John Hartson

peasepud

Top Drawer Sandman- thoroughly engrossing post that.

I've always told anyone who'd listen we snowboarders have balls of steel. :rolleyes:

That's gotta be annoying at Airports. ... eh? eh? eh?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always told anyone who'd listen we snowboarders have balls of steel. :rolleyes:

:) well one of mine is now the same stuff as fake tits are made from, although a little smaller, jesus could you imagine that? a fake tit hangin under your old man? nightmare

:) well one of mine is now the same stuff as fake tits are made from, although a little smaller, jesus could you imagine that? a fake tit hangin under your old man? nightmare

Never again will I be able to covertly appraise a passing wench's "top bollocks" without an image of your scarred nutsack popping into my mind...

Cheers Sandman <_<

You dont often get stuff that hits hard on this board (this side anyway) but that hit me right in the nutsack. Needless to say that following it, it made me have a check around myself. A very courageous post, and thanks for sharing it with us. I wish you all the best for the future bud.

Never again will I be able to covertly appraise a passing wench's "top bollocks" without an image of your scarred nutsack popping into my mind...

Cheers Sandman <_<

Scared is the right word as well, image 14 stitches all coming off at the same time? bottom of my scrote looks like the somme

14 stitches? I've just had an involuntary "Sumo" reflex.

Btw, like Robchester, since reading your post, I've also done the self check.

If all the lads on here do the same, hats off to Sandman.

14 stitches? I've just had an involuntary "Sumo" reflex.

Btw, like Robchester, since reading your post, I've also done the self check.

If all the lads on here do the same, hats off to Sandman.

Good lad, if it helps one person then its well worth it :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Former Wales and Celtic footballer John Hartson has admitted he ignored signs of testicular cancer two years ago.

Speaking to The Sun, the 34-year-old said he did not go to a doctor after finding a lump and only sought medical help after blinding headaches.

Hartson, from Swansea, was released home from hospital on Tuesday after undergoing treatment for cancer.

He is having chemotherapy after being diagnosed with testicular cancer which spread to his lungs and brain.

The father-of-three, who also played for Arsenal and West Ham, urged men to get checked by doctors if they notice anything abnormal on their bodies or under their skin.

He told the newspaper that ignoring the growing lump was a "bloke thing".

"There was a lump in my testicles which I noticed a good while back. I just didn't do anything about it," he said.

"It was worrying, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't."

Hartson also revealed he had told his girlfriend Sarah McManus about the lump but informed her she should not worry.

"I should have gone to the doctor right away and things might be so different now," he said.

"Don't wait, because the cancer spreads and all of a sudden you're in big trouble."

Ms McManus told the paper: "Everyone is thrilled that John has been allowed home. But the last few weeks have been horrendous."

The Wales football team will wear a specially-designed patch supporting a cancer charity on Wednesday night and their shirts for the friendly against Montenegro will be auctioned on eBay following the game, the Football Association of Wales (FAW) confirmed.

An FAW official said: "We will have patches on the players' shirts for the match supporting a charity that works in aid of a cancer charity, checkemlads.com, specifically for male cancer problems.

"The players are concerned about John's situation. Apart from the patches on their shirts, they will also wear T-shirts during the warm-up for the match with John's name on them.

"Afterwards we will get all their shirts back and then auction them for charity."

Hartson was initially treated at Swansea's Morriston Hospital in south Wales before he was transferred to a cancer ward at Singleton Hospital in the city last week.

He was discharged from hospital on Tuesday.

His family has also issued a statement thanking all the staff at the two hospitals for "their support in getting John to this stage in his treatment".

In a statement on the FAW website, Ms McManus said: "Along with our chosen charity www.checkemlads.com who are forming a specific John Hartson Foundation, I would stress the importance of visiting the website, so that men can make themselves aware of how to check themselves and know the signs and symptoms of testicular cancer."

Hartson retired from football in February last year and had been working as a television pundit.

• 3 months later...

Awesome news ;)

Former Wales international footballer John Hartson has spoken of his relief at being told cancer has been "virtually eradicated" from his body.

The ex-Arsenal and Celtic striker was diagnosed in July with testicular cancer that had spread to his brain.

He was admitted to hospital in his home city of Swansea, where he was told the disease had also spread to his lungs.

Hartson, 34, said: "I'm not out of the woods yet, though this is my brightest day for a long time."

The footballer underwent emergency surgery after he was diagnosed with cancer and at one stage he was given a "50-50 chance" of surviving.

He went home from hospital in Swansea in August after completing the first phase of his chemotherapy treatment.

His agent Mark Brodie released a statement saying the cancer had been "virtually eradicated".

However, he said the footballer, who went on to become a TV pundit, still has an "arduous journey ahead to complete recovery" and requires extensive surgery to remove "abnormal masses" in his lung and brain over the forthcoming months.

But Hartson said the latest news is a huge boost.

"We've all been through so much and to get the news from the doctors that the cancer is going from me is fantastic," he said.

"I would like to thank every single person that has taken the time to either write to me, phone me or leave a message online, your ongoing support is helping me through the battle of my life and is keeping Sarah and the kids upbeat in such terrifying circumstances.

"I'm not out of the woods yet, though this is my brightest day for a long time."

He said well-wishers including cyclist and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong, and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, had kept him fighting.

'Turn back clock'

Hartson told BBC Wales last month that he wished he could turn the clock back four years and act as soon as he found a lump.

"From the first minute I felt a lump in my testicle I would be in the doctors," he said.

"You're never too busy are you - there's no excuses, I should have gone and had it checked out.

"I wouldn't have gone through all the rigmarole I've gone through possibly, the operations and everything else.

"I think I'd have had it nipped in the bud, avoided lots of chemo and operations."

He now wants to use his public profile to highlight the need for self-checking.

He hopes to get back into football once his treatment is completed and he has all the necessary coaching badges to enable him to resume his career once he is well enough.

He is also looking forward to the birth of his fourth child - his second with partner Sarah McManus, whom he plans to marry.

He already has two other children from a previous relationship.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8394822.stm