When Cooking...

Tom

How much in grams or oz is a ''cup''?

As in ''Two and a half cup of flour''

Having a curry day today, making my own Naan later ;)

Plus some Poppadoms but I'm confused about the kind of flour I need.

+ Madras Sambal & a Chicken Jalfrezi.

wikianswer:

It depends what you have in the cup. A cup is a measure of volume, but a gram is a measure of mass.

Depending on the density of the material you are going to have in the cup, the weight in grams of the material will vary. For example, if you fill the cup with lead, the cup will weigh much more than if you fill with feathers. This is why the cup is considered an unnecessary value of measurement, created by America to make things simpler for people who cook by an average, rather than precision.

This question would be similar to asking how much does a 6 foot person weight. It depends on the person of course. A cup of water will weigh more than a cup of flour.

For cooking, you can find tables that convert cups to grams and vice versa for a variety of food. To the left is a link with a table for standard cooking ingredients. Make sure you look carefully and scroll down to find the correct conversion table specific ingredient you are using! The conversion is different for each ingredient!

Here are A FEW COMMON FOODS and their conversion from cups to grams (notice how much the weight varies!):

Granulated sugar: 1 cup = 200 grams

Brown sugar: 1 cup, packed = 220 grams

Sifted white flour: 1 cup = 125 grams

White rice, uncooked: 1 cup = 185 grams

White rice, cooked: 1 cup = 175 grams

Butter: 1 cup = 227 grams

Almonds, slivered: 1 cup = 108 grams

Oil: 1 cup = 224 grams

Maple syrup: 1 cup = 322 grams

Milk, non-fat: 1 cup = 245 grams

Milk, sweetened condensed: 306 grams

Broccoli, flowerets: 1 cup = 71 grams

Raisins: 1 cup, packed = 165 grams

Milk, dry: 1 cup = 68 grams

Yogurt: 1 cup = 245 grams

Water: 1 cup = 236 grams

Confectioners sugar: 1 C = 110 g

Cocoa: 1 C = 125 g

2 girls, one cup !! ;)

Why don't people wear a fuckin' pinny when they're cooking ????? Come Dine With Me is always full of knackas who don't wear a fuckin' pinny when they're cooking. Just madness. Complete madness.

Any of you trolls out there go commando (i.e. pinny-less) ??

Also beware that Oztralian, US and UK Measurements are different for a teaspoon a cup etc

that's why its best to stay metric

Guest alex
2 girls, one cup !! ;)

Why don't people wear a fuckin' pinny when they're cooking ????? Come Dine With Me is always full of knackas who don't wear a fuckin' pinny when they're cooking. Just madness. Complete madness.

I wear a pinny and nothing else.

2 girls, one cup !! ;)

The people on that show are a joke surely? Not the 'celebrities' (though they are bad enough) They are pathetic, Im sure its all set up because real people cant be that stupid!

Guest alex
2 girls, one cup !! ;)

The people on that show are a joke surely? Not the 'celebrities' (though they are bad enough) They are pathetic, Im sure its all set up because real people cant be that stupid!

You're joking aren't you? The general public are thick as fuck!

The voice-over geezer makes that show btw.

2 girls, one cup !! ;)

Yes he's ok but honestly the show must have had to look far to find such idiots, it amazes me!

Guest alex
2 girls, one cup !! :lol:

Yes he's ok but honestly the show must have had to look far to find such idiots, it amazes me!

It's shit like but he's canny funny. Honestly though, I don't think they're any worse than your average everyday mong. Did you see the ones with the 'psychic' woman recently? What a bint. Class ;)

2 girls, one cup !! :lol:

It's shit like but he's canny funny. Honestly though, I don't think they're any worse than your average everyday mong. Did you see the ones with the 'psychic' woman recently? What a bint. Class ;)

Yes! :spinwank: I'm strangely drawn to watching it which I'm abit embarrassed to admit, my son takes the piss blind if he comes home and I'm caught watching it!

There was a middle aged lady the other day with a deep mans voice and her bottom lip stuck out, I was fascinated :spinwank: