How far was yesterday away from....

Howaythelads

That is a match that last season or the season before even, we'd have lost 1-0 or drew 0-0. Just 3 points off the top 3 now, joint 2nd with Chelsea in the recent form guide, one of the best defensive records in the country, yet still people post negative stuff.

Get a grip.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have sworn we won yesterday like.  We didn't blow them away but they came for a nil-nil and they nearly got it......nearly, but not quite.  Shit game, not a great performance, but 3 points on the board.

Still, if you're happier twisting after 4 wins on the bounce......

Oh and nice comment from the Doc. :D

53185[/snapback]

:DI see sheep again.

Can't see the big picture, can you, Gemmill? Neither can your 'friend' by the sound of it.

53222[/snapback]

Obviously you're right and I can't see the big picture. But then I'm not seeing sheep either.

We were lucky on Sarrida like, no doubt about that. Brum came for a nil-nil and, barring a howler by their 'keeper it would have worked. They nearly even snatched one. Maybe our luck has changed.

Playing badly and winning, sign of Champions.

53339[/snapback]

:D

Bring on Chelsea!

53342[/snapback]

Following Mourinho's quote that if he lost 3 games in a row he'd expect to be sacked, I expect he'll be spending most of the next couple of weeks on the bog.

Playing badly and winning, sign of Champions.

53339[/snapback]

Bring on Chelsea!

53342[/snapback]

We've got them while they're on the ropes as well, shame we couldn't let Dyer join up with the England team and infect a few of the bastids.

This thread has made it quite obvious that some people paint us in a bad light and want us to fail just for an excuse to hate Souness. To be perfectly honest I hate the mans guts and would love to see him and his 'proper' backroom staff given the boot but we are winning - It may not be pretty but we're doing it and that is all that matters. If we'd manage to grab a win against Wist 'Am we'd be top four ffs!

Lets just for once enjoy the results and remain blissfully ignorant of what is going on behind the scenes at the club because this run of form probably wont last much longer.

This thread has made it quite obvious that some people paint us in a bad light and want us to fail just for an excuse to hate Souness. To be perfectly honest I hate the mans guts and would love to see him and his 'proper' backroom staff given the boot but we are winning - It may not be pretty but we're doing it and that is all that matters. If we'd manage to grab a win against Wist 'Am we'd be top four ffs!

Lets just for once enjoy the results and remain blissfully ignorant of what is going on behind the scenes at the club because this run of form probably wont last much longer.

53361[/snapback]

Ignorance is bliss?

I agree to a certain extent, but performance is just as important as results, because it is the best indicator of how good we are. It's pretty frustrating at the minute, because although we are picking up points, you just know that with a better manager we could do so much better. With the money we've spent, and with the mediocrity of the EPL at the moment, there is no reason we shouldn't be pushing for second. As it is, I am just waiting for the mini-blip we're in to burst. We all know it will happen.

All this optimism is boiling my piss.

People say we're winning and that's what counts, but who are we beating? The Mackems, West Brom, Birmingham, Grimsby. The only team above us that we've beaten is Man City (and they're going to drop like lead balloons).

It's the same as last season when we went on a mid season 'run' but the quality of opposition was poor. The cup run(s) kept Souness in his job and we never beat anyone of quality in those.

Get a grip people, don't cling to the scraps being thrown at you, with the players we have it should be a joy to watch the Toon shitting on the majority of teams, but Souness is incapable of organising it.

It goes without saying it would be daft to sack him now, but I pray that Freddie the Hutt is looking at his options for next year.

People say we're winning and that's what counts, but who are we beating?  The Mackems, West Brom, Birmingham, Grimsby.  The only team above us that we've beaten is Man City (and they're going to drop like lead balloons).

It's the same as last season when we went on a mid season 'run' but the quality of opposition was poor.  The cup run(s) kept Souness in his job and we never beat anyone of quality in those.

Get a grip people, don't cling to the scraps being thrown at you, with the players we have it should be a joy to watch the Toon shitting on the majority of teams, but Souness is incapable of organising it.

It goes without saying it would be daft to sack him now, but I pray that Freddie the Hutt is looking at his options for next year.

53365[/snapback]

It reminds me exactly of last year, so much so I'm getting deja vu. There is no evidence we can beat anyone half decent. I expect a pitiful performance against Chelsea.

53361[/snapback]

Ignorance is bliss?

I agree to a certain extent, but performance is just as important as results, because it is the best indicator of how good we are. It's pretty frustrating at the minute, because although we are picking up points, you just know that with a better manager we could do so much better.

53363[/snapback]

You forget one thing Renton. I'm an armchair supports that doesn't go to games :D

Edited by Skol

I'm more optimistic than I was during our unbeaten run about this time last year, purely on the basis we have better players. The next 7-8 weeks though will really tell us how far we've came as we've got some really tough fixtures.

I'm more optimistic than I was during our unbeaten run about this time last year, purely on the basis we have better players. The next 7-8 weeks though will really tell us how far we've came as we've got some really tough fixtures.

53369[/snapback]

Got some easy ones too though. I really think the quality of the EPL is poor this year. And although we have bought some good players. we've also lost some good ones, but anyway, the main problem is still there - Souness and his band of merry parasites.

People say we're winning and that's what counts, but who are we beating?  The Mackems, West Brom, Birmingham, Grimsby.  The only team above us that we've beaten is Man City (and they're going to drop like lead balloons).

It's the same as last season when we went on a mid season 'run' but the quality of opposition was poor.  The cup run(s) kept Souness in his job and we never beat anyone of quality in those.

53365[/snapback]

I don't think for a second that we've suddenly turned a corner and are going to wipe the floor with everyone we play, but I'm fucked if I'm gonna mope around and whinge whilst we're winning games.

53365[/snapback]

I don't think for a second that we've suddenly turned a corner and are going to wipe the floor with everyone we play, but I'm fucked if I'm gonna mope around and whinge whilst we're winning games.

53375[/snapback]

Ooooooh, get her!

53361[/snapback]

Bollocks. I don't hate Souness, to the contrary I actually do like him. I just don't rate him as a manager. I'll have no problem with him when he was starting to be succesful. But for me that doesn't mean just winning games, but to restore confidence I'd like Newcastle to look superior to teams that are fighting against relegation. It also means that they have to get good results against the better teams on a constant basis. I'm happy about every game we are winning and that takes us up in the table, even if it means that those results will keep an average manager in charge of a good team. Because I share Alex's feelings that we have a better squad than last season. But I also want those players to show it.

Edited by Isegrim

53365[/snapback]

53375[/snapback]

Ooooooh, get her!

53379[/snapback]

Shut it, numb-nuts-misery-guts. :D

53365[/snapback]

53375[/snapback]

Ooooooh, get her!

53379[/snapback]

Shut it, numb-nuts-misery-guts. :D

53383[/snapback]

I'm not moping. I've enjoyed the last few wins as much as anyone. When I've gone to the hop of an evening I've been dancing a happier jig than I have in a long while. I do this more in the spirit of enjoying it while I can, rather than deluding myself that the Champions league is beckoning though.

Anyone who imagines for a second that Souness is getting us into the champions league is deluding themselves.

I'm not moping.  I've enjoyed the last few wins as much as anyone.  When I've gone to the hop of an evening I've been dancing a happier jig than I have in a long while.  I do this more in the spirit of enjoying it while I can, rather than deluding myself that the Champions league is beckoning though.

Anyone who  imagines for a second that Souness is getting us into the champions league is deluding themselves.

53397[/snapback]

It's about finding a balance though isn't it. I'd rather there was optimism on here than all that cobblers about being relegated that you have to endure on NO (Wullie is a canny lad, but I don't miss having to read his posts tbh :D ). I don't think we'll get into the Champions League, but it is a matter of fact that we are currently 3 points from a CL spot, and given our start to the season, I'm quite happy with that at the minute.

...our best team?

I think there were only 3 players missing from yesterdays team that some may debate could (on paper) improve the side. Carr, Boumsong and Luque.

Carr was good for a couple of seasons at Spurs, then actually excellent for one season when he looked like the best right back in the division at that time. He got that bad injury and we signed him,  I don't think he'll ever be that good again, so is Ramage an inferior player? Maybe, but not by much, at least defensively. I don't think Carr is really missed that much.

Boumsong has been poor this season. Could be a blip, like. Maybe Bramble/Taylor is a better partnership anyway, and that's important for centre backs. Is Boumsong missed much? I doubt it.

Luque hasn't played enough yet for anybody to make a judgement of how he'll perform in this league. But let's assume he's better than Zog. On that basis, I'd say Luque may have been the only player missing yesterday who might have made a difference.

So, from 4th, 3rd and 5th plus £50m spent we saw almost a full strength team yesterday of...

Given

Ramage, Bramble, Taylor, Babayaro

Solano, Parker, Emre, Zog

Shearer, Owen.

Put Luque in for Zog and that's about it, I reckon.

Scary stuff, iibafhwe.

53056[/snapback]

What no mention of Dyer? :D

Has he flown under your gaydar? :D

I'm not moping.  I've enjoyed the last few wins as much as anyone.  When I've gone to the hop of an evening I've been dancing a happier jig than I have in a long while.  I do this more in the spirit of enjoying it while I can, rather than deluding myself that the Champions league is beckoning though.

Anyone who  imagines for a second that Souness is getting us into the champions league is deluding themselves.

53397[/snapback]

It's about finding a balance though isn't it. I'd rather there was optimism on here than all that cobblers about being relegated that you have to endure on NO (Wullie is a canny lad, but I don't miss having to read his posts tbh :D ). I don't think we'll get into the Champions League, but it is a matter of fact that we are currently 3 points from a CL spot, and given our start to the season, I'm quite happy with that at the minute.

53402[/snapback]

Relegation was a possibility before the last minute acquisition of Owen imo. For the record, I'm currently enjoying my football more than I have in a long time. I've even applied for a ticket to see our annual massacre at Stamford Bridge, but it doesn't look like I'll get a ticket. Probably just as well given the price of them.

Could have sworn we won yesterday like.  We didn't blow them away but they came for a nil-nil and they nearly got it......nearly, but not quite.  Shit game, not a great performance, but 3 points on the board.

Still, if you're happier twisting after 4 wins on the bounce......

Oh and nice comment from the Doc. :D

53185[/snapback]

renewed optimism last heard when winning 8 games or whatever against pub teams last season. Not too far away from the mentioned 4 wins, against poor teams, all of whom had grounds for feeling they at least matched us, or looking at it the other way round, we were as bad as them.

And unfortunately, we still aren't in the top 4/5 position we were in before Souness arrived.

The post from isegrim is good reading.

53191[/snapback]

3 points off 4th tbh.

53195[/snapback]

3 points off 3rd actually...! :D

Some people will never be satisfied. I guess they'd be happier if we played 'pretty football' and got thumped 3-0 :D