Smith not shaving till we lose

Guest Stevie

THE early-season Championship table makes very pleasant reading for Newcastle United supporters – but they will also be able to monitor the club’s progress by the state of Alan Smith’s facial hair.

The 28-year-old is promising not to shave until the Magpies’ unbeaten start to the season comes to an end.

Newcastle’s squad is set to be reinforced by the arrival of Leon Cort on loan, but Smith’s beard stands as testament to the commitment of the small band of players currently at the club.

Newcastle have shrugged off the behind-the-scenes turmoil to open the season with a draw and five straight wins, sending them top of the Championship ahead of Sunday’s televised trip to Cardiff City.

“It started off as a bit of a joke but then a few of the lads told me to keep it going until we get beaten so I hope it’s still there at Christmas,” he said.

“Mind you, I’ve had a bit of a reprieve. I’m going to trim it because it is starting to get a bit itchy now. I need to sort it out.

“We’ve made a good start but this is a long, long season. There are still 41 (league) games left and we have to play every one of them as we have the opening five.”

It is not just Smith’s appearance which has been transformed since Newcastle’s relegation.

The former Leeds United and Manchester United player made little impact in his first two seasons at St James’s Park, struggling to find a consistent position and by the end of last term, a place in the side.

But like many of his team-mates, dropping into the Championship seems to have brought a new confidence to Smith, who has revelled in the responsibility of deputising for Nicky Butt as both holding midfielder and captain.

“I’m not too bothered about my personal form,” he insisted in an interview with the club’s official website.

“I know I can play football and I know injuries over the past two or three seasons have stopped me progressing as a player.

“But this season, I think will be perfect for me because there are a lot of games to be played. Hopefully this season I can play more games than in the last two or three put together. That’s all I want. It’s nice to get personal praise but I know if I am not playing well or an inspiration to the team, there are others who are natural leaders in our dressing room now which we have not had since I have been at this football club. There’s myself, Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton, Nicky Butt, Steve Harper and younger lads – Steven Taylor’s got experience in the Premier League.

“When you do relegated everyone is disappointed, your pride is hurt.

“The players who said they wanted to stay did it because they want to prove they are good enough to get back in the Premier League. Only time will tell if we can. Squad togetherness is important. I think that’s the biggest impact on people who come and watch us play. When I speak to people, that is what they have said, so that means a lot to us because we are honest lads who want to stay, do well and get this club back in the Premier League.

“I think in that first game at West Brom, everyone was just expecting us to just roll over and feel sorry for ourselves.”

Cort – younger brother of former United striker Carl – is expected to become only the third addition to the Magpies squad since relegation when he joins on loan from Stoke City. The 6ft 3in centre-half will join Danny Simpson and free transfer Peter Løvenkrands. His only appearance this season came in the League Cup.

:) Are you sure it wasn't Lee Ryder who wrote this, incredible journalism.

Anyway, I think we should all do our own message board thing till we lose. Mine will be I will refrain from saying cunt till we lose, Fop's should maybe be don't post till we lose, anyone else up for doing something...

At the beginning of the summer I stopped shaving, said I wasn't going to until the club was sold... I got fed up though with it hanging over my top lip so the beard went - I couldn't be doing with looking like a 4th member of ZZ Top :)

I like hearing about these daft bets and challenges. It shows the spirit in the dressing room is defiant and positive. Credit to Hughton obviously. But there must lads in there who've lightened the mood. No doubt Smith is well liked, I reckon Nolan and Harper would be popular too... Can't imagine Barton being top of any ones Xmas list though

I like hearing about these daft bets and challenges. It shows the spirit in the dressing room is defiant and positive. Credit to Hughton obviously. But there must lads in there who've lightened the mood. No doubt Smith is well liked, I reckon Nolan and Harper would be popular too... Can't imagine Barton being top of any ones Xmas list though

Aye, indeed.

I hope Smithy looks like could join ZZ Top by the end of the season :)

I like Stevie's idea too.

I heard Radgi is doing the same as Smithy. Apparently it's getting like the forest surrounding Sleeping Beauty's castle, around her honey pot.

I thought she started that in 1990 till we win a major trophy.

Aye, indeed.

I do. Can't think of owt to give up though.

Wouldn't have happened on Owen's watch.

http://watches.infoniac.com/index.php?page...ew&id=19121

?

Aye, indeed.

Dishonesty?

?

Only tells the right time twice a day ?

Aye, indeed.

I hope Smithy looks like could join ZZ Top by the end of the season :(

Dishonesty?

You fancy giving up hypocrisy and avoidance?

thought not :)

?

Only tells the right time twice a day ?

Comes with a lurverly brochure though.