Country Singers

LeazesMag

can anybody recommend some for me ?

Don't particularly want cowboy sort of shite, but people like Glen Campbell.......I like odd tracks by the likes of John Denver, Nanci Griffith, Rose Garden by Lynn Anderson. That sort of thing.

Emmylou Harris - the pure bluegrass is a bit too much for me but some of her later stuff is quality.

If you want to stretch the definition then two massive favourites of mine are Mazzy Star and Rilo Kiley - not strictly country but tinged with a bit.

Emmylou Harris - the pure bluegrass is a bit too much for me but some of her later stuff is quality.

If you want to stretch the definition then two massive favourites of mine are Mazzy Star and Rilo Kiley - not strictly country but tinged with a bit.

I'd agree about reccomending Mazzy Star, particularly for Hope Sandoval's voice, not as country mind (though on the odd song i can perhaps see what you mean, the odd one is bluesey as well, but definitely worth a listen!

I'd agree about reccomending Mazzy Star, particularly for Hope Sandoval's voice, not as country mind (though on the odd song i can perhaps see what you mean, the odd one is bluesey as well, but definitely worth a listen!

They are usually categorised as "dream pop" which also covers other bands I adore like Belly. However I think Mazzy Star fall into my particular take on country although admittedly with a bluesy touch as well - a niche also occupied in my tastes by early Texas.

Of course Hope also occupies a place in my pantheon of Godesses as well.

I live in a household that hears an awful lot of the Dixie Chicks, Patty Loveless, Reba McEntire, Gretchen Peters, Trisha Yearwood and so on, so if it's the girly end of the market you're after, I could recommend stuff all night.

Two recent albums I'd definitely suggest you check out are "Rattlin' Bones" by Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson (even though they're Aussies - hey, who says it has to be authentic Nashville?) and "Coal" by Kathy Mattea, which - for all it's inspired by the hills of Kentucky - should strike a chord with anyone with Tyneside roots.

I'll ask the better half for some more blokey recommendations at some point. Brad Paisley springs to mind, but don't quote me on that.

Dude, download "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" from American IV by Johnny Cash. It came up on my shuffle playlist today. Duet with Nick Cave. Brilliant stuff.

"Carmelita" by GG Allin isn't bad either. Obviously, he's not exactly known for his country songs, but it's pretty fantastic.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

Why not go right back to where it all started and get The Carter Family album. A bit ropey in the recording (understandably so, given the age) , but it has tunes that stick in your heed, make no mistake.