Country Singers

LeazesMag

Emmylou Harris - the pure bluegrass is a bit too much for me but some of her later stuff is quality.

If you want to stretch the definition then two massive favourites of mine are Mazzy Star and Rilo Kiley - not strictly country but tinged with a bit.

I'd agree about reccomending Mazzy Star, particularly for Hope Sandoval's voice, not as country mind (though on the odd song i can perhaps see what you mean, the odd one is bluesey as well, but definitely worth a listen!

They are usually categorised as "dream pop" which also covers other bands I adore like Belly. However I think Mazzy Star fall into my particular take on country although admittedly with a bluesy touch as well - a niche also occupied in my tastes by early Texas.

Of course Hope also occupies a place in my pantheon of Godesses as well.

Yeah, they're down as "Dream Pop" on my iPod as thats what i found when i looked them up, also have Hope's album she did after Mazzy Starr and a My Bloody Valentine album. I'll have to check Belly out, any albums you'd reccomend?

I'll have to check Belly out, any albums you'd reccomend?

There are only two - Star and King - both great but you can also get a "best of" which includes a b-side called Thief which is quite simply the most beautiful song ever written.

You should also check out Tanya Donelly's solo albums.

Fucking Dream Pop :lol:

The church of guitar is a broad one - nothing to say I can't listen to a breathy-voiced goddess followed directly by a bit of Sabbath.

Woody Guthrie

This land is my land...

Bob Dylan in that case...

Wilco in that case...

Actually the Mermaid Avenue releases by Wilco and Billy Bragg of Woody Guthrie's material are a good listen

The Mojave 3 call earlier is a good one and Neil Halstead's solo 2002 solo album also falls into the contemporary country/folk genre and is brilliant.

Jon Spencer's latest project, Heavy Trash, is countryish but a bit heavier.

I'll have to check Belly out, any albums you'd reccomend?

There are only two - Star and King - both great but you can also get a "best of" which includes a b-side called Thief which is quite simply the most beautiful song ever written.

You should also check out Tanya Donelly's solo albums.

Cheers, i'll have a listen to them when i get the chance.