Michael Jackson

Angelus71

Of course he was revolutionary that is without doubt and at a time there was a lot of things holding black music back. As I said earlier an artist can only hope to release 2/3 great works in their time and Thriller and Bad were that. IMO two of the greatest pop albums ever made.

:lol:

You mean Off The Wall?

Sorry, yes Off the Wall with Quincy Jones and those bedevelling guitar counter riffs. I was banging on about Bad in the MTV context. :(

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought his Jackson 5 stuff, Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad were all quality like. I can't be the only kid of my generation who he touched either.

Yeah Id say Jade Goody was ridiculous, not Michael Jackson.

Goody was a media invention, on the other hand Jacko invented the pop video, some legendary work. First black artist to get rotation on daytime MTV iirc.

He invented the excessively expensive pop video to prop up a mediocre song maybe. What does 'rotation on daytime MTV ' mean, is that a significant achievement? And what work do you regard as legendary?

Well, its been said this morning that him and Quincy Jones pulled together R & B,pop and Rock music in a way that had never been done before. I think that is pretty unarguable. Whether you liked it of course is entirely subjective. In a way he did a sort of reverse Elvis...he was (then) a black man using elements of popular music which were at the time seen as traditionally the preserve of white audiences and mixed them with what he was brought up with (R & B/Motown) to produce in the eighties two of the (and in fact the) biggest selling albums of all time.

That was a huge acheivement for someone who had been up till then mostly performing in the hugely ghettoised black music industry.Motown, the home of the Jackson 5, was very successful,but mainly sold to only black kids. MTV was starting up at the time and he and his record company could see the value of huge flashy videos to promote his music to a huge new audience in what could be termed "middle America". In this, him and Quincy Jones changed the face of popular music.

Excellent post.

It was also a time when MTV was quite keen to keep black and 'white' music apart in the schedules. "Bad" stopped all that shit in its tracks.

True. In a way he was a revolutionary artist. Pity about the way he went in his later years, but he means a lot to absoloutely millions of people who were brought up with his music.

Of course he was revolutionary that is without doubt and at a time there was a lot of things holding black music back. As I said earlier an artist can only hope to release 2/3 great works in their time and Thriller and Bad were that. IMO two of the greatest pop albums ever made.

I actually prefer Off the Wall, I think Thriller is let down by too much involvement with McCartney, the scouse cunt :lol: . Bad left me a bit cold too, but there were a cople of belting tracks on that. I think I was more interested in getting off my tits at the time it came out, yes I'm that old :(

You mean Off The Wall?

Sorry, yes Off the Wall with Quincy Jones and those bedevelling guitar counter riffs. I was banging on about Bad in the MTV context. :lol:

:(

Mind I loved Speed Demon.

When he danced with that Rabbit in Moonwalker.

Cool as

His 'big mate' Uri was on telly last night straight after it was announced 'Live from Berkshire' :lol: not looking arsed in the slightest.

Parky, with all the mystical bollocks and the love of Michael Jackson, I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't Uri Geller.

Wish I had his money. :(

Absolutely woeful after dinner / motivational speaker btw. 'I love me, who do you love?' basically.

You mean Off The Wall?

Sorry, yes Off the Wall with Quincy Jones and those bedevelling guitar counter riffs. I was banging on about Bad in the MTV context. :unsure:

Cool as

Who would have thought it would come down to me and you to make a last stand for old Jacko. :lol::dancing:

Parky, with all the mystical bollocks and the love of Michael Jackson, I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't Uri Geller.

Wish I had his money. :lol:

Absolutely woeful after dinner / motivational speaker btw. 'I love me, who do you love?' basically.

Dodgy fucker. Probably Mossad. :lol:

He has a massive house and grounds in Sonning, Berks iirc. Must have had a bloody good agent when he was bending his spoons.

He has a massive house and grounds in Sonning, Berks iirc. Must have had a bloody good agent when he was bending his spoons.

I think he wormed his way in as some sort of advisor to Jacko (and all the cash that probably entailed at the time).

Wish I had his money. :lol:

Dodgy fucker. Probably Mossad. :lol:

Easy Adolf.

You mean Off The Wall?

Sorry, yes Off the Wall with Quincy Jones and those bedevelling guitar counter riffs. I was banging on about Bad in the MTV context. :dancing:

Cool as

Who would have thought it would come down to me and you to make a last stand for old Jacko. :unsure::blush:

tbf there's only a couple of people saying they never liked him. Generally the guitar headed muso's. you'd have thought they'd love Give in To Me.

Thought his Jackson 5 stuff, Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad were all quality like. I can't be the only kid of my generation who he touched either.

:lol: there are some kids he touched quite deeply apparently

Wish I had his money. :unsure:

Dodgy fucker. Probably Mossad. :(

Easy Adolf.

Well I know a magician here who was one of his disciples, but that is another story. :lol:

You mean Off The Wall?

Sorry, yes Off the Wall with Quincy Jones and those bedevelling guitar counter riffs. I was banging on about Bad in the MTV context. :dancing:

Cool as

Who would have thought it would come down to me and you to make a last stand for old Jacko. :unsure::blush:

tbf there's only a couple of people saying they never liked him. Generally the guitar headed muso's. you'd have thought they'd love Give in To Me.

I sense someone might have a signed photo....

:unsure:

You mean Off The Wall?

Sorry, yes Off the Wall with Quincy Jones and those bedevelling guitar counter riffs. I was banging on about Bad in the MTV context. :scratchhead:

:dancing:

Cool as

Who would have thought it would come down to me and you to make a last stand for old Jacko. :blush: :blush:

:lol::(

You mean Off The Wall?

Sorry, yes Off the Wall with Quincy Jones and those bedevelling guitar counter riffs. I was banging on about Bad in the MTV context. :blush:

Cool as

Who would have thought it would come down to me and you to make a last stand for old Jacko. :dancing::scratchhead:

I'm not guitar headed :unsure:

The Michael Jackson South Park is possibly the funniest 20 minutes of TV ever.

No chance. It's difficult to effectively parody the already ridiculous, I can think of much better episodes.

Talk Sport are currently playing extracts of the Martin Bashir interview right now, it's extremely uncomfortable listening. You'd have to be a blind devotee not to see what Jackson was in his personal life.

Most news sources are calling it ''His Eccentric Personal Life'' rather than something more truthful or obscene.

Could his estate sue if anyone made any more extreme claims?

Can't really see the BBC saying "he got off with it but we all know he was a fiddler!"