Boycotting a match

timnufc

Obviously we want Ashley to sell and do anything we can to help force it through. Making it extremely unwelcoming for him to be there is a necessity, targeting Sports Direct, and ideally I would love Ashley to walk into/see on tv a stadium that is practially empty as a message to him, because its hitting him where it hurts the most, his pocket.

Now I understand a lot of fans wouldnt want to boycott the whole season, but in these times I think we should & could organise a date where a very large percentage of fans could agree that on that specific game we simply dont go, and dont part any money.

Simply as a big fuck off message to him and to get him worried, because hes going to be at his most worried if he's losing money. Like I said, its a tricky one, because you cant force anyone not to go, and its maybe in a lot of peoples minds either boycott the whole season or dont boycott at all, but surley something can be organised for that 1 game to give the biggest message yet to Ashley.

The visual impact of a mass boycott would make good/bad press, but since most seats are pre-paid S/Ts the financial effect on his pocket would be negligible.

As has been suggested in a previous thread, I think the best way to hit him in the pocket is via his other businesses.

Bad press about Sports Direct, working conditions, buying practices, etc will hit him. Organised boycotts and pickets of the shops, etc.

As ever, don't buy the food/drink/official programme at the match.

Thats true, I mean if I didnt go on saturday it would hardly make any difference because nothing has been organised.

I know what you mean about the season tickets, but how many have actually been sold? They say 25,000 but can you really trust what you say, was that not to drum up more sales? Who knows, but the 15,000 figure was bieng talked about.

Still, 25,000 is still a big drop on say 35,000 if you include people going on general sale. A boycott for people who buy on general sale could be the message/plan.

And aye, I totally agree about Sports Direct. Any ideas about getting it going asap?

Guest Stevie

There'll be 36000 there against Reading I guess, and it's all well and good boycotting, but the fact of the matter is I bought my season ticket for selfish reasons. I totally understand people who don't want to go while Ashley is there, but the club still represents the city, and we have a few lads who clearly look like they want to roll their sleaves up and have a go, so that's why I bought me season ticket, to give me support to the lads, and I just like going to the match. Fuck Ashley. He's just passing through, the same as the players and the coaching staff.

Agree with Stevie. I will always go and watch NUFC because they are my ream.

This maybe the attitude which has helped get us in the situatiioon we are in I don't know.

Also it is easy to boycaott something you do not go to.

This maybe the attitude which has helped get us in the situatiioon we are in I don't know.

It's certainly a dilemma like. And I know where Stevie's coming from. Although there's not much point anyway when you've paid for the next two years already. :mellow:

It's certainly a dilemma like. And I know where Stevie's coming from. Although there's not much point anyway when you've paid for the next two years already. :mellow:

The Cockney mafia out banner and a vocal protest seemed to get somewhere at the time. :o

Thats why people could compramise and tagret 1 specific game. I get to most games, will be there on sat. But would love the strongest message possible sent out to Ashley at least for one game, and think something should be organised.

I dont see why we should be forced to miss any games just because Ashley has fucked us over. If there was a match boycott nothing would happen, Ashley wouldn't sell any faster, he wouldn't reduce his asking price. The only thing it will prove is that he is disliked by the fans. Something he is well aware of anyway.

I personally think chants of "get out of my club you fat cockney b*****d" at every game will get more of a message across personally.

Match Boycotts didn't work for Wimbledon and they didn't work for Mansfield. Whilst we are much bigger than these said clubs there is no reason it would work in this situation either.

It's certainly a dilemma like. And I know where Stevie's coming from. Although there's not much point anyway when you've paid for the next two years already. :o

The Cockney mafia out banner and a vocal protest seemed to get somewhere at the time. :razz:

Yes and no. I mean, the club was sale for £400m after that so it was just the same as before. The placing of the club on the market was more of a pisstake by him imo. I.e. he was willing to sell if anyone was daft enough to buy at that price. Similar to now. It did get a canny bit of press though and I'd be all for people singing about what a wanker he is at all the home games this season. Whilst backing the team of course. I wouldn't want to incur the wrath of our Australian fan :mellow:

I dont see why we should be forced to miss any games just because Ashley has fucked us over. If there was a match boycott nothing would happen, Ashley wouldn't sell any faster, he wouldn't reduce his asking price. The only thing it will prove is that he is disliked by the fans. Something he is well aware of anyway.

I personally think chants of "get out of my club you fat cockney b*****d" at every game will get more of a message across personally.

Match Boycotts didn't work for Wimbledon and they didn't work for Mansfield. Whilst we are much bigger than these said clubs there is no reason it would work in this situation either.

Because he cares more about money than anything else. He'd rather have chants against him than a loss in revenue, not that I dont want that chant bellowing out from the stands. Maybe like a message/vibe of 'this will be happening more & more if you decide to stay'

I think it's a really difficult call to make because (even putting aside loyalty issues) on one hand you feel like you're letting him take the piss out of you by lining his pockets and on the other you (or at least I do) get the feeling that he's one vindictive cunt who might even take a substantial loss as some form of twisted revenge.

Because he cares more about money than anything else. He'd rather have chants against him than a loss in revenue, not that I dont want that chant bellowing out from the stands. Maybe like a message/vibe of 'this will be happening more & more if you decide to stay'

If these figures of 25-28k season tickets are to be believed and lets say for arguments sake that 28k decide not to go to a game and the couple of thousand who buy on the day just go plus the away following he's still gonna have the same ammount of money!!

ST holders have already paid he doesnt give a toss if we go or not!

I'm not a season ticket holder, but I think a thread on here summed it up recently "Match Day-the one thing Ashley can't fuck up".

People have already spent hard earned money on their tickets and the whole weekend is based around match day. Asking fans not to turn up would be like a kick in the teeth for some of them, I'd imagine.

The protest last season before the game got exposure on bbc and the like.

Edited by Barney

I think it's a really difficult call to make because (even putting aside loyalty issues) on one hand you feel like you're letting him take the piss out of you by lining his pockets and on the other you (or at least I do) get the feeling that he's one vindictive cunt who might even take a substantial loss as some form of twisted revenge.

Totally know how you mean mate.

Ultimately though, I do think it does boil down to him trying to make as much money as possible. Hes holding out for a crazy price, just like last time it seems. If he cant get that greedy price, he will keep the club and gamble we get promoted, and then ask for another crazy price. This is how it seems to me.

Massive loss in revenue could be the thing to kick it into his head that hes going to lose more money than he can retain.

I'm not a season ticket holder, but I think a thread on here summed it up recently "Match Day-the one thing Ashley can't fuck up".

People have already spent hard earned money on their tickets and the whole weekend is based around match day. Asking fans not to turn up would be like a kick in the teeth for some of them, I'd imagine.

The protest last season before the game got exposure on bbc and the like.

Plus the lad with the cokney mafia out banner is not using it at the mo :mellow:

If these figures of 25-28k season tickets are to be believed and lets say for arguments sake that 28k decide not to go to a game and the couple of thousand who buy on the day just go plus the away following he's still gonna have the same ammount of money!!

ST holders have already paid he doesnt give a toss if we go or not!

Theres going to be around 10k I'd say who would buy general sale tickets. Im saying anyone who buys tickets on general sale dosent go, thats still a decent drop in revenue for him, especially if it was going to keep happening if he stays.

Ultimately though, I do think it does boil down to him trying to make as much money as possible. Hes holding out for a crazy price, just like last time it seems. If he cant get that greedy price, he will keep the club and gamble we get promoted, and then ask for another crazy price. This is how it seems to me.

Massive loss in revenue could be the thing to kick it into his head that hes going to lose more money than he can retain.

You see though, that sums up the impetuous nature of the bloke and is backed up by his ridiculous stock market gambles etc. I agree he is motivated by money and he has no feeling imo for the fans or the club beyond that but at the same time everything he does screams at you what an irrational bloke he is if you see what I mean. If he was just interested in recouping money it would be more sensible to cut his losses and take a reasonable price for the club plus a sensible package on allowing the new owners to repay the loan (or part thereof). I think he's maybe thinking "I'll hang onto the club, we'll go back up and then I'll get my money back". Another gamble in other words and who knows what he'll do if it doesn't pay off.

That was a bit rambling and I apologise for that and it wasn't meant as a criticism of your stance either.

You see though, that sums up the impetuous nature of the bloke and is backed up by his ridiculous stock market gambles etc. I agree he is motivated by money and he has no feeling imo for the fans or the club beyond that but at the same time everything he does screams at you what an irrational bloke he is if you see what I mean. If he was just interested in recouping money it would be more sensible to cut his losses and take a reasonable price for the club plus a sensible package on allowing the new owners to repay the loan (or part thereof). I think he's maybe thinking "I'll hang onto the club, we'll go back up and then I'll get my money back". Another gamble in other words and who knows what he'll do if it doesn't pay off.

That was a bit rambling and I apologise for that and it wasn't meant as a criticism of your stance either.

that was rambling at it's best :mellow:

It's like the bloke in the bookies chasing his losses. Do you give up or have one last bet.