European Driving

The Fish

Anyone got any advice for a mate of mine who's looking for a driving holiday round Europe? He's taking his lass, looking for nice sights and good drives and the like.

Fancies Barcelona, Monaco, Florence, would love to tie in that road the Top Gear boys dove, but he's aware that it's unlikely to be possible to get them all in one trip.

The distance between those 3 isn't particularly far. They're a long way from here though if he's taking his own car and I think hire cars probably have restrictions about driving to different countries. Not sure on that 2nd point though.

Aye he was thinking, maybe swinging by somewhere on the way between London and the Med Coast, but I've persuaded him that Paris is not worth visiting in a car. Fine for a weekend break when you're trying to get your dick wet, but not worth the hassle for part of a 14day driving holiday.

I couldn't think of anywhere that's en route to the Med that's truly worthwhile... maybe the Northern start of the Massive Middle Mountains?

Not sure...

The distance between those 3 isn't particularly far. They're a long way from here though if he's taking his own car and I think hire cars probably have restrictions about driving to different countries. Not sure on that 2nd point though.

Definitely makes sense to hire if point 2 isn't a problem. By the time you include the ferries/shuttle cost, petrol, and drepreciation, I'm sure it would be cheaper as well as giving you more time in the nice parts.

How about Barcelona > Montpellier > Marseilles > St. Tropez/Cannes/Nice/Monaco > Genova > Venice > Dolomites > and back.

Alternatively it may be posssible to do a linear trip, drop the car off, and fly back via Milan.

It'd be a bit pricey and logistically difficult but sounds like a fantastic trip to me. Quite tempted myself. :mellow:

Just thinking, does the Eurostar take you far enough into France/Europe to make it worthwhile staying to the end of the line?

This is basically an excuse for him to take his brand new car for a journey round beautiful areas and glorious roads, so he's not afraid to drive long distances. Things like the Corniche, that phenomenal suspension bridge, those tunnels through the Alps, basically a "We Did That in Top Gear" trail by the sounds of things.

He's not so fussed for sites of historical importance, more about the beauty of nature :mellow:

He's inspired me to look at driving around the states, Google Maps reckons driving non-stop would take 6days and 3 hours.... :o

Just thinking, does the Eurostar take you far enough into France/Europe to make it worthwhile staying to the end of the line?

This is basically an excuse for him to take his brand new car for a journey round beautiful areas and glorious roads, so he's not afraid to drive long distances. Things like the Corniche, that phenomenal suspension bridge, those tunnels through the Alps, basically a "We Did That in Top Gear" trail by the sounds of things.

He's not so fussed for sites of historical importance, more about the beauty of nature :mellow:

He's inspired me to look at driving around the states, Google Maps reckons driving non-stop would take 6days and 3 hours.... :o

Eurostar is a passnger train, basically a modified TGV. You can change and get a TGV direct to Nice but it'd be tricky to get a car onboard!

I think it is Le Shuttle that transports cars but afaik only across the channel to Calais. What type of car does he has that he wants to show off so desperately? I would always hire for journeys in excess of 1000 miles personally. In fact I never drive further than Scotland.

He's getting a new Mitsubushi Evo (I know, I know)

Only to Calais, you say, fairy muff.

He's checking out those roads that the top gear boy thrashed the super cars around and (quite reasonably) says he doesn't want to do them in a hired Vauxhall Corsa or the like. and If he has to hire a top class car, he would be spending more money than it's worth

He's getting a new Mitsubushi Evo (I know, I know)

Only to Calais, you say, fairy muff.

He's checking out those roads that the top gear boy thrashed the super cars around and (quite reasonably) says he doesn't want to do them in a hired Vauxhall Corsa or the like. and If he has to hire a top class car, he would be spending more money than it's worth

I wouldn't fancy those roads with a right-hand drive vehicle like, good luck to him! Hope he's well insured.

The Verdon Gorge, south east of Provence is one location used several times by Top Gear.

If he wants to take in the Millau Viaduct too, driving from Calais, I would recommend coming down through the Parc des Volcanes(Clermont Ferrand area), then drive through the Cevennes to Provence.

From the Verdon Gorge, the Riviera is an hour south, or you can head east towards the Dolomites then up thru the Alps.

Whichever route, it's a cracking drive( on 2 wheels for the win mind).

From memory you can get the car train all the way down to the south of france.

Looked on Google maps, I can't find Memory anywhere. :mellow:

We've had a root about and can't find proof that you can get the car on a train on the way down.

You can only put your car on Le Shuttle, between Dover and Calais.

Definitely makes sense to hire if point 2 isn't a problem. By the time you include the ferries/shuttle cost, petrol, and drepreciation, I'm sure it would be cheaper as well as giving you more time in the nice parts.

How about Barcelona > Montpellier > Marseilles > St. Tropez/Cannes/Nice/Monaco > Genova > Venice > Dolomites > and back.

Alternatively it may be posssible to do a linear trip, drop the car off, and fly back via Milan.

It'd be a bit pricey and logistically difficult but sounds like a fantastic trip to me. Quite tempted myself. :mellow:

Isn't that a classic Triumph??? (Rhetorical question)

Deutschland is fun to drive around but you'd have to be an idiot and a cock to drive a right hand drive car on the wrong side of the road.

We've had a root about and can't find proof that you can get the car on a train on the way down.

During the long summer months (May to September) Rail Europe operates a unique service to South of France. So if you want to take your car or motorbike to France, but don't fancy spending hours on the road at the start of your holiday, you can!

Oh really! :razz:

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=493

:blink:

During the long summer months (May to September) Rail Europe operates a unique service to South of France. So if you want to take your car or motorbike to France, but don't fancy spending hours on the road at the start of your holiday, you can!

Oh really! :razz:

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=493

That looks like the mutt's nuts, never knew you could do that. Cheers. :blink:

Shows how good Fish's internet searching skills are too. :razz:

Some of the roads from the Top Gear best driving roads episode are listed here:

http://www.redlineblog.com/top-gears-world...road-in-detail/

I can't remember if they liked the Stelvio Pass or the Davos to Stelvio road best, but if you watch Dave for more than three hours you should find out :blink:

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater