Musicians hit out at piracy plans

Fop

Record companies are finished.

They'll take anyone they can down with them though. :lol:

Ever try to save someone from drowning? :D

Writing has been on the wall since the late 90's. You're only as powerful as how much money you can generate and as we all know, sales keep going down, down, down.

It's a shite business model and has been for a long time. Up until they dropped the CD prices over here in around 2003 or so, if you bought a disc in an actual music store (as opposed to Wal-Mart, for example), you'd pay around 15-20 bucks for a new CD.

Many DVDs were selling for around the same price.

Whether or not anyone wants to admit it, high prices were a huge part of the proliferation of piracy. If CDs had stayed relatively cheap, I doubt a lot of people would've gone to the trouble of figuring out Napster or Limewire or BitTorrent or whatever and ripping everything off.

Record companies are finished.

They'll take anyone they can down with them though. :lol:

Ever try to save someone from drowning? :D

Writing has been on the wall since the late 90's. You're only as powerful as how much money you can generate and as we all know, sales keep going down, down, down.

It's a shite business model and has been for a long time. Up until they dropped the CD prices over here in around 2003 or so, if you bought a disc in an actual music store (as opposed to Wal-Mart, for example), you'd pay around 15-20 bucks for a new CD.

Many DVDs were selling for around the same price.

Whether or not anyone wants to admit it, high prices were a huge part of the proliferation of piracy. If CDs had stayed relatively cheap, I doubt a lot of people would've gone to the trouble of figuring out Napster or Limewire or BitTorrent or whatever and ripping everything off.

The irony with both CDs and DvDs is that selling them very cheaply not only tore the testicles off the criminal piracy market (not so much the consumer sharing piracy issue, but that too), but also gave the companies the best profits they'd seen ever (in the case of DvDs) and in years (in the case of CDs and cheap MP3 downloads).

But they've not learnt their lesson, as can be seen with the pricing of HD DvDs, yes they are bound to be more expensive than normal DvD as a premium will be added, but making them as expensive as they were (£30 in some cases in the UK) killed the sales market as few people are daft enough to pay that much when the are used to DvDs at £3-£10.

Where as the £3-£5 film DvD market was (and still is) an absolute gold mine for them.

Where as the £3-£5 film DvD market was (and still is) an absolute gold mine for them.

The Free Market finds a price...then corporations, lobbyists & government artificially inflate it so others can't improve on their cost model.

Capitalism rules Cartels rule!

The Free Market finds a price...then corporations, lobbyists & government artificially inflate it so others can't improve on their cost model.

Price fixing eh? Have you turned your back on Bill? :D

Still cannot understand how it can be "illegal" to buy commercially sold CD's for ~£3 in the far east, ship them and sell them for £4.50 in the UK though. It's like say "well if coal costs £10 a ton to mine in the UK then that is what will be charged, even if it's actually costs £1 a ton to mine it and ship it from the Ukraine" and then making a law to support it. :lol:

Still cannot understand how it can be "illegal" to buy commercially sold CD's for ~£3 in the far east, ship them and sell them for £4.50 in the UK though. It's like say "well if coal costs £10 a ton to mine in the UK then that is what will be charged, even if it's actually costs £1 a ton to mine it and ship it from the Ukraine" and then making a law to support it. :lol:

Just finished Globalization and it's Discontents the other week (Cheers for the recommendation Chez) where Stiglitz highlights the outrageous contradiction in the US where they use "anti-dumping rights" to do exactly that.

An example of that is the aluminium controversy where Paul O'Neill, CEO of Alcoa, the world's number one producer of aluminum, got the US to create a world cartel of aluminium by accusing Russia of dumping. This cartel lowered production to get higher prices from 1994 to 1998.

http://everything2.com/title/Globalization...its+Discontents

• 3 months later...

Just a few interesting articles I've read....

Singles sales soar to record high

cinema takings beat DVD and Blu-ray sales

File Sharing made Wolverine a hit

It's amazing how the industry can keep arguing that black is white in terms of piracy killing them off.

And then France go and do this....

New internet piracy law comes into effect in France

*sigh*

Guest Stevie

I suppose this is the right thread for this, just got a new Ipod nano, and lost all me songs off the pc, does anyone know a decent music download thing like limewire with no viruses presently.

It's amazing how the industry can keep arguing that black is white in terms of piracy killing them off.

Bono has taken some stick for an article he wrote in the NY times suggesting ISPs should be pressured.

The daft thing is imo U2 have gone down a route I support - making their money off touring - when he bleats on about piracy costing him money even I as a huge fan think he's being an arse.

I suppose this is the right thread for this, just got a new Ipod nano, and lost all me songs off the pc, does anyone know a decent music download thing like limewire with no viruses presently.

A bit techy but newsgroups is what I use now.

Still cannot understand how it can be "illegal" to buy commercially sold CD's for ~£3 in the far east, ship them and sell them for £4.50 in the UK though. It's like say "well if coal costs £10 a ton to mine in the UK then that is what will be charged, even if it's actually costs £1 a ton to mine it and ship it from the Ukraine" and then making a law to support it. :icon_lol:

Just finished Globalization and it's Discontents the other week (Cheers for the recommendation Chez) where Stiglitz highlights the outrageous contradiction in the US where they use "anti-dumping rights" to do exactly that.

An example of that is the aluminium controversy where Paul O'Neill, CEO of Alcoa, the world's number one producer of aluminum, got the US to create a world cartel of aluminium by accusing Russia of dumping. This cartel lowered production to get higher prices from 1994 to 1998.

you should also try The Collapse of Globalism by John Ralston Saul

Don't go anywhere near Limewire.

Download Bit Torrent , then use a site like IsoHunt.

... So a 'friend' tells me.

Guest Stevie

Don't go anywhere near Limewire.

Download Bit Torrent , then use a site like IsoHunt.

... So a 'friend' tells me.

No viruses?

http://www.utorrent.com/ - client

http://thepiratebay.org/ - get your stuff

there is nothing illiegal about torrents, well, not all torrents

no viruses stevie you're looking for the files with the highest "seed" number as that means you're getting a better download speed more of the time , you're getting bits of the file from different people who also have the file

Still cannot understand how it can be "illegal" to buy commercially sold CD's for ~£3 in the far east, ship them and sell them for £4.50 in the UK though. It's like say "well if coal costs £10 a ton to mine in the UK then that is what will be charged, even if it's actually costs £1 a ton to mine it and ship it from the Ukraine" and then making a law to support it. :icon_lol:

Added to wishlist. Cheers.

Added to wishlist. Cheers.

I dont think it will beat Stiglitz's account or perspective. How could it?

Its interesting the law change in France because here, the artist is held in the highest regard. This is a country who have Philosophers on the cover of their celebrity magazines, they immortalise and glorify artistic merit above all else.

Back to the busines model, have a think about this.

For hundreds of years people bought apples from apple sellers. Then one day, an apple tree grew in someone's garden and everyone realises that if they wanted, they could enter the garden and take the apples for free. Since they all live nearby and pass the garden everday, its not any hassle to nip in and take one.

If everybody lived next to the apple tree (no cost) and the apple tree produced as much apples as everyone needed (no scarcity), should they have the right to enter the garden and take the appples from the apple grower just because he can? Or should the apple grower have the right to sell his apples?