Are there any companies you boucouytt?

Park Life

I try to avoid Nestle and Coca Cola.

I'm not militant about it though.

Why?

Coca-Cola Company is perhaps the most widely recognized corporate symbol on the planet. The company also leads in the abuse of workers’ rights, assassinations, water privatization, and worker discrimination. Between 1989 and 2002, eight union leaders from Coca-Cola bottling plants in Colombia were killed after protesting the company’s labor practices. Hundreds of other Coca-Cola workers who have joined or considered joining the Colombian union SINALTRAINAL have been kidnapped, tortured, and detained by paramilitaries who are hired to intimidate workers to prevent them from unionizing.

In India, Coca-Cola destroys local agriculture by privatizing the country’s water resources. In Plachimada, Kerala, Coca-Cola extracted 1.5 million liters of deep well water, which they bottled and sold under the names Dasani and BonAqua. The groundwater was severely depleted, affecting thousands of communities with water shortages and destroying agricultural activity. As a result, the remaining water became contaminated with high chloride and bacteria levels, leading to scabs, eye problems, and stomach aches in the local population.

Coca-Cola is also one of the most discriminatory employers in the world. In the year 2000, 2,000 African-American employees in the U.S. sued the company for race-based disparities in pay and promotions.

-----------------------

The problem of illegal and forced child labor is rampant in the chocolate industry, because more than 40% of the world’s cocoa supply comes from the Ivory Coast, a country that the US State Department estimates had approximately 109,000 child laborers working in hazardous conditions on cocoa farms. In 2001, Save the Children Canada reported that 15,000 children between 9 and 12 years old, many from impoverished Mali, had been tricked or sold into slavery on West African cocoa farms, many for just $30 each.

Nestle, the third largest buyer of cocoa from the Ivory Coast, is well aware of the tragically unjust labor practices taking place on the farms with which it continues to do business. Nestle and other chocolate manufacturers agreed to end the use of abusive and forced child labor on cocoa farms by July 1, 2005, but they failed to do so.

Nestle is also notorious for its aggressive marketing of infant formula in poor countries in the 1980s. Because of this practice, Nestle is still one of the most boycotted corporations in the world, and its infant formula is still controversial. In Italy in 2005, police seized more than two million liters of Nestle infant formula that was contaminated with the chemical isopropylthioxanthone (ITX).

Additionally, violations of labor rights are reported from Nestle factories in numerous countries. In Colombia, Nestle replaced the entire factory staff with lower-wage workers and did not renew the collective employment contract.

But why just those two if you're against corporate injustice? :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Coca-Cola Company is perhaps the most widely recognized corporate symbol on the planet. The company also leads in the abuse of workers’ rights, assassinations, water privatization, and worker discrimination. Between 1989 and 2002, eight union leaders from Coca-Cola bottling plants in Colombia were killed after protesting the company’s labor practices. Hundreds of other Coca-Cola workers who have joined or considered joining the Colombian union SINALTRAINAL have been kidnapped, tortured, and detained by paramilitaries who are hired to intimidate workers to prevent them from unionizing.

In India, Coca-Cola destroys local agriculture by privatizing the country’s water resources. In Plachimada, Kerala, Coca-Cola extracted 1.5 million liters of deep well water, which they bottled and sold under the names Dasani and BonAqua. The groundwater was severely depleted, affecting thousands of communities with water shortages and destroying agricultural activity. As a result, the remaining water became contaminated with high chloride and bacteria levels, leading to scabs, eye problems, and stomach aches in the local population.

Coca-Cola is also one of the most discriminatory employers in the world. In the year 2000, 2,000 African-American employees in the U.S. sued the company for race-based disparities in pay and promotions.

-----------------------

The problem of illegal and forced child labor is rampant in the chocolate industry, because more than 40% of the world’s cocoa supply comes from the Ivory Coast, a country that the US State Department estimates had approximately 109,000 child laborers working in hazardous conditions on cocoa farms. In 2001, Save the Children Canada reported that 15,000 children between 9 and 12 years old, many from impoverished Mali, had been tricked or sold into slavery on West African cocoa farms, many for just $30 each.

Nestle, the third largest buyer of cocoa from the Ivory Coast, is well aware of the tragically unjust labor practices taking place on the farms with which it continues to do business. Nestle and other chocolate manufacturers agreed to end the use of abusive and forced child labor on cocoa farms by July 1, 2005, but they failed to do so.

Nestle is also notorious for its aggressive marketing of infant formula in poor countries in the 1980s. Because of this practice, Nestle is still one of the most boycotted corporations in the world, and its infant formula is still controversial. In Italy in 2005, police seized more than two million liters of Nestle infant formula that was contaminated with the chemical isopropylthioxanthone (ITX).

Additionally, violations of labor rights are reported from Nestle factories in numerous countries. In Colombia, Nestle replaced the entire factory staff with lower-wage workers and did not renew the collective employment contract.

Because those 2 are most famously cuntish I've heard about and are very easy to avoid. I also mentioned IBM. I wouldn't wear Catepillar stuff anyway....or drive a ford. I'm not really in the Chevron or Lockheed markets.

I know Walmart are twats, so I try to avoid Asda too...but it's been made difficult to do that living in South Shields...and as I said, I'm not militant enough to put myself out too much for this stuff. But wherever there's a Coca Cola, there's a Pepsi and wherever there's nestle coffee...there's Tetleys tea bags.

I boycouuyt Bentley and Range Rover too, they're far too gaudy these days. Allowing Premiership footballers to drive them instantly pushes them into the "massively cockish" field of cars.

:) Don't you live in London? How the fuck could you afford a Bentley anyway?!

Why?

-----------------------

Because those 2 are most famously cuntish I've heard about and are very easy to avoid. I also mentioned IBM. I wouldn't wear Catepillar stuff anyway....or drive a ford. I'm not really in the Chevron or Lockheed markets.

I know Walmart are twats, so I try to avoid Asda too...but it's been made difficult to do that living in South Shields...and as I said, I'm not militant enough to put myself out too much for this stuff. But wherever there's a Coca Cola, there's a Pepsi and wherever there's nestle coffee...there's Tetleys tea bags.

So you only avoid them if 1) you don't like them anyway, 2) have an easy substitute, 3) both of the prior?

I boycouuyt Bentley and Range Rover too, they're far too gaudy these days. Allowing Premiership footballers to drive them instantly pushes them into the "massively cockish" field of cars.

Plus he's only just got a new job as an admin assistant, lucky if he could afford a ten year old Ka, let alone s new RR or Bentley :(

Plus he's only just got a new job as an admin assistant, lucky if he could afford a ten year old Ka, let alone s new RR or Bentley :(

:rolleyes: Easy to boycott something you wouldn't be able to buy anyway; think I'll boycott Gucci and Prada!

Why?

-----------------------

So you only avoid them if 1) you don't like them anyway, 2) have an easy substitute, 3) both of the prior?

Yep.

What do you boycott?

"...but wherever there's a coke, there's a pepsi..." Er, no. In a pub or restaurant it's usually one or the other :)

And are you really suggesting I fork out more for my chocolate just so some kid in Cote d'Ivory can have a better life ??? No way, Jose !!!!

"...but wherever there's a coke, there's a pepsi..." Er, no. In a pub or restaurant it's usually one or the other :)

And are you really suggesting I fork out more for my chocolate just so some kid in Cote d'Ivory can have a better life ??? No way, Jose !!!!

:(

There's always an alternative cold fizzy drink.

:rolleyes: Easy to boycott something you wouldn't be able to buy anyway; think I'll boycott Gucci and Prada!

Fucking hell the pair of you are a bit dim. Of course I'm not "boycotting" Rolls or Bentley you Spactastic mongatroids :icon_lol:

Reg Vardy- as stated earlier, as much for the homophobic, creationist fool of a son as the obvious mackem connection

Sports Direct- have a guess

3 mobile phone company-cunts would not cancel a contract on the death of a relative, even after sending death certificate and coroners reports etc.

Nestlehave done for years, strengthened by Mark Thomas programme on their dodgy baby milk in africa practises

I too am waiting with baited breath for the "Italian Brand" response from Stevie :)

Why?

-----------------------

Yep.

What do you boycott?

As Fop's not a hypocrite what do you think? wink.gif

:( Don't you live in London? How the fuck could you afford a Bentley anyway?!

Plus he's only just got a new job as an admin assistant, lucky if he could afford a ten year old Ka, let alone s new RR or Bentley :rolleyes:

:icon_lol: Easy to boycott something you wouldn't be able to buy anyway; think I'll boycott Gucci and Prada!

Fucking hell the pair of you are a bit dim. Of course I'm not "boycotting" Rolls or Bentley you Spactastic mongatroids :jihad:

:)

Nice straight answer there Fopper.

Try again

Stop smoking - the improved blood supply to your brain may help. :)

Smoking's cool as feck, especially for chimps.

Try again, who, if any ,do you boycott.

Nice straight answer there Fopper.

Try again

Stop smoking - the improved blood supply to your brain may help. :(

Smoking's cool as feck, especially for chimps.

Try again, who, if any ,do you boycott.

If neither you, Chris or Fish can work out the answer..... then Parky will. :)