasn't done much but probably isn't fit, but nobody would have argued if Shearer had wanted to shift all 3, and thats if, i haven't heard the man himself categorically name all 3 of them.

Think its already in the public domain that Shearer wanted rid of Smith , Nolan and Barton as part of his plan. What does that tell you.

That Shearer knows his shit. :)

I think last season, most of us would have wanted rid of Smith and Nolan as they were complete gash. Shearer would have noticed how well Smith's been performing this season though so I think anything he said last season becomes null and void.

It tells you he was intent on replacing them with players of better quality. As good as Smith, Nolan, and Barton have done this season, its not like theyre irreplaceable

No but with the exception of Barton it probably wouldn't have been a very good idea. With Ashley at the helm he probably would have sold the players and then not been able to get any replacements in, let alone better replacements.

Then where would we be??

You'd need to know who he had lined up to replace them and who it would have allowed us to keep over the summer as well. Otherwise it doesn't tell you very much.