Loyalty

Guest Stevie

I'm always suss about people who like football but never liked it as a kid. What's that all about?

Totally agree. I reckon from the age of 5 to 14, 95% of my living thoughts were about football. Even worse though are blokes who just don't like football, I haven't got one male mate who is a football hater, I don't think I could have neither. How can you have a mate who doesn't like football?

Makes you wonder whether football will enter a supporters decline in the next ten years or so as kids nowadays dont play it like we used to. Days for us used to be a lickabout in the playground, twice a day. Run home, get changed and straight onto the field for two hours. Finishing off after tea with an hour or so of head tennis in the street.

School holidays just meant two 4 hour long games followed by tea and twice as much head tennis.

Nowadays you dont see kids knocking a ball around in the street.

In the summer holidays this no word of a lie, we used to play football, at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, I bet people think am kiddin. 3 pots in, heads and volleys, world cup singles, beat the keeper, magic, magic days, some kids still have them but it's not the same, they all have play stations and are spoilt little cunts. I had a computer but it was secondary to playing football. You could guarantee on any given day we could get 10-30 kids for a game, within a 3 to 4 age radius of me. Today there are few kids playing and it's heart breaking. The likes of Steven Gerrard, Rio and Lampard are my generation in 10 years time, if you think the conveyor belt of young talent is shite now, I think due to the fact we've become a nation of fat lazy kids, we'll be lucky to produce world class stars.

Kids looked better cos we were all fit as fuck, you're only talking 20 years ago here. Spoilt cunts the lot of em. All I ever wanted was me BMX, match and shoot once a week, and enough for 10 packets of stickers. Sad how lifes went down hill since then in the name of progress.

:lol:

My first proper memory of mass football games was the Espana '82 world cup, we'd play football in the 'rec' behind our street, I'd be either Zico, (not Mick Martin!) or Socrates because the Brazilian names sounded cool as fuck to a young kid, we'd play all day until either the glue sniffers came to hang about or our mams called us in for our tea or there was a game on the telly, after the world cup a certain KK joined us and every kid would shout 'KEEGAN!' as they had a shot.

As an aside, I found an old photo of my school team collecting our medals for winning our league in 1984, there was a few toon shirts, some black & white, some silver, I had an admiral England shirt on, (the last England top I've ever had) and there wasn't one Man U/LFC whatever shirt to be seen. I find it a bit fucking sad when I see a Chelsea top or whatever on any kids around Newcastle, and the amount of blokes who wear them, what sad, sad bastards are these?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder - If we were in Man City's predicament - if we would ever notice the negative aspects brought to the game by their owners behaviour?

Would the sheer bliss of being the richest club in the world pull the wool over our eyes or would it be an emptier experience free of the grace of competitive sports?

I'm always suss about people who like football but never liked it as a kid. What's that all about?

Totally agree. I reckon from the age of 5 to 14, 95% of my living thoughts were about football. Even worse though are blokes who just don't like football, I haven't got one male mate who is a football hater, I don't think I could have neither. How can you have a mate who doesn't like football?

Makes you wonder whether football will enter a supporters decline in the next ten years or so as kids nowadays dont play it like we used to. Days for us used to be a lickabout in the playground, twice a day. Run home, get changed and straight onto the field for two hours. Finishing off after tea with an hour or so of head tennis in the street.

School holidays just meant two 4 hour long games followed by tea and twice as much head tennis.

In the summer holidays this no word of a lie, we used to play football, at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, I bet people think am kiddin. 3 pots in, heads and volleys, world cup singles, beat the keeper, magic, magic days, some kids still have them but it's not the same, they all have play stations and are spoilt little cunts. I had a computer but it was secondary to playing football. You could guarantee on any given day we could get 10-30 kids for a game, within a 3 to 4 age radius of me. Today there are few kids playing and it's heart breaking. The likes of Steven Gerrard, Rio and Lampard are my generation in 10 years time, if you think the conveyor belt of young talent is shite now, I think due to the fact we've become a nation of fat lazy kids, we'll be lucky to produce world class stars.

Kids looked better cos we were all fit as fuck, you're only talking 20 years ago here. Spoilt cunts the lot of em. All I ever wanted was me BMX, match and shoot once a week, and enough for 10 packets of stickers. Sad how lifes went down hill since then in the name of progress.

eh? thats a canny stereotype that like, the only reason you dont see kids playing football is because people have so many cars in the street in not possible to play football there anymore, get yourself to your local field in the summer and you'll see them.

all kids are spoilt little cunts? wtf what a shitty post

In my day there was what were known as 'street gangs', not gangs as they are thought of today but lads in the street who played and knocked around together, I was a member of the Claremont Street gang. Funnily enough all the lads in my gang gravitated towards swimming and water-polo and spent most of their time at the baths whereas I was the only one who loved and wanted to play football.

Actually I tagged along and was into the swimming & water-polo thing but kicked a ball around every chance I got, even mingled with other gangs if they were having a kick-around. Used to get on the Windmill Hills on Saturdays and kick-around all day, Bobby Pattinson used to kick-around there too. Wasn't unusual to to be kicking a tenny on the way home from school and many's the time I've played with a tin-can as a ball(mam used to get mad at the scuffed shoes)

I think the telly began the downfall of kids playing footie.

Guest Stevie

eh? thats a canny stereotype that like, the only reason you dont see kids playing football is because people have so many cars in the street in not possible to play football there anymore, get yourself to your local field in the summer and you'll see them.

They are in general little fat spoilt cunts. The fields where I live were teaming with kids, you might see a fatha and son having a kick around now and that's it. When you're a youngun like you, you're not going to notice the difference because you never seen what it used to be like.

I think it might be different these days but probably for a multitude of reasons.

I have three cousins who are fairly young - three brothers - and literally everything is football. If they are on the Xbox it will be a football game and the two older lads play for teams - one is absolutely class and gets loads of medals and stuff. Same as me when was a kid -(apart from the medals as I was utter shite) most of the time I was wearing a football shirt of some description.

The oldest lad is a season ticket holder with my uncle and the middle goes every now and then, but there does seem to be an inherent obsession with football. Even when out with their mother one time she said to two of them 'When Newcastle score you can hear it all over town'' and then strangely enough we scored soon enough.

So I don't think it's everybody young - perhaps just a select group and I bet they get it from their parents!

For me it's not just NUFC that's dead, it the whole of football since Chelsea and especially Man city got mega-rich owners who don't give a shit about the good of the game. It just feels utterly pointless now, there's no competition.

I would have genuinely loved to see us be a competitive force in the Championship with a realistic target. Now though that fat cunt has robbed us even of that. If things don't improve by Christmas I'm cancelling by direct debit and will go when I want to next year. At the end of the day, we're treated like customers now (very shoddily, I might add), so why go when it gives no pleasure? There are better ways to spend the time and money.

This is one of the things that really got to me. I'd got to the point where i'd accepted relegation and started thinking, you know what with Shearer and Dowie sorting the cub out from top to bottom and having the full suppost of us fans, with some of the crap shifted and some younger, hungrier players identified by Big Al coming in alongside the better players we kept we could have a season where we won games, scored goald and did well, remember those days!

A quick promotion ending up with a better squad than we went down with and a hcance to quickly build again with more money and Ashley the cunt wrecked all of that and plunged us into a state i never imagined possible, i really do hope something fucking horrible happens to him!

these two posts sum it up for me- even after going down, there was a crumb of optimism left in most of our hearts.

Now it's just empty

Mike Ashley- I hope you end up homeless, sucking cocks for cheap cider.

I think it might be different these days but probably for a multitude of reasons.

I have three cousins who are fairly young - three brothers - and literally everything is football. If they are on the Xbox it will be a football game and the two older lads play for teams - one is absolutely class and gets loads of medals and stuff. Same as me when was a kid -(apart from the medals as I was utter shite) most of the time I was wearing a football shirt of some description.

The oldest lad is a season ticket holder with my uncle and the middle goes every now and then, but there does seem to be an inherent obsession with football. Even when out with their mother one time she said to two of them 'When Newcastle score you can hear it all over town'' and then strangely enough we scored soon enough.

So I don't think it's everybody young - perhaps just a select group and I bet they get it from their parents!

My street is full of little bastards constantly bouncing balls of cars/ Walls ( mine included), the school fields just up the road are pretty busy too like.

People need to read the Daily Mail less and walk around their community more.

I walk my little girl before bathtime, the little "chavs" locally are actully sound, very polite, and funny.

All you need do is talk to them.

My street is full of little bastards constantly bouncing balls of cars/ Walls ( mine included), the school fields just up the road are pretty busy too like.

I walk my little girl before bathtime, the little "chavs" locally are actully sound, very polite, and funny.

Well said.

a lot of kids don’t play out now because of all the peado hysteria.

The one thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of kids (including girls) get good quality coaching these days, sadly unheard of when I was a lad except from a crap PE teacher or if your lucky a knowledgeable parent who organised a team.

I know there were a few good boys clubs etc, but the thought of all those football obsessed kids without access to any decent coaching was a disgrace. But then again football was a dirty word in those days to many.

I wasn't talking about Chavs. I was talking about people who don't give their kids enough encouragement to exercise and just let them become a fat mess.

Loyalty is like an elastic band. The accumulative kinetic energy would put Ashley into orbit.

His gravitational field would play havoc with the tides though. :lol:

They are in general little fat spoilt cunts. The fields where I live were teaming with kids, you might see a fatha and son having a kick around now and that's it. When you're a youngun like you, you're not going to notice the difference because you never seen what it used to be like.

Thing is, these days, kids football is a lot more organised. When I was a kid you had a school team at under 11 and then some local sides. For each age group there was a team from Wallsend, Montagu, Crammy Juniors, Bedlington etc...

I took my young un to trials at a few places at the beginning of the summer, he is going into the under 10 age group. North Shields had enough kids for 7 teams. They couldn't take all of them as they didn't have enough coaches. My young un is going to play for Crammy Juniors and they are putting out 5 sides this season at under 10's. Most clubs are running at least 2 sides at under 10's.

Stevie, you are so right and equally so wrong. Kids aren't out playing on the fields and messing about. A lot of them however are playing organised football every weekend and training at least once a week.

The kids these days are no different. They are as football daft as we were. What has changed is the parenting.

What has changed is the parenting.

How so? in what way? for the better or worse?

As I recall, my folks never went to a swimming gala to watch me compete, never saw me play water-polo in the then Northumberland & Durham Water Polo League, and never ever saw me play football and I played a lot, school football, Gateshead boys, Clarke Chapmans apprentices. Supported me in their own way, bought me anything I needed without question, but were never spectators.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stevie

Been down to collect the ticket this morning, I've moved seats but am now in Row A of Level 7 :lol:

Anyway they have a southern lass in the ticket office now, I don't think it's possible to be more miserable than her, fair enough you're ginger love but cheer up. Anyway, she said they've sold about 28,000 up to now. Not bad at all. I bet the mackems haven't sold 28,000.

For me it's not just NUFC that's dead, it the whole of football since Chelsea and especially Man city got mega-rich owners who don't give a shit about the good of the game. It just feels utterly pointless now, there's no competition.

I would have genuinely loved to see us be a competitive force in the Championship with a realistic target. Now though that fat cunt has robbed us even of that. If things don't improve by Christmas I'm cancelling by direct debit and will go when I want to next year. At the end of the day, we're treated like customers now (very shoddily, I might add), so why go when it gives no pleasure? There are better ways to spend the time and money.

This is one of the things that really got to me. I'd got to the point where i'd accepted relegation and started thinking, you know what with Shearer and Dowie sorting the cub out from top to bottom and having the full suppost of us fans, with some of the crap shifted and some younger, hungrier players identified by Big Al coming in alongside the better players we kept we could have a season where we won games, scored goald and did well, remember those days!

A quick promotion ending up with a better squad than we went down with and a hcance to quickly build again with more money and Ashley the cunt wrecked all of that and plunged us into a state i never imagined possible, i really do hope something fucking horrible happens to him!

these two posts sum it up for me- even after going down, there was a crumb of optimism left in most of our hearts.

Now it's just empty

Mike Ashley- I hope you end up homeless, sucking cocks for cheap cider.

:lol:

sigged.

• 1 year later...
I was sometimes Hoddle. :lol:

Just reading this old thread, there seen this. I was always Marco van Basten or.....Mark Robins haha. I wasn't good enough to be Beardsley. I loved van Basten before he was even that famous.