Don't Forget

Monkeys Fist

"apathy is the death of democracy" = "pls pls vote or the BNP will get in"

It's a principle worth pursuing, but still... there's something faintly wrong about the whole affair.

"apathy is the death of democracy" = "pls pls vote or the BNP will get in"

It's a principle worth pursuing, but still... there's something faintly wrong about the whole affair.

In a nutshell

It's not apathy. Interest in politics is as high as it ever was. There's hardly been a front page in a month that hasn't featured a politician.

People don't vote because there's no party they feel represents them that has a chance. Perhaps party politics should be consigned to history and government should be ran as a true democracy by elected individuals without aligiences so you get true proportional representation.

It's not apathy. Interest in politics is as high as it ever was. There's hardly been a front page in a month that hasn't featured a politician.

People don't vote because there's no party they feel represents them that has a chance. Perhaps party politics should be consigned to history and government should be ran as a true democracy by elected individuals without aligiences so you get true proportional representation.

Aye, that would work just fine.......

Aye, that would work just fine.......

:icon_lol:

Sorted then. You do the paperwork, I'm going to sort out Palestine now.

Getting elected should be because the people agree with your policies, not because you agree with theirs... if that makes any sense. All too often the MPs seem to pander to public opinion rather than striding out on their own. I know it's a tv show, but the West Wing does highlight how backwards politics are. They do polls to find out what the people say they want, and following that.... rather than leading.

BNP win their first seat...

The British National Party (BNP) has won its first county council seat in Lancashire in the party's stronghold of Burnley.

In the first three results to be announced from the count, the BNP won one seat on Lancashire County Council and the Liberal Democrats two seats.

All six seats had been held by Labour since 2005. Three more results were still to come in.

Burnley already has four BNP members who sit on the local borough council.

The BNP's Sharon Wilkinson defeated Labour's Marcus Johnstone in the Padiham and Burnley West ward to gain her seat on the county council.

In Burnley, with 11% of its 65,000 electorate from ethnic minorities, mainly Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities, the turnout was around 35% from the first three results, well down from the 2005 election turnout of 59.54%.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/8085392.stm

Damning turnout.

I always thought the reason the NF seemed to be popular in the NE/among football fans in the early 80s was down to people not really having much experience of minorities with the NE being "whiter" than other urban areas.

It's sad to see the BNP doing so well in areas where the opposite is true.

Who did you vote for?

I voted for the green party. :icon_lol:

As good as spoiling my ballot.

Not really, it's PR and they already had two MEPs iirc. I fucking hate the Greens like, they're a bunch of dogmatic crettins who haven't got a clue.

Who did you vote for?

I voted for the green party. :icon_lol:

As good as spoiling my ballot.

Not really, it's PR and they already had two MEPs iirc. I fucking hate the Greens like, they're a bunch of dogmatic crettins who haven't got a clue.

:rolleyes:

Quite an "authoritative, arrogant assertion of an unproveable principle" there buddy....almost dogmatic. :icon_lol:

Edited by Happy Face