Musicians hit out at piracy plans

Fop

Musicians hit out at piracy plans

By Ian Youngs

Music reporter, BBC News

_45761796_eye.jpg

Media regulator Ofcom could be given powers to punish file-sharers

An alliance of music stars, songwriters and record producers has spoken out against UK government proposals to kick file-sharers off the internet.

Persistent file-sharers could have their internet accounts suspended in an attempt to crack down on piracy.

But Radiohead guitarist Ed O'Brien, a member of the Featured Artists' Coalition (FAC), said: "It's going to start a war which they'll never win."

The FAC said "heavy-handed" tactics may turn fans away from music for good.

The FAC, a pressure group formed to represent performers, has joined forces with the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors and the Music Producers Guild.

In a joint statement, the three bodies of music-makers said they "vehemently oppose" the plans to punish file-sharers.

That is in contrast to major record labels and many other commercial arms of the music industry, who have welcomed the suggestions.

_46351232_blurget.jpg

We don't want to make enemies of our fans

Dave Rowntree (right)

Blur

Blur drummer Dave Rowntree said the FAC was against file-sharing, but that previous attempts at legal action had turned fans against the music industry and the artists themselves.

"We don't want to make enemies of our fans," he told BBC News. "The sensible thing to do is to try to see how we can monetise all this file-sharing activity, which is evidence of a lot of interest in music."

It would be very difficult to find out who was swapping files and whether those files contained copyrighted recordings, he warned.

Singer and fellow FAC board member Billy Bragg described the measures as a "very heavy sledgehammer".

"We're concerned that, in an age where there is much greater competition for attention, these proposals are in danger of driving young people away from the idea of listening to music," he said.

"As musicians, we're worried about that."

Many young fans had discovered his music through file-sharing, Bragg said, and paid for his music in other ways, such as buying gig tickets.

"We should be encouraging people to become music fans, and whether we like it or not, illicit downloading does encourage people to become music fans."

There are more positive ways of dealing with this without totally upsetting your consumers

Patrick Rackow

British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors

Speaking of the proposal to cut off pirates, Ed O'Brien predicted: "It won't work. It's as simple as that.

"I was talking to a serial file-sharer the other day who is a friend. He downloads films and he hasn't paid for music for six years.

"I asked his opinion of it and he laughed. He said, 'even if they cut me off I'll still be able to do it'. It's something you do not want to take on, so move on."

Patrick Rackow, chief executive of the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors, said sanctions would upset fans rather than driving them towards legal services.

"The industry has to look forwards, not backwards," he said. "There is a huge problem here and we've got to find a solution to it. I don't know what this solution is, I don't think anyone does.

"There are more positive ways of dealing with this without totally upsetting your consumers."

He suggested that in the future, legal music download services could be based on radio. In that scenario, fans would not pay for every song but may pay a subscription or hear adverts, as with existing services such as Spotify or We7.

'Widespread concerns'

In its Digital Britain report, originally published in June, the government set a target to reduce file-sharing by 70% in the first year.

That report gave media regulator Ofcom until 2012 to consider whether "technical measures" - such as reducing broadband speeds or blocking access to download sites - were necessary.

However, according to a statement from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) released last month, that time-frame is now considered "too long to wait".

Stephen Timms, minister for Digital Britain, said in August: "We've been listening carefully to responses to the consultation this far, and it's become clear there are widespread concerns that the plans as they stand could delay action, impacting unfairly upon rights holders."

UK Music, an umbrella body representing the British music industry, said it was "pleased that government is proposing accelerated and proportionate action to meet their stated ambition of reducing illegal file-sharing".

"Throughout this debate, UK Music has voiced concerns that the original time-frame of proposed legislation, and particularly the trigger mechanisms that would grant Ofcom reserve powers to implement technical measures, would have failed to meet these ambitions," a statement said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8247376.stm

Stable.Horse.Bolted.

FAC as actually speaks a lot of sense, on behalf of the artists and the fans..... although Fop suspects the recording industry probably views them as public enemy no. 2.

Why are the musicians hitting out?

Basically they've realised:

1. Being at war with your own fans is not a good idea.

&

2. The recording industry rips them off as much as it does the consumer.

The recording industry will still win though, they have too much money not to do so. :)

&

The recording industry will still win though, they have too much money not to do so. :)

Why don't artists just sell their own music from their own website??

&

Aye that's partially what they are beginning to realise (as are the recording companies in horror) - it doesn't even have to be their own websites.

&

Aye that's partially what they are beginning to realise (as are the recording companies in horror) - it doesn't even have to be their own websites.

Record companies. lol

Songs will end up having adverts in them. The second chorus will be interrupted by targeted advertising based on the song subject and the likely profile of the listener.

I suspect my collection will become interspersed with exhortations to buy vicks vaporub, glow-sticks and rogaine.

Songs will end up having adverts in them. The second chorus will be interrupted by targeted advertising based on the song subject and the likely profile of the listener.

I suspect my collection will become interspersed with exhortations to buy vicks vaporub, glow-sticks and rogaine.

If I had to listen to a 15 sec ad at the start of the song I wouldn't give a shit really...

&

Nope, it's because they arrrrr!

&

No reason not to now days. Unless you're a lazy primadonna who can't be arsed to learn HTML.

I had to take all of our stuff down because of possible litigation over our band name, but even my little old band had tracks for sale on iTunes, Rhapsody, and the other usual suspects. There is absolutely no reason to go through these antiquated record companies any longer unless you can't get the money together for a proper recording, are lazy, would just rather someone else do all the work for you because you're such an artist.

&

Nope, it's because they arrrrr!

It's never been the same since you changed your flag. :(

&

No reason not to now days. Unless you're a lazy primadonna who can't be arsed to learn HTML.

I had to take all of our stuff down because of possible litigation over our band name, but even my little old band had tracks for sale on iTunes, Rhapsody, and the other usual suspects. There is absolutely no reason to go through these antiquated record companies any longer unless you can't get the money together for a proper recording, are lazy, would just rather someone else do all the work for you because you're such an artist.

You're on their hit list now. :(

&

The recording industry will still win though, they have too much money not to do so. :(

You're on their hit list now. <_<

Lols, they already hit me, bud. I work in a fucking factory and haven't played in public in 4 years. :)

&

The recording industry will still win though, they have too much money not to do so. :lol:

You're on their hit list now. :)

Lols, they already hit me, bud. I work in a fucking factory and haven't played in public in 4 years. <_<

There is a RIAA :) over that as we speak. :(

Edited by Fop

&

The recording industry will still win though, they have too much money not to do so. :lol:

You're on their hit list now. :)

Lols, they already hit me, bud. I work in a fucking factory and haven't played in public in 4 years. <_<

You think they're bad? I should tell you about the horseshit cease and desist lawsuit that's sort of been brought against me over our old band name. It's truly an amazing example of why copyrights in this country are ludicrous.

&

You're on their hit list now. :icon_lol:

Lols, they already hit me, bud. I work in a fucking factory and haven't played in public in 4 years. :lol:

You think they're bad? I should tell you about the horseshit cease and desist lawsuit that's sort of been brought against me over our old band name. It's truly an amazing example of why copyrights in this country are ludicrous.

You'd think there would be more killin in a country packed with guns and cunts. <_<

&

You're on their hit list now. :icon_lol:

Copyright law, much like a lot of law is basically legalised theft for the big boys masquerading being morality.

Which is why they don't like this new artists rights idea, because it suddenly leaves them in with their ass hanging in their gigantic sling of greed, but without the old morality decoy to fall back on. :lol:

&

The recording industry will still win though, they have too much money not to do so. :(

You're on their hit list now. :panic:

Lols, they already hit me, bud. I work in a fucking factory and haven't played in public in 4 years. :)

There is a RIAA :) over that as we speak. :D

You'd think there would be more killin in a country packed with guns and cunts. :razz:

Oh, I'd say we've got more than enough of our fair share...

&

Lols, they already hit me, bud. I work in a fucking factory and haven't played in public in 4 years. :razz:

Copyright law, much like a lot of law is basically legalised theft for the big boys masquerading being morality.

Which is why they don't like this new artists rights idea, because it suddenly leaves them in with their ass hanging in their gigantic sling of greed, but without the old morality decoy to fall back on. :)

On this issue you have been on the button more often than not. I on the other hand also blame the artists for going along with it for so long.

&

Lols, they already hit me, bud. I work in a fucking factory and haven't played in public in 4 years. :razz:

Which is why they don't like this new artists rights idea, because it suddenly leaves them in with their ass hanging in their gigantic sling of greed, but without the old morality decoy to fall back on. :)

On this issue you have been on the button more often than not. I on the other hand also blame the artists for going along with it for so long.

Aye they have been culpable (both for reason the could and in fairness probably could not control), but lets hope in what still might be a new media age they continue to become enlighten too.

The artists are the main reason this flawed business model has propagated as long as it has.

At one time, back when everything was actually a physical product, playing ball with the record companies was nearly the only way to play ball. Sure, you had your anomalies even then (people like Ian MacKaye), but it was all so expensive- recording time, duplication, distribution. Now though, no reason for them whatsoever. I've got a Mac and a little Alesis USB 4 channel mixer. Sure, it isnt much different than having a four-tracker and a little studio to cut in back in say 1989, but the difference now is I can make something and have it available to you lot via the web. No CDs, no master reels, no distribution deal. Hardly anyone over here really listens to the radio anymore, it just comes down to having a good sound, getting out there and playing as many gigs as you can, and having a good web presence.

It's still easier though to just let the record company do everything for you and be lazy, er, focused on your music. Why bother yourself with accounting or marketing? Hell, most of these people don't even seem to want to dress themselves. They don't want to be musicians, they want to be rock stars.

Huge difference.

Edited by Cid_MCDP