Man U star's £400 caravan holiday

Craig

A caravan park on the north Wales coast is not the most obvious holiday destination for a highly-paid Manchester United superstar.

But holidaymakers at Presthaven Sands in Prestatyn found themselves alongside Rio Ferdinand on a £400 family break.

The England defender joined his fiancee and two sons in a caravan, enjoying the go-karts and other attractions.

Ferdinand seems to have joined the trend for "staycation" holidays during the credit crunch, for a day at least.

The player, who cost Man United about £30m when he moved from Leeds in 2002, posed for pictures and signed autographs.

Haven Holidays said it had no idea Ferdinand was coming until he arrived.

"He really seemed to enjoy himself," said a company spokeswoman.

"He was happy to sign autographs and have his picture taken as he mingled affably with other holidaymakers".

"We were delighted that he and his family chose to come and enjoy themselves at Presthaven.

"Some of the other children that were holidaying at the park went absolutely wild when they saw Rio and he spent more than an hour mixing with the crowd."

The paparazzi were nowhere to be seen, but fellow holidaymakers were quick to snap the star enjoying himself on the go-karts.

Ferdinand arrived at Presthaven Sands at the end of his August while his fiancee Rebecca Ellison and their two sons, aged three and one, were spending a weekend in one of the site's top-of-the-range caravans, costing about £400.

The Presthaven website describes the caravans: "There's clever storage, high levels of comfort and all the essentials that you need for a great holiday, our good value standard range has everything you need, whilst at the top of the range, platinum offer the ultimate in quality and style for that special 'wow' factor offering you the best of everything."

While footballers' holidays are more typically associated with Dubai and the south of France, Ferdinand is known for sometimes breaking the stereotype.

He once told the BBC that he travelled around Russia on his own because he was curious about the country.

Ferdinand was not the only celebrity to spend a holiday in north Wales this summer.

Comedian Les Dennis enjoyed a break at Haven's Hafan y Mor site - the former Butlin's holiday camp at Pwllheli - where he spent many of his childhood holidays and won a talent competition at the age of 14.

The Haven spokeswoman said Dennis had enjoyed watching a talent contest.

_46347605_riokart.jpg

_46347606_havencaravan.jpg

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8246377.stm

Looks better that any of the caravans I stayed in. :)

Aye, thats the "brochure caravan" that comes with a big, big, upgrade fee. :(

Bit more realistic.

big076.jpg

Okay, somewhere in-between the two.

Keeping it real?!

You should see where he went on his last holiday...£5m it cost.

http://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/blogs/weddin...rivate-jet.aspx

Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand has spared no expense on his impending nuptials with fiancee Rebecca Ellison.

The 30-year-old and his bride-to-be, 29, have revealed that their wedding venue will be at a luxury Caribbean getaway when they tie the knot next weekend.

And, acknowledging that their 100 or so guests may not have the money to jet off to a tropical island at the drop of a hat, Rio has decided to fly them there in a luxury private jet.

According to a source close to the couple, guests' wedding invitations were made to look like passports and at first they were not told where they are going to be whisked away to.

"Rio has picked the most luxurious and romantic venue imaginable and no expense is being spared," he told the Mirror.

Fellow footballer Joe Cole tied the knot with his partner Carly Zucker on Saturday. They are reported to have sold the photo rights to a glossy magazine, with the intention of giving the £2 million fee to charity.

can't imagine many things worse than a caravan holiday.

The static ones can be alright, depending on location, obviously.

I've had loads of good holidays in touring caravans when I was a kid. For years we used to spend 3 weeks in France over the summer.

Last year I took Mrs Paws and 9mth old Master Paws for 2 wks in Wales (was skint and that was all we could do). Pissed down for the whole fortnight and was an absolute nightmare with Master Paws & the caravan.

Never again.

We all went to Centre Parcs in May this year and it was great. I'd probably consider doing a holiday in a static if there was plenty around to do for Master Paws.

"plenty to fo for 9 month master paws".

Aye, they want a full entertainment program at 9 months!!!

If he was nine months old last year, he won't be when he takes him on a holiday in the future, will he? Don't think about that one too hard though, will you?

And aye Paws, I'm sure you did have good hols in touring caravans but I couldn't be chewed with trailing one round personally.

"plenty to fo for 9 month master paws".

Aye, they want a full entertainment program at 9 months!!!

If he was nine months old last year, he won't be when he takes him on a holiday in the future, will he? Don't think about that one too hard though, will you?

And aye Paws, I'm sure you did have good hols in touring caravans but I couldn't be chewed with trailing one round personally.

Aye, my Dad towed it to the site for us as I dont have a towbar. I know what you mean though. The journeys to the south of france were a ballache like. Used to take us the best part of 2 days to get there.

I think I'm all caravan'd out now.