Channel Four Now

Guest Stevie

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it hardly makes sense that what you said was possible, i.e. a full-scale invasion of the US mainland, if they couldn't/wouldn't invade Hawaii, does it?

It's totally hypothetical. As for not making sense. To me it didn't make sense that the Germans over estimated Britain in the war, but they did. The US had no significant defence all the way to Ohio, nothing, I've seen it said more than twice a surprise Japanese all out invasion would've had them fucked.

How would they have mounted the invasion then? They'd have to cross the Pacific, yet even after Pearl Harbour, they couldn't take the Hawaiian Islands, which were strategically very important and a definite war aim of theirs. It's basically akin to saying the invasion would have been possible and would have suceeded if the US didn't have a Navy or if Japan was where California was instead of on the other side of the Pacific. Sorry, I didn't realise the premise was that hypothetical.

Don't think the Hawaiian islands themselves were ever an objective of theirs, the aircraft carriers that were supposed to be stationed there and other ships were. :munch:

That is a fact, but if they were to launch an all out attack on America they'd surely have been better advised using Hawaii as a base than going straight in to them, the Japanese were much better equipped for war than USA. I tell you the thing now what it was, Rooseveldt and his advisors were shitting themselves regarding a potential imminent invasion of half the country which they knew due to the logistics if it was imminent they could do fuck all about it.

Well, it hardly makes sense that what you said was possible, i.e. a full-scale invasion of the US mainland, if they couldn't/wouldn't invade Hawaii, does it?

It's totally hypothetical. As for not making sense. To me it didn't make sense that the Germans over estimated Britain in the war, but they did. The US had no significant defence all the way to Ohio, nothing, I've seen it said more than twice a surprise Japanese all out invasion would've had them fucked.

How would they have mounted the invasion then? They'd have to cross the Pacific, yet even after Pearl Harbour, they couldn't take the Hawaiian Islands, which were strategically very important and a definite war aim of theirs. It's basically akin to saying the invasion would have been possible and would have suceeded if the US didn't have a Navy or if Japan was where California was instead of on the other side of the Pacific. Sorry, I didn't realise the premise was that hypothetical.

Don't think the Hawaiian islands themselves were ever an objective of theirs, the aircraft carriers that were supposed to be stationed there and other ships were. :munch:

You'd have to accept the strategic importance either way to the US certainly, and by extension to Japan in the Pacific theatre. The point being without controlling the Pacific / defeating the US Navy, invasion wasn't possible.

That is a fact, but if they were to launch an all out attack on America they'd surely have been better advised using Hawaii as a base than going straight in to them, the Japanese were much better equipped for war than USA. I tell you the thing now what it was, Rooseveldt and his advisors were shitting themselves regarding a potential imminent invasion of half the country which they knew due to the logistics if it was imminent they could do fuck all about it.

Using your earlier logic, we were shitting ourselves about Germany invading but that never happened either. You still haven't answered how it would be possible for the Japanese to mount the invasion.

Don't think the Hawaiian islands themselves were ever an objective of theirs, the aircraft carriers that were supposed to be stationed there and other ships were. ;)

You'd have to accept the strategic importance either way to the US certainly, and by extension to Japan in the Pacific theatre. The point being without controlling the Pacific / defeating the US Navy, invasion wasn't possible.

But that was never their intention, so whilst they might well (or might not) have been able to take and hold Hawaii and even the West coast, it just wasn't what they were after.

So to say they didn't do it because they couldn't do it is pretty speculative. :munch:

Don't think the Hawaiian islands themselves were ever an objective of theirs, the aircraft carriers that were supposed to be stationed there and other ships were. :D

But that was never their intention, so whilst they might well (or might not) have been able to take and hold Hawaii and even the West coast, it just wasn't what they were after.

So to say they didn't do it because they couldn't do it is pretty speculative. :munch:

So Stevie's hypothetical scenario, which I was disagreeing with, now needs a further disclaimer, i.e. Japan wanting to do it? ;)

In the whole history of Japan have they actually ever got anything right??

Epic Samurai films tbh.

Apart from that. :munch:

Those gardens with the raked pebbles?

Don't think the Hawaiian islands themselves were ever an objective of theirs, the aircraft carriers that were supposed to be stationed there and other ships were. :D

So Stevie's hypothetical scenario, which I was disagreeing with, now needs a further disclaimer, i.e. Japan wanting to do it? ;)

It's the same as could the USSR have beat the Germans alone? And what could have stopped the Germans have won if they'd manage to stay neutral with the USSR?

Basically it's like IRA vs Taliban...... everyone come out looking daft.

It's the same as could the USSR have beat the Germans alone? And what could have stopped the Germans have won if they'd manage to stay neutral with the USSR?

Basically it's like IRA vs Taliban...... everyone come out looking daft.

That's a more believable scenario than the Pacific Ocean not being there tbf.

The uniforms were too thin for the winter and the tanks started running out of oil...Otherwise Russia would be history.

But what if the pacific ocean had been in the way? :munch:

Not an obsctacle on the risk board tbf. ;)

Can I just point out the Japanese did try to take the South Pacific and eventually Australia but they were righteously fucked and sent packing! No hypatheticals about it.

Can I just point out the Japanese did try to take the South Pacific and eventually Australia but they were righteously fucked and sent packing! No hypatheticals about it.

If they couldn't even take Oz I doubt somehow they could have reached Chicago. Wonder if Stevie has found those references yet.

Don't think the Hawaiian islands themselves were ever an objective of theirs, the aircraft carriers that were supposed to be stationed there and other ships were. ;)

If they couldn't even take Oz I doubt somehow they could have reached Chicago. Wonder if Stevie has found those references yet.

They weren't that far away, a few things different and......

Just like IRA vs Taliban. :munch:

They weren't that far away, a few things different and......

Just like IRA vs Taliban. :munch:

Or Alien v Predator.