Michael Jackson

Angelus71

I don't think many of those had an international number one BEFORE they were forty, let alone after.

Either way, it's not even about quality which is subjective, it's about transcending music. It might be that you don't like Michael Jackson. But he's been the most prominent pop culture icon for 30 year, whatever his output.

I don't think having a number one really matters.

I'm not sure Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin ever had a number one single but they shifted plenty of records.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lennon was incredibly special all round and Jackson shouldn't really be mentioned in the same sentence.

John Lennon released some absolute gash like

He did indeed. I think the difference between the two is outlined by Renton though in that you got the feeling there was no way Jackson would ever do anything decent ever again (plenty evidence to back that up as well).

He died 10 years earlier than Wacko though...most people would agree that your forties on isn't really going to be peak of anyone's pop powers.

Some artists buck the trend. Van Morrison, Tom Waits to name two.

Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Leadbelly, BB.King, Lightnin' Hopkins, Johnny Cash and a few more all peaked very late.

I don't think many of those had an international number one BEFORE they were forty, let alone after.

Either way, it's not even about quality which is subjective, it's about transcending music. It might be that you don't like Michael Jackson. But he's been the most prominent pop culture icon for 30 year, whatever his output.

At his peak he was an unstoppable force no doubts.

Diddy: Michael Jackson showed me that you can actually see the beat. He made the music come to life!! He made me believe in magic. I will miss him!

Samantha Ronson: His music is just as relevant now as it was the day they pressed record, I'm sure it will remain so for generations to come.R.I.P.Mr Jackson.

Dane Cook: I'm dedicating my show 2night to Michael Jackson. THRILLER got me laid. Well... At least thats what I told my friends.

Heidi Montag: the world has suffered a GREAT loss today Michael Jackson my thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and fans God bless.

Ice T: Rest In Peace Mike. People can say what they want but you were 100% original. WE will always love , miss & remember your GREATNESS.

John Mayer: Dazed in the studio. A major strand of our cultural DNA has left us. RIP MJ. I think we'll mourn his loss as well as the loss of ourselves as children listening to Thriller on the record player.

Ashley Tisdale: So sad. Saying a prayer for Michael Jackson.

Miley Cyrus: michael jackson was my inspiration. love and blessings

Ludacris: If it were not for Micheal Jackson I would not be where or who I am today.His Music and Legacy will live on Forever.Prayers to the famR.I.P.

MC Hammer: I have no words.. I loved Michael Jackson.. RIP..

Kelly Rowland: Michael you left such a legacy on this earth, have touched SO MANY!!! We thank you for such a driving inspiration in music & our lives!! This has got to be one of the saddest days in music history!! Michael Rest In Peace! WE miss you!

Star Jones: Death comes to all. But great achievements build a monument." He IS and WAS the greatest entertainer of all times...Peace to you brother.

I'm not sure Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin ever had a number one single but they shifted plenty of records.

...and you won't get a hoo hah on this scale when Dave Gilmour or Jimmy Page pops his clogs....as you didn't when Syd Barret did either.

White music doesn't matter.

Edit

In this context. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Lennon was incredibly special all round and Jackson shouldn't really be mentioned in the same sentence.

He did indeed. I think the difference between the two is outlined by Renton though in that you got the feeling there was no way Jackson would ever do anything decent ever again (plenty evidence to back that up as well).

He died 10 years earlier than Wacko though...most people would agree that your forties on isn't really going to be peak of anyone's pop powers.

Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Leadbelly, BB.King, Lightnin' Hopkins, Johnny Cash and a few more all peaked very late.

True. His influence on pop culture is lasting, that's unarguable. And his music will endure far longer than his reputation as a child molesting jelly faced madman too imo. Well the earlier stuff anyway.

True. His influence on pop culture is lasting, that's unarguable. And his music will endure far longer than his reputation as a child molesting jelly faced madman too imo. Well the earlier stuff anyway.

If someone molested your kids would you take money from the molester to let them off?

...and you won't get a hoo hah on this scale when Dave Gilmour or Jimmy Page pops his clogs....as you didn't when Syd Barret did either.

Neither Gilmore or Page are media whores/utter lunatics that mess with kids though.

Are you calling Led Zeppelin white music? :lol:

If someone molested your kids would you take money from the molester to let them off?

I only mentioned about his reputation.....

Culture is created by mad men.

Are you calling Led Zeppelin white music? :lol:

See edit. :(

I thought it was created by absinthe.

I thought it was created by absinthe.

...via absinthe perhaps.

Normal people make shit music.

Yeah Id say Jade Goody was ridiculous, not Michael Jackson.

Goody was a media invention, on the other hand Jacko invented the pop video, some legendary work. First black artist to get rotation on daytime MTV iirc.

He invented the excessively expensive pop video to prop up a mediocre song maybe. What does 'rotation on daytime MTV ' mean, is that a significant achievement? And what work do you regard as legendary?

Well, its been said this morning that him and Quincy Jones pulled together R & B,pop and Rock music in a way that had never been done before. I think that is pretty unarguable. Whether you liked it of course is entirely subjective. In a way he did a sort of reverse Elvis...he was (then) a black man using elements of popular music which were at the time seen as traditionally the preserve of white audiences and mixed them with what he was brought up with (R & B/Motown) to produce in the eighties two of the (and in fact the) biggest selling albums of all time.

That was a huge acheivement for someone who had been up till then mostly performing in the hugely ghettoised black music industry.Motown, the home of the Jackson 5, was very successful,but mainly sold to only black kids. MTV was starting up at the time and he and his record company could see the value of huge flashy videos to promote his music to a huge new audience in what could be termed "middle America". In this, him and Quincy Jones changed the face of popular music.

Excellent post.

It was also a time when MTV was quite keen to keep black and 'white' music apart in the schedules. "Bad" stopped all that shit in its tracks.

True. In a way he was a revolutionary artist. Pity about the way he went in his later years, but he means a lot to absoloutely millions of people who were brought up with his music.

Goody was a media invention, on the other hand Jacko invented the pop video, some legendary work. First black artist to get rotation on daytime MTV iirc.

He invented the excessively expensive pop video to prop up a mediocre song maybe. What does 'rotation on daytime MTV ' mean, is that a significant achievement? And what work do you regard as legendary?

Well, its been said this morning that him and Quincy Jones pulled together R & B,pop and Rock music in a way that had never been done before. I think that is pretty unarguable. Whether you liked it of course is entirely subjective. In a way he did a sort of reverse Elvis...he was (then) a black man using elements of popular music which were at the time seen as traditionally the preserve of white audiences and mixed them with what he was brought up with (R & B/Motown) to produce in the eighties two of the (and in fact the) biggest selling albums of all time.

That was a huge acheivement for someone who had been up till then mostly performing in the hugely ghettoised black music industry.Motown, the home of the Jackson 5, was very successful,but mainly sold to only black kids. MTV was starting up at the time and he and his record company could see the value of huge flashy videos to promote his music to a huge new audience in what could be termed "middle America". In this, him and Quincy Jones changed the face of popular music.

Excellent post.

It was also a time when MTV was quite keen to keep black and 'white' music apart in the schedules. "Bad" stopped all that shit in its tracks.

True. In a way he was a revolutionary artist. Pity about the way he went in his later years, but he means a lot to absoloutely millions of people who were brought up with his music.

Of course he was revolutionary that is without doubt and at a time there was a lot of things holding black music back. As I said earlier an artist can only hope to release 2/3 great works in their time and Thriller and Bad were that. IMO two of the greatest pop albums ever made.

As he was 99% plastic, Michael Jackson will be melted down to make lego - this means that kids will get to play with him for a change.

They better stand well back if they plan to cremate him, that's for sure.

Excellent post.

Of course he was revolutionary that is without doubt and at a time there was a lot of things holding black music back. As I said earlier an artist can only hope to release 2/3 great works in their time and Thriller and Bad were that. IMO two of the greatest pop albums ever made.

He's right up there with Meatloaf and Bon Jovi imo

:lol:

You mean Off The Wall?