Loyalty

Guest Stevie

<snip>

As Kate Bush sang so sexily to Peter Gabriel, Don't Give Up.

"In this proud land we grew up strong, we were wanted all along,

I was taught to fight, taught to win, I never thought I could fail.

No fight left or so it seems, I am a man whose dreams have all deserted"

Cracking song and bang on for our current plight the start of the song.

Not only that, but then towards the end (last verse more or less I think)

Got to walk out of here, I can't take anymore

Going to stand on that bridge, keep my eyes down below.

Whatever may come and whatever may go -

That river's flowing, that river's flowing.

Oh, and Kate Bush :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always suss about people who like football but never liked it as a kid. What's that all about?

Totally agree. I reckon from the age of 5 to 14, 95% of my living thoughts were about football. Even worse though are blokes who just don't like football, I haven't got one male mate who is a football hater, I don't think I could have neither. How can you have a mate who doesn't like football?

The only two of my mates who don't like footie are gay. Case closed.

I was probably just sympathising but I suppose for me football was just inescapable - not that I wanted to escape it.

My brother is two years older than me so if it wasn't somebody else firing it at me it was him, or playing football pretty much every day throughout primary and secondary school.

It's a ''meme'' as Fish would say. :lol:

For me, the real killer is that it's fucking boring man. Football in general and the match itself.

That's where I stand on things. I mean, what is there to be excited about with football these days? Watching the Sir Bob match yesterday got me thinking about his time here and how that excitement is totally gone. There was a time under him where it really felt like we could break through the glass ceiling, especially when we were hammering Arsenal and Leeds in back-to-back weeks and football in general just felt a bit more competitive. Then Chelsea got the mega bucks and the whole state of the game went to shit. Now, there's nothing exciting about seeing the top 4 (and now Man City, I suppose) having the pick of the bunch then leaving the rest of us to battle it out for a trip in the totally shit UEFA Cup or an "exciting" cup run that will be ruined as soon as the top 4 don't have an important league game on the weekend. There's a depressing feeling that we'll never win anything unless we get bought out by some mega-rich tycoon and football really shouldn't be like that.

As an aside, does anyone have that bat-shit post that HTT made about football just being entertainment like movies or music?

Despite growing up in Newcastle - First toon game at 17, first home toon game at 18....our survey says...bygraves_duhduhh.jpg

I'm not saying he was right or anything, far from it. This thread just reminded me of it and the bollock tickling that followed.

I'm always suss about people who like football but never liked it as a kid. What's that all about?

Totally agree. I reckon from the age of 5 to 14, 95% of my living thoughts were about football. Even worse though are blokes who just don't like football, I haven't got one male mate who is a football hater, I don't think I could have neither. How can you have a mate who doesn't like football?

I didn't meet anyone who was working class who didn't like football until I started work - that was a lad who is still a mate from Shiremmor who just didn't get it. Funny thing was he used to use Stevie-esque arguments about me being from South of the Tyneand being a Geordie and I always replied that football was so part of what I consiedered the Geordie identity that I couldn't really accept him as one either.

Makes you wonder whether football will enter a supporters decline in the next ten years or so as kids nowadays dont play it like we used to. Days for us used to be a lickabout in the playground, twice a day. Run home, get changed and straight onto the field for two hours. Finishing off after tea with an hour or so of head tennis in the street.

School holidays just meant two 4 hour long games followed by tea and twice as much head tennis.

Nowadays you dont see kids knocking a ball around in the street.

I never did the whole "pretending to be Beardsley" or anything... maybe because I knew I was shit. :lol: The players I was most like in terms of approach to the game weren't the kind to celebrate goals often, so I never bothered.

(Tom, fwiw I'd say that a meme is now thought to be a more transitory incident and I'd not choose to apply it to something that's ingrained itself into every part of you.)

For me it's not just NUFC that's dead, it the whole of football since Chelsea and especially Man city got mega-rich owners who don't give a shit about the good of the game. It just feels utterly pointless now, there's no competition.

I would have genuinely loved to see us be a competitive force in the Championship with a realistic target. Now though that fat cunt has robbed us even of that. If things don't improve by Christmas I'm cancelling by direct debit and will go when I want to next year. At the end of the day, we're treated like customers now (very shoddily, I might add), so why go when it gives no pleasure? There are better ways to spend the time and money.

Agreed

The sooner Manure, Chavski and co fuck off to form their euro super wankfest the better

Then the rest of us can get on with a competitive competition that's actually entertaining to watch

I see what your saying about the big spenders who are fucking the game up and trying to purchase their way to success but, would you really be that enthused about watching NUFC in a league without any of say the top 4? The fact that they tried or have bought their way into the top 4 makes me want to beat them all the more. Not forgetting we are in the shit big time either.....I just don't want a 'break-away' super league.

Aye I'm all for the competitive edge to return, but losing those big clubs to a break away league isn't the answer. I don't know what it will be, but challenging Aston Villa for the "Premiership" while the giants of world football battle it out with the best players, in the biggest arenas will feel a little redundant.

And you know that every decent player will want to fuck off to that league as soon as humanly possible.

It would just make a mockery of the tradition of English football, imo

Guest Stevie

Makes you wonder whether football will enter a supporters decline in the next ten years or so as kids nowadays dont play it like we used to. Days for us used to be a lickabout in the playground, twice a day. Run home, get changed and straight onto the field for two hours. Finishing off after tea with an hour or so of head tennis in the street.

School holidays just meant two 4 hour long games followed by tea and twice as much head tennis.

In the summer holidays this no word of a lie, we used to play football, at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, I bet people think am kiddin. 3 pots in, heads and volleys, world cup singles, beat the keeper, magic, magic days, some kids still have them but it's not the same, they all have play stations and are spoilt little cunts. I had a computer but it was secondary to playing football. You could guarantee on any given day we could get 10-30 kids for a game, within a 3 to 4 age radius of me. Today there are few kids playing and it's heart breaking. The likes of Steven Gerrard, Rio and Lampard are my generation in 10 years time, if you think the conveyor belt of young talent is shite now, I think due to the fact we've become a nation of fat lazy kids, we'll be lucky to produce world class stars.

Kids looked better cos we were all fit as fuck, you're only talking 20 years ago here. Spoilt cunts the lot of em. All I ever wanted was me BMX, match and shoot once a week, and enough for 10 packets of stickers. Sad how lifes went down hill since then in the name of progress.

Aye I'm all for the competitive edge to return, but losing those big clubs to a break away league isn't the answer. I don't know what it will be, but challenging Aston Villa for the "Premiership" while the giants of world football battle it out with the best players, in the biggest arenas will feel a little redundant.

And you know that every decent player will want to fuck off to that league as soon as humanly possible.

It would just make a mockery of the tradition of English football, imo

Already done, that.

Guest Stevie
indeed when your a kid any free time is spent in a street playing headers and volleys/knockouts and generally driving someone nuts as you never played near your own door.

Also pretending to be your footballing hero at that time, *sniff* i was normally Rob Lee

unless we were playing internationals in which case i was Paul McGrath

Haha its funny I was never Gazza or Peter or Bryan Robson, I was always Marco van Basten cos I used to think I volleyed the ball like him, I followed him even before he played for Milan I used to draw pictures of him with the Dutch flag around him, that sounds gay doesn't it?

We used to play in the village on a week night and we all used to go to Chester-Le-Street to play there on a Saturday and Sunday. We used to pretty much have our bus fare and money for a bit of food and pretty much play all day.

Literally all day too :lol:

In the summer holidays this no word of a lie, we used to play football, at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, I bet people think am kiddin. 3 pots in, heads and volleys, world cup singles, beat the keeper, magic, magic days, some kids still have them but it's not the same, they all have play stations and are spoilt little cunts. I had a computer but it was secondary to playing football. You could guarantee on any given day we could get 10-30 kids for a game, within a 3 to 4 age radius of me. Today there are few kids playing and it's heart breaking. The likes of Steven Gerrard, Rio and Lampard are my generation in 10 years time, if you think the conveyor belt of young talent is shite now, I think due to the fact we've become a nation of fat lazy kids, we'll be lucky to produce world class stars.

Kids looked better cos we were all fit as fuck, you're only talking 20 years ago here. Spoilt cunts the lot of em. All I ever wanted was me BMX, match and shoot once a week, and enough for 10 packets of stickers. Sad how lifes went down hill since then in the name of progress.

So true - bit older than you like the atari had just come out when i was about 8 or 9 - nothing dimmed the passion for footie though - every day without fail - weekends for the saturday and sunday teams - must have been knackered but can't remember ever feeling it - must say though i am still looking forward to the season - somehow seems a bit more real in the championship

We used to play in the village on a week night and we all used to go to Chester-Le-Street to play there on a Saturday and Sunday. We used to pretty much have our bus fare and money for a bit of food and pretty much play all day.

Literally all day too :lol:

We used to play all day as well, usually in the park with a pitch the length of Brands Hatch. I remember the days of 15vs15, every time one went in, switch keeper and about 4 extra balls in case one got booted into the pond.

Stevie saying about the 30 kids, I'll never forget 30 or so lads turning up for a game and this lad nicknamed the Guv'nor suggested the "extra" lads were subs... like any twat wants to spend their Sunday afternoon watching 20 other kids playing football, waiting for some arbitrary substitution? :lol:

it was class, jump the fence into the school grounds, play for hours, walk with your mates the couple of mile home in time for a bath then a roast dinner. :icon_lol:

jumpers for goalposts, rush 'keeper and all that stuff. Even better in the summer holidays, because it was the only time I got to see the majority of the lads.

There was one lad who once insisted dressing up as a referee because he got a kit and some cards, notebook etc for his birthday.

He once tried to send people off and stuff and people just told him where to go. :lol: