House of Lords 'to be dragged into 21st century'

Park Life

"One of the most significant changes will finally bring an end to the centuries-old hereditary principle from Britain’s legislature. By-elections held on the death of a hereditary peer to elect a replacement will come to an end, and their number will gradually dwindle away.

One source said: “It’s taking a long time, but the House of Lords is finally being dragged into the 21st century.”

Shame. Some of these old renegade buffers are worth a hundred MP's when goaded. :rolleyes:

Edited by Park Life

It should go to celebrities when they're out of work. It could be offered as the runner up prize on 'I'm a Celebrity Get me Outta Here'. Celebrities are the new aristocracy after all.

Some of them but not nearly enough.

Lest one forget it was these old crunchies that held back the worst excesses of Thatcherism.

I would leave the Lords completely untouched and perhaps increase their powers to hold back/delay bad legislation.

Is there not something to be said for men and women who needn't fear falling foul of the electorate making difficult decisions? Decisions that, on the face of it, would be wildly unpopular and could therefore never be floated by elected parliamentarians.

Lest one forget it was these old crunchies that held back the worst excesses of Thatcherism.

I would leave the Lords completely untouched and perhaps increase their powers to hold back/delay bad legislation.

I don't know about leaving it untouched but there certainly needs to be stronger checks on the HoC and of course increased power means that the Lords will have to become more accountable.

Is there not something to be said for men and women who needn't fear falling foul of the electorate making difficult decisions? Decisions that, on the face of it, would be wildly unpopular and could therefore never be floated by elected parliamentarians.

My sentiments exactly.

They also tend to be completely unswayable after the 3rd G&T. :rolleyes:

I don't know about leaving it untouched but there certainly needs to be stronger checks on the HoC and of course increased power means that the Lords will have to become more accountable.

HoC is full of cunts and they need watching, HoL however has has very good grouping of good minds and strong alcohol.....The way forward imo.

HoC is full of cunts and they need watching, HoL however has has very good grouping of good minds and strong alcohol.....The way forward imo.

Well, whenever you become eligible to vote in this country you can have your say, until then, shut it you slaaaaaggg. :rolleyes:

Yes, because geriatric deranged old etonian in-bred syphilitic bastards with nothing better to do but sleep all day in the Lords are the guardians of democracy. Give it to the celebrities, at least they've earned it with raw talent. I doubt an aristo could hold down a bit part on Hollioaks.

Yes, because geriatric deranged old etonian in-bred syphilitic bastards with nothing better to do but sleep all day in the Lords are the guardians of democracy. Give it to the celebrities, at least they've earned it with raw talent. I doubt an aristo could hold down a bit part on Hollioaks.

3 out of 4 asleep in the back row.... :rolleyes: A resonable response to the daily boredom of politics..

44056.jpg

3 out of 4 asleep in the back row.... :rolleyes: A resonable response to the daily boredom of politics..

See, you wouldn't get that with the youthful vigour of a Tony Blackburn

Edited by Kitman

Thatcher speech to the Lords on the Maastricht treaty.

"I very much agree with the noble Viscount, Lord Tonypandy. Let me make it quite clear that we are now debating whether we go further with the Maastricht Treaty. I agree with his fundamental underlying assumption; namely, that it is that treaty which takes us over the top to a new political entity, a European union, which we have never had before. Before that, we had never gone that way but had kept quite a bit of sovereignty, and it is the last lot that we are in danger of losing."

'Kid' Jensen ftw. :)

"I very much agree with the noble Viscount, Lord Tonypandy. Let me make it quite clear that we are now debating whether we go further with the Maastricht Treaty. I agree with his fundamental underlying assumption; namely, that it is that treaty which takes us over the top to a new political entity, a European union, which we have never had before. Before that, we had never gone that way but had kept quite a bit of sovereignty, and it is the last lot that we are in danger of losing."

You missed off the next bit:

"And for that reason we will be climbing aboard our battleship and we will bombard Calais just like the good old days. We did not let the Argies intimidate us and we will not let the Brussels mussel munching leeches steal everything that makes this country great. We may have the body of a woman but we have the heart and brain of a lion. Wish us luck gentlemen."

'Kid' Jensen ftw. :)

Kid Jensen <_<

"And for that reason we will be climbing aboard our battleship and we will bombard Calais just like the good old days. We did not let the Argies intimidate us and we will not let the Brussels mussel munching leeches steal everything that makes this country great. We may have the body of a woman but we have the heart and brain of a lion. Wish us luck gentlemen."

:rolleyes:

It's a shame that word has gone from common usage.

I reckon we could take Spain and Belgium without too much kerfuffle. :)

:rolleyes:

It's a shame that word has gone from common usage.

I reckon we could take Spain and Belgium without too much kerfuffle. :)

The Faroe Islands could take Belgium <_<

44056.jpg

It's like the upper-class compartment on Incontinence Airways.

That bloke in the brown suit on the front row :) I'm surprised they're not reading him the last rites

3 out of 4 asleep in the back row.... :) A resonable response to the daily boredom of politics..

44056.jpg

It's like the upper-class compartment on Incontinence Airways.

That bloke in the brown suit on the front row <_< I'm surprised they're not reading him the last rites

Lovely leather for a quick kip. :rolleyes:

Hereditary peers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> politically appointed peers. :)

The whole point of the Lords is to act as a legislative safeguard, not to be filled up with people you own to get your latest knee-jerk fad, open ended, draconian, piece of :rolleyes: legislation passed (of course that is exactly what Governments think it should be).

Hereditary peers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> politically appointed peers. <_<

The whole point of the Lords is to act as a legislative safeguard, not to be filled up with people you own to get your latest knee-jerk fad, open ended, draconian, piece of :rolleyes: legislation passed (of course that is exactly what Governments think it should be).

Quite. :)